Another Hit To SoCal Tourism = 2021 Rose Parade Cancelled

Jefro

The Rose Bowl Game creates a BIG TV paycheck for the teams and the conferences. I seriously doubt that they would not accept a bowl invite.

But based on the current schedule, the New Years, 2021 game will be a College Football Playoff semi-final game instead of a Big Ten/Pac 12 matchup.

Didn't realize that. The hope is by that point they will have sorted this enough to actually stage a college football playoff.

mlayton144

Ok so for arguments sake assume it costs $2-3b minimum to build this new gate. Where is the payback? Fill Disneyland hotel rooms? What Disneyland hotel rooms? It’s not really a resort destination like WDW

Sell more tickets ? How many more tickets? Prior to Covid DL was pretty close to busting at the seams with attendance. Sell more APs at higher prices? Disney already invested a huge sum on SWGE without any noticeable attendance burst - why on earth would they take another chance like that... I don’t see where the capital investment works

No Name

Cancel culture strikes again! 😉
Ok so for arguments sake assume it costs $2-3b minimum to build this new gate. Where is the payback? Fill Disneyland hotel rooms? What Disneyland hotel rooms? It’s not really a resort destination like WDW

Sell more tickets ? How many more tickets? Prior to Covid DL was pretty close to busting at the seams with attendance. Sell more APs at higher prices? Disney already invested a huge sum on SWGE without any noticeable attendance burst - why on earth would they take another chance like that... I don’t see where the capital investment works
You’re in the wrong part of town buckaroo.

jerryp49

I guess Disneyland won't have a float this year.

ros118948LARGE.jpg

Wow. Thats a cool float.. Did they really use it for the parade ? It looks pretty tall

Darkbeer1

truecoat

It paints a completely false picture of the land. It isn't just the plants and more pleasant architecture, but all the characters and robots. This is obviously an extremely rough draft of what they ended up building, which is completely unrelated.
Especially with Leia and Boba Fett being right in the middle.

truecoat

Build hotels on the other half.

Phroobar

This year Disney cheaped out and didn't even do a float. They did a commercial halftime show to promote Frozen on National Tour. See at the 1 hour mark.

For the first time ever, the upcoming 2020 Rose Parade will have a “half-time show,” a mid-parade live-action performance of “For the First Time in Forever” from “Frozen” performed by cast members of the National Tour of the hit Broadway musical, now on stage at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood.

Karma makes Disney pay for that by shutting down the parks for a year.

Last edited:

cmwade77

Wow....they are cancelling this far in advance for January...?

I realize there is likely several weeks and probably a couple of months prep time to put on an event like this....but January...?
Already?

😯

-
Actually, the Rose Parade preparations usually begin in May or June at the latest, at lease for the largest floats, so honestly, the cancellation probably cost around a dozen companies near a million dollars each because of how late the notice was. That is assuming they can't figure out a way to reuse said materials for whatever alternative they come up with. That being said, waiting any longer could have made the losses reach into the hundreds of millions.

cmwade77

I volunteered to help decorate two floats. Once in the 1970's around Christmastime with my family, it was The Gas Company float as I had a close relative who was a bigwig at the Gas Company back then. And then again about 20 years ago with a friend who was involved with the Chevron float. Apparently my Rose Parade involvement requires the sponsorship of fossil fuels.

Decorating a float is a bizarre and hilarious thing to do; there's this entire industry you never knew existed in the west San Gabriel Valley of several companies that do nothing but design and build floats for this parade. Who knew?

When I helped with the Chevron float I was put in charge of mixing seeds; a very stern supervisor woman sized me up and then stationed me at a long table with a half dozen industrial strength MixMaster blenders where I ground up various seeds for use as... something.

The cancellation of this year's parade must be devastating for those float companies. Financially and emotionally.

This is economically devastating for SoCal in many ways, not just the float companies. The tourism surrounding the Rose Bowl and the various Tournament of Roses activities is hugely important for some communities and their businesses. As if the city of New Orleans just cancelled Mardi Gras.
Actually, I think this has a bigger impact on SoCal and even nationally than cancelling MardiGras in New Orleans would have. The Rose Parade is broadcast across the entire country on several channels, which means that this actually may have a national impact on the economy. MardiGras doesn't get the same level of attention.

cmwade77

Umm? Wrong thread?

TP2000

Original Poster
Actually, I think this has a bigger impact on SoCal and even nationally than cancelling MardiGras in New Orleans would have. The Rose Parade is broadcast across the entire country on several channels, which means that this actually may have a national impact on the economy. MardiGras doesn't get the same level of attention.

True.

The SoCal tourism economy is going to be reeling this autumn and fall.
  • Coachella and Stagecoach both cancelled their re-scheduled October dates; both events are now cancelled entirely until 2021.
  • The Hollywood Bowl is closed for the rest of the year.
  • Pageant of the Masters cancelled, and is now on the brink of insolvency and can't afford to refund the tickets they sold earlier this year.
  • All county fairs have been cancelled.
  • Getty Center, LACMA, Griffith Observatory, Reagan Library, all other indoor museums closed.
  • College football and pro football won't be happening this fall.
  • All convention centers will remain closed until sometime later in 2021.
And I shudder to think what might happen if the Halloween season is cancelled for Knott's Berry Farm. That would be like a department store closing for November/December and giving up on all Christmas business. They'd go bankrupt.

cmwade77

True.

The SoCal tourism economy is going to be reeling this autumn and fall.
  • Coachella and Stagecoach both cancelled their re-scheduled October dates; both events are now cancelled entirely until 2021.
  • The Hollywood Bowl is closed for the rest of the year.
  • Pageant of the Masters cancelled, and is now on the brink of insolvency and can't afford to refund the tickets they sold earlier this year.
  • All county fairs have been cancelled.
  • Getty Center, LACMA, Griffith Observatory, Reagan Library, all other indoor museums closed.
  • College football and pro football won't be happening this fall.
  • All convention centers will remain closed until sometime later in 2021.
And I shudder to think what might happen if the Halloween season is cancelled for Knott's Berry Farm. That would be like a department store closing for November/December and giving up on all Christmas business. They'd go bankrupt.
Knott's can and has survived without Haunt, they are already getting creative with Taste of Calico.

Hopefully indoor museums will reopen soon, but convention centers are an issue.

I still don't understand completely cancelling county fairs when other states, like Idaho have figured out how to do them safely.

Pagent of Masters will have an issue in that people can contest with their credit cards and they will refund, then go after them for the money.

On the plus side, should mean lighter traffic for the foreseeable future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom