Any new thunder mountain info?

Bubbamel

Original Poster
Hi all!

Things have been pretty mum about big thunder. I was wondering and hoping someone had new info regarding what has been completed, and what is left to do? I remembered reading about trains being run soon for testing? Thanks so much.

-Mel

mad626

Just the info we wanted to hear. Going to Disney in 10 days and we are hoping there will be a soft opening. Thanks!

I doubt soft openings would start anytime soon. Was there today and rode past on the railroad. There is boards and plywood up all over the place. Wire frame of rockwork that is being redone and tools laying about. Looks like a long way yet to go.

Scuttle

Two things I hope when Big Thunder reopens: earthquake/falling rock scene is fixed and that the Tom Sawyer's Island paintbrush hunt starts again. A cast member told me that the paint brushes would once Thunder opens. I'm not so optimistic about the falling rock scene though.

Tom

Beta Return
Two things I hope when Big Thunder reopens: earthquake/falling rock scene is fixed and that the Tom Sawyer's Island paintbrush hunt starts again. A cast member told me that the paint brushes would once Thunder opens. I'm not so optimistic about the falling rock scene though.

If they didn't fix ALL effects, including falling rocks, their money would have been better spent tearing it down.

MerlinTheGoat

If they didn't fix ALL effects, including falling rocks, their money would have been better spent tearing it down.

Well i wouldn't go THAT far, but i concur with the sentiment of disgust if it turns out not everything is fixed after all the time and work they're apparently putting into it. I heard the falling rocks are now a projection effect (added in prior to the mountain's closure in fact). What i'm not sure about is whether the sides of the rock walls will move again, or also be replaced with some sort of digital mapping trick. Wasn't that the part that fell on people at Paris and was covered with a tarp for the longest time at WDW?

I also hope they don't neglect to add back in any of the animal figures either. Several were removed, including the funny gag where you fly past the tree and the hanging possums above you will spin around the branch (cartoon style). Little detail i always loved and made me laugh, but management removed them for some reason (along with i think several other animals) sometime early last year (or was it late 2010? forgot). I dunno if they were broken or what, they were literally there and working one day but the branch was empty the very next day i visited.

tl77

are they bringing back the water/floor effect? I remember it back in the 80's but it's been gone a long time

coolbeans14

Wasn't that the part that fell on people at Paris and was covered with a tarp for the longest time at WDW?

I believe the Paris incident was that the piece fell on the train section at the front, and then parts of it broke off hitting people. As far as I know, that still isn't back at Paris, and for a while every overhead moving piece on any ride was turned off.

It would surprise me if they don't fix effects. On a side note, have they repainted the mountain, like they did with Paris' last year?

tl77

I don't know what this is. Do you have a link? :wave:

This scene used to have rushing water moving through it

dsc01958_0.jpg

lebeau

A friend of mine is leaving this weekend. I think he'll be down there through the 26th or 27th. They are hoping for a soft opening before the official date of the 28th. Anyone know what their chances are?

wdw71fan

the guy in the bathtub is a classic that has been there since BTMRR opened.

2 of the 'engines' are still in the paint shop being worked on, just fyi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom