Annual Passes or No expire tkts What would you do??

3fordisney

We are planning a trip to WDW in Oct or Nov. This trip would be just my husband, 4 yr old son, & me. We are also going back in April 2007 with my inlaws as well. We usually go once a year and we have never gone this close together. I was wondering if we should get the 10 day park hopper no expiration or should we get an AP? This would be the last time we could go in the fall as my son will be in kindergarten in Fall 2007 & the schools here are too strict on absentces. We would get the AP and go back next fall too, but it isn't an option.

Has anyone done the no expire tickets? We would go to the parks for 5 days each trip. Its slightly cheaper to do the 10 day vs. the ap. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what your thoughts were on it. Thanks so much!:)

Kadee

I would say AP's. There may be discounts on the rooms with AP during Novemeber. Not too sure about April as it is Spring break time. If you get the room discount on just one of the trips, it would be worth it to go with APs instead of 10-day passes. Maybe someone can help you with the dates they usually do AP discounts on the rooms.

Upvote 0

RickEff

I agree - Annual Pass.

It gives you so much freedom. One example: at the end of a day of swimming or relaxing at the resort, it's unlikely you'd use a day up on a 10-day pass to go watch fireworks or a parade or to play a few hours in the park. With an AP though - you always have that option since you're not limited to the number of park entries.

Also, the possibility for room discounts is a very big incentive.

One caveat - once you get an AP, you'll probably want them for life!

Upvote 0

schachteles

I totally agree...go with the AP...we went in April and then had an "unexpected" trip in May...I wish we had known about the May trip before I had purchased tickets because th AP would have been so nice...like the previous poster said...then you can go in just for a couple of hours and not "waste" a whole day...

Upvote 0

gbruenin

Of course it depends on how many days you plan for each trip, but we found that the 10-day no-exp was much more cost effective over the AP. Even though we're in Pennsylvania, we've had APs in the past, and were able to get two trips in within the year, but at that time the AP cost was much lower and the benefits were considerably greater. With a family of four now and less room promotions available its much more difficult to find enough room discounts to cover the $400 additional cost of the APs vs. the 10-day ticket.
We typically are there 5-6 full days, and we found that running all the days is too much for everyone, so we now have a low-key day at the resort pools and DTD in the middle of the trip. As a result, we'll have a third trip and still be using days on the same tickets we purchased 15 months ago. At aprox $28/day average.
Your mileage may vary, but hopefully this helps.

Gary

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
AP. As others have said there is the possibility of room discounts also as an AP holder you are eligible for the DDC card which over 10 days can save you a small fortune on food. You also get a 10% discount at WOD along with discounts to the water parks and several other places (DQ and I believe La Nouba). You are also free to make an impromptu weekend trip whenever you like.

There are simply so many more options and much more flexibility with the AP over the MYW tickets.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Don't forget other discounts too. Mini Golf, Boat rentals and whatnots. These things add up too. But a room discount for 2-3 nights could make up the cost, esp if you stay deluxe. Per night can be over $100 sometimes.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

Original Poster
Master Yoda said:
AP. As others have said there is the possibility of room discounts also as an AP holder you are eligible for the DDC card which over 10 days can save you a small fortune on food.

What is the DDC card?:confused: We've never had an AP before and wasn't sure of all the discounts that come with it. We are thinking we would do 5 full days this fall in the park, possibly 6 if we went with APs. We are planning on driving down unless we can find a great deal on airline tkts. The trip in April will be 5 days in the park the week of April 15-April 21 2007, with the 15th and 21st as our travel days. (We will be driving that trip.)

Thanks so far to all that have posted. We are kinda at a lost, deciding which way to go. We normally wouldn't consider April, but my mother-in-law is a school teacher and she is out for spring break that week.

Upvote 0
I also would say to go for the annual pass. My wife and I redeemed Air Miles for two seven day park hopper passes in July 05. Our first trip was at the end of Sepember 05 and we upgraded the passes to annual passes. We made another trip in the begining of May 06 and we are going back again in the Middle of September this year before the annual passes expire. Because we had the annual passes we were able to make three trips in a twelve month period and we live in Vancouver BC Canada. You are already planning two trips maybe you can squeeze in one or two more trips or to extend one of the trips that you already have planned.
:) Either way, have a blast while in the Parks. :)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
3fordisney said:
What is the DDC card?:confused: We've never had an AP before and wasn't sure of all the discounts that come with it. We are thinking we would do 5 full days this fall in the park, possibly 6 if we went with APs. We are planning on driving down unless we can find a great deal on airline tkts. The trip in April will be 5 days in the park the week of April 15-April 21 2007, with the 15th and 21st as our travel days. (We will be driving that trip.)

Thanks so far to all that have posted. We are kinda at a lost, deciding which way to go. We normally wouldn't consider April, but my mother-in-law is a school teacher and she is out for spring break that week.
My mistake it is DDE not DDC (Disney Dinning Experience) It is a discount card that can be purchased ($60 for AP holder) that will give you a 20% discount on nearly every table service restaurant on property as well as a select few of the counter service restaurants (food and alcohol). You must be a Florida resident or an AP holder to get the card. You can view the specifics under the Florida resident section of Disney's official site. All you will need to access that portion of the site is a Fl zip code (32211 will work)

Upvote 0

drp4video

I would say AP as well. We had AP's until last AUgust 2005, when I did not renew them as we didn't go in August last year. We did go at CHristmas 2005 and I bought the 10 day non-expiration/hoppers. Reason: My DD turned 18, and started Michigan State last September, so we thought we would not go as much. Well, I am getting ready to book my third trip since last August (her second). I wish I would have at least gotten an AP at least for me, since I will have now gone three times,and as I would have saved on hotels (altho I do get a AAA discount, which is close to AP).

She has 6 days left on her 10 day, and I have 4 days left. (I only did 2 days at the parks in March), so this should get us through the one year...but I would have saved a little more on hotels. We don't buy any food passes since we don't eat that much and share a lot, and you still get a 10% discount on merchandise if you use your Disney visa at the DTD world of disney store.

But if you don't have AAA, and there is always the possibility you might take an unexpected trip, I would go with the AP. IF you are there more than 10 days in the parks, it is worth it.

I also missed the freedom on bopping over to the parks for a short time in a day. For example, we arrived at 3 p.m last time, too late to go to a park, but if we had our AP's we could have gone over to MGM and dropped on Terror for a while.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

We had a similar choice last year, and opted for the annual passes. Even though our second trip was in June, and we weren't eligible for room discounts, that is stil the way I'd go. First of all, going in the fall, you are almost sure to get room discounts. Second, with the AP, you don't have to worry about adding on things like park hopper options. Third, we bought a Disney Dining Experience card, and that thing was alone was worth it.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input. We have decided to go with annual passes! I appreciate all the comments! It gives us reason to take a 3rd trip!!:dazzle:

Upvote 0

hokielutz

3fordisney said:
Thanks for everyone's input. We have decided to go with annual passes! I appreciate all the comments! It gives us reason to take a 3rd trip!!:dazzle:

Good choice. That's what we did this year. Made the decision we would travel to the world a bunch and bring both sides of our families with us at different times. When you think of all the ways you can save money with the AP such as general parking (for offsite lodging), dining discounts, room discounts, merchandise discounts, etc... it really was a no brainer. plus we've already visited the parks more than we could get a regular pass for and we still have two or three extended trips planned before our AP is up.

Enjoy!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom