Any hints as to when Trader Sam's Grog Grotto re-opens?

DoleWhipDrea

Original Poster
I am wondering if perhaps it would re-open post-refurbishment of the Polynesian, which is coming up. Has anyone heard anything? Is it wishful thinking - I know it's a tight space and a bar, so Disney may be hesitant to re-open it for a while.

Stevek

Take it for what it's worth, a rumor, but supposedly Sam's Grog Grotto

From the article: "In its place, according to what we’ve been told about the contractor bids, will be a restaurant devoted to S.E.A."

Weather_Lady

From the article: "In its place, according to what we’ve been told about the contractor bids, will be a restaurant devoted to S.E.A."

That sounds... weird.

Is the linked site a reputable one?

Weather_Lady

DIsney...let's spend more money (that we don't have) to change things that no one is offended by to appease the Twitter mob...
I don't think there's even a Twitter mob upset about this. It's a manufactured controversy.

I think Disney has discovered that if it claims it's making changes because of [imaginary] widespread political correctness "objections," it can justify decisions that would otherwise be uniformly disliked, and can obfuscate the real reason for those changes (its own financial gain or convenience).

That's not to say that some of the changes made in the name of toning down offensive content (e.g., the POTC wench-chasing) haven't been made in response to legitimate and repeated criticism, but it appears Disney is now using the "somebody complained, so we have to do this" excuse as a pretext for every unpopular decision, whether it's accurate or not.

Stevek

I don't think there's even a Twitter mob upset about this. It's a manufactured controversy.

I think Disney has discovered that if it claims it's making changes because of [imaginary] widespread political correctness "objections," it can justify decisions that would otherwise be uniformly disliked, and can obfuscate the real reason for those changes (its own financial gain or convenience).

That's not to say that some of the changes made in the name of toning down offensive content (e.g., the POTC wench-chasing) haven't been made in response to legitimate and repeated criticism, but it appears Disney is now using the "somebody complained, so we have to do this" excuse as a pretext for every unpopular decision, whether it's accurate or not.
I have yet to read anything, anywhere, about folks being upset by either Trader Sam’s. That being said, there were several members of the Sam’s fanbase that were worried this would happen. This 100% feels like an over correction if true but that’s what Disney does now.

ElvisMickey

There isn't. They're preemptively going and taking away ANYTHING that has the slightest possiblity of being offensive to anyone. Just in case! Sort of like what they did to Snow White's Scary Adventures in Disneyland, then people still found something to complain about.

nickys

Premium Member

The possible retheme is already being discussed in the Poly refurb thread. The signs have been taken down.

Stevek

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom