Any Playgrounds / Playscapes in FLE?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
I know that there has not been any further announcements past what we all know and discuss around here, but I was wondering what folks thought on this topic.
Previously, MK (more 'family' oriented park) had a couple of "playscapes" for the smaller kiddies to run around on. One in the Ariel's Grotto / Pooh area, and then Donald's Boat / Toontown playgrounds in TTF.

Now, with both of those areas gone (as soon as TTF close), do we know if there will be something added to FLE to make up for this? Potentially something easily themed to a circus would be an addition that they could announce later?

I know that most folks would rather have a ride than a playground that kids can find at home, but as a parent of a toddler, I can tell you that sometimes it's good to have a place for the little ones to run off some energy built up while waiting in line for something else. AK has the Boneyard, which is amazing. DHS has the HISTK area. Epcot, nothing really that I can think of.

I just thought that with MK being the most young-child friendly IMO, the loss of 2 play areas hurts while the kids are young and might be more excited to climb and slide than stand in line for 40 min for a ride.

Anyone have thoughts / heard anything? I tried searching around and had not seen mention of this in any of the plans that have been discussed.

Vernonpush

I know that there has not been any further announcements past what we all know and discuss around here, but I was wondering what folks thought on this topic.
Previously, MK (more 'family' oriented park) had a couple of "playscapes" for the smaller kiddies to run around on. One in the Ariel's Grotto / Pooh area, and then Donald's Boat / Toontown playgrounds in TTF.

Now, with both of those areas gone (as soon as TTF close), do we know if there will be something added to FLE to make up for this? Potentially something easily themed to a circus would be an addition that they could announce later?

I know that most folks would rather have a ride than a playground that kids can find at home, but as a parent of a toddler, I can tell you that sometimes it's good to have a place for the little ones to run off some energy built up while waiting in line for something else. AK has the Boneyard, which is amazing. DHS has the HISTK area. Epcot, nothing really that I can think of.

I just thought that with MK being the most young-child friendly IMO, the loss of 2 play areas hurts while the kids are young and might be more excited to climb and slide than stand in line for 40 min for a ride.

Anyone have thoughts / heard anything? I tried searching around and had not seen mention of this in any of the plans that have been discussed.
Well the Pooh area has been moved across the "street" to become part of the Pooh queue, so that one is still there. And Dumbo will probably have a similar "interactive" queue for the "little ones". I have a feeling that the queue for TLM will have the same type of "distractions" (as well as the 7 Dwarves Mine Cars-or what ever they will call it- if that is still on the table :shrug:).

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Well the Pooh area has been moved across the "street" to become part of the Pooh queue, so that one is still there. And Dumbo will probably have a similar "interactive" queue for the "little ones". I have a feeling that the queue for TLM will have the same type of "distractions" (as well as the 7 Dwarves Mine Cars-or what ever they will call it- if that is still on the table :shrug:).

There is a big differnece between "distractions" and actual areas for them to run and play. The old Pooh area had climbing, sliding, etc that can 1) entertain and 2) burn off some excess energy for kids.

I can speak from experience because I know based on our last trip with the Pooh queue open (minus the Tigger area). We only made it to Toontown Fair on our last day of the trip, and previous to that, the only place we could let our little one loose was the Pooh queue. What happened is that she only wanted to play in the house, in the garden, and was VERY hard to drag out of the play area in order to keep our place in line. Luckily, on a night of MVMCP, when there was nearly no line, we were able to just let her run and play in that area as much as she wanted, as the line was not even out to the end of the "honey walls". On a busy day of any sort though, this isn't an option.
Again, it's not something I'd think of as "required" for FLE, or that I'd be dissapointed if they left out for better things. On the whole, the MK is the best in terms of things that a smaller child can ride/do. It's just something I was wondering if anyone had heard them considering, since we just returned from our trip and it was something I noticed.

Skipper03

Ya know, I always hated those play areas and thought they were a waste of space!

But now I have a 4 month old and planning our trip in 2012, I'm thinking I know how 2 year olds operate (with a niece already) and those things have got to be life-savers! I really hope they will pop up somewhere...

Oh - and you forgot to mention the largest of all, Tom Sawyer Island.

redshoesrock

Oh - and you forgot to mention the largest of all, Tom Sawyer Island.

I agree, Tom Sawyer Island is quite a playground. I don't know how old your children are, but TSI is a huge area for kids to run around and explore; it tends to be overlooked and forgotten because it's isolated from the rest of the park via the Rafts.

GymLeaderPhil

There is also the small playground underneath the Frontierland Railroad Station, the Leaky Tikis between Aladdin and Jungle Cruise, and the Swiss Family Robinson (a bit of a stretch.)

Our family is going to miss the Pooh's playground. My little girl use to love it and yes it was a stopping point for us to let her out of the stroller and run around - a lot.

I really can't think of another spot that we are going to be able to do that with my son - who is now a toddler.

~Amanda

Ignohippo

I'm still of the thought that the plans we've seen aren't the end for Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland expansion plans. It may be two or three years from now, but I'm sure we'll get either a Toy Story Playland or true Toon Town in the next few years on the other side of the railroad tracks.

It doesn't make sense to tear down TTF - a place built for families with small children - and not replace it with something much better for the same demographic. There will be way too many angry visitors if that's the case, which is why I'd bet it will be coming sooner rather than later. I think it's been part of the longterm plans all along but not part of this phase or budget.

raven

Yes. Scuttle's Scavenger Hunt (or another similar title) ajoining the Little Mermaid ride directly to the west along the northern boundary of the new FLE.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Yes. Scuttle's Scavenger Hunt (or another similar title) ajoining the Little Mermaid ride directly to the west along the northern boundary of the new FLE.

How is it that a hearing about a simple play area could make me this happy? I know that most folks see it as wasted space, but sometimes these things can be a very, very welcome thing for parents with young children.

AEfx

This forum tends to be anti-family.

I'm kidding. Sorta. Not really.

I don't know what you are talking about.

I don't have toddlers, or any kids for that matter, but I *LOVE* these playgrounds.

Keeps the little buggers out of my hair, and from acting like brats in lines, attractions, and restaurants I'm trying to enjoy with those who don't scream and cry (unless it's in the privacy of their own bedroom).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom