Any Disney Vacation Club People

Pilgrim1000

Right now me and my wife are seriously considering joining the Disney Vacation Club. We have read lots about the benefits of the DVC and have heard about people who have enjoyed it. What I am looking for is if anyone out there regrets joining the DVC, has had major problems getting the rooms they wanted when they wanted them, or has had other major problems. We have become Disney regulars, and would like to do this if it really works like advertised.

Also, if in your opinion I am insane for asking this question, please state that also. It's just that coughing up $11,000 kind of makes a person think first, even if it is to Disney. Thank you for all your opinions.

PS: If you know of any other working DVC chatrooms or discussion boards where I can also ask this, please let us know.
I recently posted a question on WDWINFO, but that board is currently down.

1992 Disney Village
2000 All Star Music
2001 Animal Kingdom and Port Orleans
2002 Animal Kingdom

Worldphile

We looked at the DVC last time we were down there, and I just couldn't convince myself that it made financial sense for us.

First, the intiation fee, or entrance fee, or buy-in or whatever you want to call it is currently $11,000. Then, the DVC rep we talked to estimated monthly assessments, taxes, etc. at ~$50.00 (as a side note, I'd like to hear from some existing DVC club members what their monthly fees are.) So, that is an additional $600.00 per year in recurring fees.

We usually travel to WDW during value season, and can get a nice resort (WL for example) for ~ $200.00 per night. So, if I stay for 5 nights, that is $1,000. That is only $400.00 more than my yearly assessments. So, I'm only really saving $400.00 per year. $11,000 divided by $400.00 means it will take ~27 years to make back my initial $11,000 "investment."

Also, even if you are in the DVC, all of the other costs associated with your WDW vacation are still there (i.e. air fare, park passes, meals, souveniers, etc.) so even though a WDW vacation may cost you $2,500 dollars total, only $1,000 is lodging.

I guess if you travel to WDW >1 time per year, or stay > 1 week per year, it might make more sense and you might be able to realize savings more quickly.

Like I said, this analysis applies to my situation only, so YMMV. (Or, I may be completely wrong in how I am looking at this, and if so, would appreciate any input.)

Upvote 0

rob_b

Worldphile - Here is some $$ data from a DVC member.

We have 220 points. I paid off our loan in 1 year.

Yearly dues come out to around $800. (Wow, I pay that much) It comes out monthly.

With 220 point you can do alot. 2 1/2 weeks a year during value season. We sometimes take family or friends. We just ask they pitch in for plane tickets.

I don't think we save alot of money. The primary reason we purchased is due to the fun factor. WDW is a great place to vacation.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by rob_b
Worldphile - Here is some $$ data from a DVC member.

We have 220 points. I paid off our loan in 1 year.

Yearly dues come out to around $800. (Wow, I pay that much) It comes out monthly.

With 220 point you can do alot. 2 1/2 weeks a year during value season. We sometimes take family or friends. We just ask they pitch in for plane tickets.

I don't think we save alot of money. The primary reason we purchased is due to the fun factor. WDW is a great place to vacation.

How difficult is it to get the EXACT week you want? What are the chances of getting, say the week between Christmas and New Year's, or spring break. How far in advance do you have to start planning? How many points can you accumulate before you must use them? Can you use them for more than one villa if you have adequate points?

Upvote 0

rob_b

Mom,

How difficult is it to get the EXACT week you want?

I have never had a problem with reservtions. But we allways vacation during sept. As far as I know its not really an issue.

What are the chances of getting, say the week between Christmas and New Year's, or spring break?

As far as I know only the Christmas time has a lottery. You basiclly sign up and hope for the best.

How far in advance do you have to start planning?

For your home resort you can book 11 months out. For any other DVC resort its 7 Months out.

How many points can you accumulate before you must use them?

You are allowed to bank and barrow one years worth of points. If I have 150 points. Say in 2000 I bank the points. In 2001 I would then have 300 points. I could also barrow 150 from 2002. I then could use 450 during 2001. Its a very flexible system. Keeping track of points I find to be fun.

Can you use them for more than one villa if you have adequate points?

Yes, If you mean more then one resort. You can also stay at any of the hotels. There are some limits not sure what they are. I think some members own over a 1000 points.

Hope this helps!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

My husband and I (this is Mrs. Dis-Phd.) are seriously considering joining right now. We just got back from WDW in Dec and while we did not have time to go to a presentation about DVC I did give a lady my name and number while hunting for my husband and baby. They called us at home and we have been discussing joining. At frist we thought no, I don't see how you save money in the long run, and the 11,000 to join, hey that is almost a new car (mind you a cheap new car.) and their finance rate is currently 10% ouch.

They fed-exed us a book and video on it and have answered all our question over the phone. I wish I had checked it out when we were there.

We were thinking, hey we just spend 2,500 there, lets pay that off and recover before we do DVC, and start next year.

They have a way around that. If you buy before Feb 1 2002 they back date your start date to Aug 2001 so you already have 150 points. Or you can sell back these points for 1,500 off your down payment. Right now they are selling WL and will start selling BCV soon. I was told WL is the hardest to get into.

The DVC lady said when you average it out it is 800 a year over the 40 years and the rates don't go up and 150 buys you the same amount every year.

So the lady is calling us back next week and we may end up taking the plunge. I would also appericate any advice or input.

It seems that 150 points don't get you that much. How do other people feel? And tell me, what would you do with 1000 points. If you had that much money, would you have time for the month of vaction it would get you a year?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom