Any DVC members here? I've got a few questions ...

Holly

I stopped by the DVC desk in our hotel to ask a few questions - admittedly, I'm pretty timeshare ignorant ... I really don't understand how it works. We could have gone on their "tour" but really didn't have a second to spare to do it.

I asked if they had some info that I could take with and they said nope. So I've been doing some sleuthing around online, but is there a knowledgable person here that could cut to the chase and answer a few questions for me?

How exactly does DVC work? I understand that you pay a certain amount to join (I think the basic level was around $12,000) and then you pay yearly dues - correct?) How much exactly do those yearly fees run?

If you planned to visit WDW every year - does DVC really make sense? Are you able to get the time period you want or do you run into a lot of blackout/not available periods?

I'm mulling over calling DVC directly - but I'd like some basic knowledge first. Anyone want to help?

dreamer

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
IMHO this whole DVC club thing sounds like way more trouble than it's worth...

My head hurts from just reading this thread! :lol:

I think most DVC members are happy. I'm very happy we joined and would join again in a heartbeat. The DVC resorts are perfect for my family. I like the point system and its flexibility. And the DVC "cast members" have always been fantastic to deal with on the phone -- very professional and helpful and friendly.

However, I have been candid in my posts about the financial details because I think people deserve to know the pros and the cons before they buy in to something like this. Except for the extremely wealthy, it would be foolish to buy into a timeshare without looking at the details.

As long as you know the fine print: If you want a "home away from home" at Disney and can afford it, DVC is great and comes with my recommendation!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

dreamer

Originally posted by GalacticGobbler
We just got back from our first DVC trip. After staying for a week at the Beach Club Villas, it confirmed for us that we made the right choice.

Not only were the rooms and grounds great, but you can't beat a 5 minute walk from the room to the international gateway.

Not to mention the 5 minute walk to the Boardwalk!!

And the 3 minute walk to Stormalong Bay!!

:cool:

Upvote 0

bvolguards

I just joined last month and I was wondering if anyone in here has used their points for one of the adventure packages (safari, rafting trip etc.) or used them to stay at any hotels overseas.....we live only about 2 hours from disney and go 7 to 8 times a year...we usually get pretty good deals on resort rooms (we are annual passholders and Florida residents)...so I plan on banking the points and using them for one of the above mentioned trips every other year or so..so my question is... is that smart or am I wasting my money and my points...thanks in advance for any advice:)

Upvote 0

lilkitty819

Hi all

My hubby and I are talking about purchasing into DVC...there's something else to remember, the fee's you pay each year are considered property taxes so there deductable on your income tax's....just another thought for someone thinking about buying in...:eek:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by bvolguards
I just joined last month and I was wondering if anyone in here has used their points for one of the adventure packages (safari, rafting trip etc.) or used them to stay at any hotels overseas.....we live only about 2 hours from disney and go 7 to 8 times a year...we usually get pretty good deals on resort rooms (we are annual passholders and Florida residents)...so I plan on banking the points and using them for one of the above mentioned trips every other year or so..so my question is... is that smart or am I wasting my money and my points...thanks in advance for any advice:)

I think it is generally considered that outside of Disney trips don't save you money, unless you count trips after you get your investment back. It is already paid for so the amount of the dues makes for a cheap trip.

For anyone considering joining DVC any trips that aren't WDW or DL cost 75$ registration trip fee.

For us if we bank, borrowed and used 3 years points we still couldn't aforrd the African safari!!!!!!! My hubbies best friend is getting married in Kenya next year and we would love to go, but I just can't see making the transatlanic fight with a todler!!!!!!

Upvote 0

GalacticGobbler

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
That is so good to hear. Our first DVC trip is in 2 1/2 months and we are staying at BCV!!!! Can't wait to go. Did you notice any rehab around the Beach Club resort?

Didnt see any outside rehab, but the first floor rooms facing the canal(Epcot) at the Beach Club were undergoing a total rehab no carpet floor back to concrete. It was not affecting use of the sidewalk or the look of the outside.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

The simplest way to put it is, you make a one time purchase of your choice of points. So, each year, you have, say 175 points to use in any way you wish.
You are given a yearly point guide which tells you how many points each resort "costs" for each different time of the year.

So, say a resort might consume the following points:

Weekend Weekday
"Off-Peak": 12 7
"Peak": 20 13

This is just an example/estimate, but basically, you are free to spread out your points however you choose for whatever time of year. In other words, you can maybe take one long "busy" week or two weeks during a slower time of year, etc. etc.

Regardless, we have been members since 1998 and we completely broke even just this past year, but can still enjoy membership for the next 39 years.

I would recommend DVC for ANYONE who visits WDW. NO matter how often you go, it will be worth it in the long run. If you decide not to go one year, you can bank points for the next. If you want to take a big, long trip, you can borrow points from next year. If you want to extend a trip, you can pay for additional time just as you would for a normal WDW vacation.

WDW- Been there, done that- going back (Dec. '03 I hope!)

Upvote 0

jazzylsu

All the business talk is very helpful, but as a mom having a kitchen for breakfast, a washer/dryer so there is less packing for the trip, and a whirlpool tub to soak in after a long day at WDW pays for itself each year that we go. We LOVE being DVC members.:D

Upvote 0

dlfan1313

Hi everyone

Since we're having this discusion I was hoping someone could awnser my questions. First of I live in Wa. which has no leagle agreement with DVC so I am unable to even send an E-mail, does anyone know a way around this. I was also wondering if intial 12000 cost could be deffered in a payment plan. If i end up someday convincing my wife to move to Celebration is there a way to sell back my share.

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

SamatBCV

Originally posted by dlfan1313
Hi everyone

Since we're having this discusion I was hoping someone could awnser my questions. First of I live in Wa. which has no leagle agreement with DVC so I am unable to even send an E-mail, does anyone know a way around this. I was also wondering if intial 12000 cost could be deffered in a payment plan. If i end up someday convincing my wife to move to Celebration is there a way to sell back my share.

Thanks for the help

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about living in Wa. However, yes, you can use a payment plan on the initial buy in cost. You can also pay the annual maintenance fees in monthly installments (but they must be directly debited from your bank).

If you use a payment plan, you can go with Disney's, or you can get a home equity loan (which would be my reccomendation due to the rate) if you qualify.

You can sell your shares, but usually you would sell to someone else, not back to Disney. Disney reserves the right to refuse the sale (if they refuse it, I believe they have to buy it at the price you were offered). They reserve this right so that another company, like Universal, can't come in and basically take over the DVC.

Hope this helps.:D

Upvote 0

wdwguru

We bought into DVC in 2001 to ensure that we would always be able to take a vacation and because we liked the idea of having more room. The first time we looked into it was 1998. We signed up and backed out within the 30 day grace period. Big mistake :hammer:. We have been to many timeshare presentations since our initial check into DVC in 1998 and the only downside to DVC is that it is a 40 year lease and not deeded. Otherwise, I find it is superior to most of other timeshares and affordable. I find the point system user friendly. We bought the minimum number of points (150) and banked our first year's points. Six months after we bought in we used two years worth of points to stay 2 nights at AKL, 2 nights at the Polynesian, and take a 3 night cruise for a family of four and we still had points left over. We are using this years points to stay in a 2 BR villa at BCV with my inlaws. If we were to pay for the same room, it would cost over $3K for the 5 nights. I have DEFINITELY gotten my moneys worth so far.

Also, the interest you pay on your loan is tax deductible as a vacation home, as well as the taxes paid.

I LOVE DVC! :D

12 days and counting! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom