Another article about the woman who passed out after riding M:S

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
Here's another article that I found on AOL about the woman. The sad thing is the results of the poll that was attached to the article. (Poll results at the bottom of article.)

Woman Passes Out After Disney Ride

ORLANDO, Florida (July 11) - A woman lost consciousness while getting off a Walt Disney World ride, which two people have died on in the past 13 months, authorities said.

The 35-year-old woman was getting off "Mission: Space" when she fell about 8:30 p.m. Monday, Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department told the Orlando Sentinel.

She told rescue workers she had tingling in her arms and hands, Jones said. She was taken by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center in stable condition.

The woman's name has not been released.

A telephone call by The Associated Press to Disney officials was not immediately returned Tuesday morning.

"Mission: Space" spins in a centrifuge that subjects riders to twice the normal force of gravity.

Hiltrud Bluemel, 49, died April 12, one day after she went on the ride. A preliminary report from the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office showed Bluemel died from bleeding of the brain. She also suffered from severe, long standing high blood pressure, according to the medical examiner's office.

A 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy also died last June while riding the attraction. An autopsy determined Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pennsylvania, died of an irregular heartbeat linked to a natural causes.
Now...here are the poll results that went along with the article:

Should Disney change anything about the ride?
Yes, alter it or the riding requirements 49%
Yes, get rid of it 30%
No 21%
Total Votes: 29,442

Do you want to ride "Mission: Space"?
No 54%
Yes, and I would 32%
Yes, but I wouldn't 14%
Total Votes: 29,093

Wow, those polls kinda suprised me.

And don't you love how they always bring up the 2 deaths? The woman didn't die and the article has nothing to do with the other 2 deaths. I love the media.

CaptainMichael

Let's see, 8:30pm...was probably exhausted from being in the parks in the heat all day. She also probably wasn't properly hydrated. The result, she faints. People do it all of the time. I don't know what Disney can do, but they need to do damage control because the general public is allowing the media to negatively influence their decision about riding M:S.

from what i understand, those polls do not accurately reflect the views of disney patrons because as far as i know, M:S has not suffered any drop in riders. the poll (if it went along with the article) also did not mention that there has been a change made to the ride recently that allows for a less intense experience. i would imagine that most people who are not too familiar with the ride, after reading the article would indeed be wary of it.

PixiePrincess

nibblesandbits said:
Here's another article that I found on AOL about the woman. The sad thing is the results of the poll that was attached to the article. (Poll results at the bottom of article.)

Now...here are the poll results that went along with the article:

Should Disney change anything about the ride?
Yes, alter it or the riding requirements 49%
Yes, get rid of it 30%
No 21%
Total Votes: 29,442

Do you want to ride "Mission: Space"?
No 54%
Yes, and I would 32%
Yes, but I wouldn't 14%
Total Votes: 29,093

These poll results do not surprise me. I can almost guarantee the people who responded were those who never stepped foot into any Disney park. This is a result of all the media reporting again.
I'm sorry the woman passed out, but hell I almost out last summer at Disney from being hot and tired. No one did a story on me. I can also guarantee that if the woman passed out in front of Peter Pan, this would even be a story.
It's a shame but all the negative press will force changes eventually. That's my opinion of course.

CaptainMichael

CommandoDisney said:
from what i understand, those polls do not accurately reflect the views of disney patrons because as far as i know, M:S has not suffered any drop in riders. the poll (if it went along with the article) also did not mention that there has been a change made to the ride recently that allows for a less intense experience. i would imagine that most people who are not too familiar with the ride, after reading the article would indeed be wary of it.
It has actually experienced an increase, but it could be much better. There are still way too many people that are scared of M:S.

GothMickey

STR8FAN2005 said:
Let's see, 8:30pm...was probably exhausted from being in the parks in the heat all day. She also probably wasn't properly hydrated. The result, she faints. People do it all of the time. I don't know what Disney can do, but they need to do damage control because the general public is allowing the media to negatively influence their decision about riding M:S.

I am sure the media has a lot to do with people not wanting to ride M:S... My decision is based on the fact that I don't like the ride, not because people have gotten sick and two died from pre-existing conditions... But, I wonder, how many people the media is NOT influencing?? Appears to me that thousands of people a day rode M:S and millions a year, so the number, in my opinion, is not that high... or else, no one would be riding M:S...

CaptainMichael

PixiePrincess said:
It's a shame but all the negative press will force changes eventually. That's my opinion of course.
It already has, but the changes were positive. Mission: Space Green was an excellent move. Disney just needs to find a way to properly advertise that Mission: Space now has two SAFE fun-filled versions.

PixiePrincess

STR8FAN2005 said:
It already has, but the changes were positive. Mission: Space Green was an excellent move. Disney just needs to find a way to properly advertise that Mission: Space now has two SAFE fun-filled versions.

That's true, I forgot about that. I agree with you about advertising about the 2 versions.

hokielutz

Its hard to advertise something you own and operate as safe, when the media, runs around and shouts that ANOTHER Person was seriously hurt at this ride and continually brings up prior tragedies.

If Disney does, I imagine there will be some small group that organizes and protests. And then both sides will surely get media coverage, and we will then be reminded of the black spots on the ride.... again.

CrashNet

Well first of all, some of the information in that article doesn't give a clear representation of what happened. Yes she fell, but not right when she got off the ride, but later.

Those polls are disappointing, but it only goes to prove how most people interpret what they want to believe based on a story, whether there's any truth to it or not. Plus, those polls are widely skewed. I know for one aol.com is blocked from my corporate office, where I am 10 hours a day, so my guess is children, unemployed, shift workers, and the elderly are voting in those polls.

PhilharMagician

CommandoDisney said:

I would tend to bet that most if not all of the negative votes are from people that have not even been on the ride. For these people they get their rush out of riding the negative publicity waves in our society. What has happened to this world where we now judge without any knowledge except for hearsay???:brick: :hammer:

MS is an amazing experience and now with the green (Mild Ride) it is so mellow and still you have a great sensory experience.

DisneyRoxMySox

STR8FAN2005 said:
Let's see, 8:30pm...was probably exhausted from being in the parks in the heat all day. She also probably wasn't properly hydrated. The result, she faints. People do it all of the time.

I beleive you may have stumbled on an idea. Remember a few years back and I beleive it still continues Timon and Pumba became spokesmen for park safety. "No running" and "Keep all hooves inside the ride vehicle". I think it may be a good idea to talk about proper hydration in Florida heat. The only negative effect, I can think of, is it that might scare people.

pintraderpayee

Went to WDW once (and only once) in July and just getting up quickly from a park bench in that extreme heat and humidity could cause the same thing to happen. Maybe I should blame the bench and later I could blame my pencil for spelling errors:brick:

editor

The Ride is the Question!

Guys,

As always informative and meassured - thank you.

Just some observations from an ex-Imagineer that worked with the company that made M:S.

As you would expect I am not able to break NDA and contracts, but I would like to point you to the original concept that led to M:S - The DinseyQUest CyberMountain Coaster system offers a similar ride profile to M:S but has a near 100 per cent operation record... What's the difference!

I am just so sad about the lessons ignored by a team that was running to a different agenda... but thats another story. Lets hope the new Pixar/WDI merger creates a new level of attraction dev.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom