Any News or Updates on the Contemporary DVC?

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Well, the title says it all. Anyone down there have any news, pics, updates, info on this since we last discussed it on here? The last I heard they were marking the ground for dig sites and other foundation areas. Then the concept art was found and posted, which all but confirmed that this is happening.

Thanks in advance! :)

lewisc

Some people don't think Disney can complete enough of a Contemporary DVC in order to start selling prior to selling out SSR. If true Disney would have no choice but build something like AKL DVC first, maybe at the same time.

GioGoof

I stayed at the Contemporary resort from 9/27/06 to 10/1/06 in a standerd room in the south wing but had some of my family staying in the north wing I was not able to be together with them cause the hotel was sold out, they had too many conventions going on that week, anyways the lady at the front desk told me the north wing was closing in october

Main Street USA

Original Poster
I stayed at the Contemporary resort from 9/27/06 to 10/1/06 in a standerd room in the south wing but had some of my family staying in the north wing I was not able to be together with them cause the hotel was sold out, they had too many conventions going on that week, anyways the lady at the front desk told me the north wing was closing in october
Yeah, and see this is what makes me think it's happening sooner than later. If they're closing the North Wing, it has to be for a purpose. They wouldn't just let it sit there when it could be full of paying guests. Hmm........anyone else?

I'd be very interested in an AKL DVC just as much, though. It'd be cool to buy into DVC at the AKL for the minimum, and if the Contemp opens later, buy more points there.

I suppose I should've posted this thread in the DVC forum, huh?

Mufasa's Pride

For whatever it's worth, Mouseplanet's update today is stating that it believes there will first be an announcement of a DVC resort at AKL, followed by one out at Disneyland, then the one at the Contemporary.

Quotes fom Mouse Planet:
Disney Vacation Club rumors take another left turn

Rumors indicating that the Contemporary Resort's North Garden Wing could be completely rebuilt as Disney Vacation Club lodgings are still strong, but we're now hearing that the next DVC resort to be announced will be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Contemporary DVC building will reportedly not be started until after the first DVC resort is built in California. The California resort would immediately follow the Animal Kingdom Lodge resort. A preview center for the Animal Kingdom Lodge DVC resort is being set up in the theater at the Saratoga Springs Resort.

scottnj1966

Nothing being done at Contemporary except the refurb of the one wing. No major building going on.

I have seen the picture fo that hugh thing they want to add. It will make that laggoon look like any other florida city with water....condoville.
I sure hope if they do it they will re-think the design.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Nothing being done at Contemporary except the refurb of the one wing. No major building going on.

I have seen the picture fo that hugh thing they want to add. It will make that laggoon look like any other florida city with water....condoville.
I sure hope if they do it they will re-think the design.
Didn't they already finish the South Wing refurb? I understod it as they were doing the South wing first, then the North Wing would be closed for what they called a "refurb" but, in reality, it will be closed to convert and build new DVC rooms.

If they aren't beginning building the DVC there soon, then there's no reason to close the North Wing. They won't refurb it and THEN tear it down.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Concourse also isn't done yet. I think everything on that project is behind schedule.

From what I heard, things went awry a while back with shipments getting horribly delayed and then when it reached the highest concierge level, they had to slash budget due to delays and just reapolstered the furniture rather then buying new.

Now, the Concourse has removed the crap-tastic pin station and is awaiting its new stores and the rest of the changeover, that i beleive is supposed to start soon.

STOLport is still scheduled to become a no-man no-use zone for reasons unknown as well.

artvandelay

Here's an idea from left field. What if Disney isn't building a DVC resort at the Contemporary, but was building an actual vacation condo development? Some major resorts are doing this. The Atlantis (Bahamas) is building an entire tower that will be condo's that you can rent back to the hotel. You own all 52 weeks a year to your condo. The new tower is connected to the hotel and you have full rights to the entire Atlantis property. Also, the Plaza Hotel in NYC is doing something similar.

Think how much Disney could get for 1, 2 ,3 bedroom condo's right next to the Magic Kingdom, and access to the monorail. A lot of people bought into Celebration because it was Disney. THis is not only built by Disney, it's right next to MK!

Just an idea I had. I have no source, other than my imagination.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
That would be an amazing space for such a development. Although, I can see them getting an incredible amount of complaints. Having people actually live there would ruin the magic of the "seperated from the real world" feeling you get when locked inside the imaginary walls of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom