Any advice on my plans for WDW and Universal.

Adistew

I’m new to this forum so I hope I’m doing this right.

We are headed to the US from Australia in December and January 2018/19 and will be landing in Orlando at about 6pm on the 16th of December and fly out on the 20th (early). However we will coming back on the 31st (around 4pm) and fly out at 8pm on the 5th. We are hoping to cover all four Disney World parks plus the two Universal. I know, a bit hectic but we think it’s possible.

Here is my plan:
16th, 17th, 18th, 19th in Universal staying at a Universal Express Unlimited hotel.
However on the day of the 18th getting an Uber to Magic Kingdom for the day and going to the Christmas Party (sounds like a unique experience).
31st - 4th staying at Art of Animation for the whole time with park hopper tickets.
I've chosen those hotels because of budget but we could potentially add on things like After Hours and dessert parties to make use of the time better.
I've been working on the plan for a while and would love some fresh thoughts on it as I feel there might be a better way of doing it.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

iPirate

Get those fast passes!
The way the system works is you will see the most popular fast pass options (if the ride is available) for the people in your party. This, for me, usually dictates at which park I am spending most of my time.

Be ready for the crowds.
The crowd calendars available all over the Internet are not always accurate. So, be ready for anything.

Use the app for dining!
If you do not have the dining plan, the app is the way to get quick-service meals. I like to order from the train in MK.

Take the train in MK.
I love that train.

Do one day for Rope Drop.
Get up at 6:00 am, grab your coffee, and get to the park you want. Rope Drop is a great opening ceremony and all the parks do it (except the water parks, I think).

Plan some downtime.
You stated it was going to be hectic, I have done that vacation (we called it "Sleep Deprivation Vacation 2018"). I begged for downtime, and the vacation was my idea. So plan for a few hours, or a late morning.

*Cheers* to you and to your magical vacation!

Upvote 0

Adistew

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your reply!

I love watching YouTube tips so I think I have my head around the app which compared to DLP (the only other Disney park we've been to) looks great.

All those tips are great! Will look into the train.

What are your thoughts on the set up? Going to Universal first but spending one of those days in MK and on the return trip spending it at Art of Animation? Should I be going about it differently?

*Cheers* to you. We are looking forward to it so much!

Upvote 0

iPirate

I feel like the split is good.
I always found Universal to be more a 2 or 3 day experience, though. I could do Harry Potter (both sides) one day, and the rest the second day if I put my mind to it. If you find it to be the same, you can always go and do other "Orlando things" (gator/swamp tours, LegoLand, Disney Springs, Cape Canaveral, and so much more).

I feel like the stays are well thought out, and I really like everything.
With Universal, you are really in the heart of the city. I haven't stayed at Art of Animation (yet) but I hear wonderful things about it. Also, Disney crowds do drop around the time you will be at AoA.

I am sure others will have more tips soon.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

Thank you so much for your reply!

I love watching YouTube tips so I think I have my head around the app which compared to DLP (the only other Disney park we've been to) looks great.

All those tips are great! Will look into the train.

What are your thoughts on the set up? Going to Universal first but spending one of those days in MK and on the return trip spending it at Art of Animation? Should I be going about it differently?

*Cheers* to you. We are looking forward to it so much!
Definitely do Universal First. You will notice that the employees there aren't quite as friendly as WDW employees, which can be a let down when you are used to the above and beyond that WDW officer. The mini-golf (both courses) at Universal is really fun too.

Upvote 0

Adistew

Original Poster
iPirate: Thanks for the reply, with the current set up we have 2.5 days (the .5 is when we're jet-lagged so that could be interesting). So It'll probably depend on how much we get done. Cape Canaveral would be great to go to though.

MomofPrincessGrace: Thanks for the heads up about the employees. My wife and I enjoy mini-golf so that could be an option.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom