Annual Pass worth ?

Mainahman

Original Poster
It sounds very much like you've already decided to go ahead with this.

We have annual passes, but only take one trip a year and it works out to be a sizeable savings. We book one trip the first year for 7 nights/8 days, then book another trip the next year for a week earlier.
its something im toying with, as for us i think the smaller more of a "whim" trip is something that would benefit us. Call our daughter, have her come crash at the house, watch and feed the dogs for a couple days, feed the fish, and head to disney. short trips allow us to take time off from work, without getting behind, more often for sanitys sake etc. The dogs are covered etc, and we get a quick little break. Knowing in the next year, wed like to also take our 4 neices and nephews as well, it would be nice to have the free photo pass, and discounts on souvenirs just to be able to give them the best first time ever.

JIMINYCR

With what youve posted I think you will realize a savings by going with the AP. I hear from others who think we'll get it and it will save us money by going x number of times. Then they do end up going more often than they had originally considered. The Disney bug hits and its easier to say its a nice weekend, or such and such events going on, why not go, we have the AP. If I were close enough for a short drive, I'd take full advantage of it.

Mainahman

Original Poster
With what youve posted I think you will realize a savings by going with the AP. I hear from others who think we'll get it and it will save us money by going x number of times. Then they do end up going more often than they had originally considered. The Disney bug hits and its easier to say its a nice weekend, or such and such events going on, why not go, we have the AP. If I were close enough for a short drive, I'd take full advantage of it.
its about an 11 hour or so drive, and we both have a ton of vacation time every year. For us thats what happens. the "lets go to disney" bug hits. We could gas the car up after work on a thursday, be on site by friday morning, come back sunday, back to work on a tuesday, and burn 2 days. Plus we could go for my wifes birthday, my birthday, etc. Were across the country from the rest of our family, and go back to visit on occasion, but tend to want a quick getaway more, which we could totally do.

JIMINYCR

its about an 11 hour or so drive, and we both have a ton of vacation time every year. For us thats what happens. the "lets go to disney" bug hits. We could gas the car up after work on a thursday, be on site by friday morning, come back sunday, back to work on a tuesday, and burn 2 days. Plus we could go for my wifes birthday, my birthday, etc. Were across the country from the rest of our family, and go back to visit on occasion, but tend to want a quick getaway more, which we could totally do.
I saw your drive time... weve got more than double that from where we live in Maine.

Schneewittchen

Is it still true that if we buy, it doesnt activate until you try to use it the first time? Like if we were to buy now, and then not actually go till say september? and then wed renew in september?

I could see us buying now, going for our anniversary, Halloween ( never seen the decorations) maybe christmas ish to see decorations, then again in march for my birthday, and such. Just trying to navigate all the pros and cons.
That sounds about right.

Nottamus

I’ve always read 10 days is the point.

We drive every trip from 16 hrs away twice a year for 7 days, and then again 7-8 days...and save quite a bit over regular ticket prices. We also are DVC, so we get a little more off as well

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Just do the math based on the frequency you plan to visit and then check against other options. For me:

~$800 / ~30 days entry to the park (s) annually - rounds to about $27 every time I walk in. There is no option for me.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Thanks all! I'm thinking about once a quarter for a 3 to 4 day, maybe a 2 nighter here or there, and definitely a longer but with some family coming next summer and lilkey the summer after. So to me it's worth it. We really have no desire to go anywhere else vacation wise.

Mickey1968

I live in Oklahoma and have done the Platinum AP a couple of times. If I lived as close as you in Nashville I would definitely do it. My breakeven just on the tickets was around 10 days with park hoppers over two trips. You can also get a discount if you purchase 10day hoppers with water parks (even though you don't intend to use them) from Undercover Tourist. Then after you have entered one of the 4 main parks one time, go to guest services and upgrade to the AP. The room discounts come and go but you are more likely to find a room discount with shorter notice the the AP rates. Also, once you have the pass you are definitely going to go more than you think you will. Instead of only two trips a year those years I went three or four times. And, Nashville has really good rates on SW to Orlando. Like $65 one way, non-stop.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I đź‘Ť you?
Premium Member
Depending on the amount of days in the trip, if you’re taking 3-4+ trips, get annual passes for everyone in your party.

If making just 2-3 trips, get an AP for one member of your party and use that person’s card for all purchases and save money buying multi day tickets for the others. This will get you the 20% merch discount, the 10% dining discount, the ability to book deeper discounts for onsite stays, free parking (~$25 a day) if staying offsite, 10-15% discounts on tours, experiences, and special event tickets, free Photopass for everyone linked to you on mydisneyexperience ($169-199 savings per trip), discounted admission for you and guests at water parks, and 15% discount on rentals, sports, recreation, mini golf, etc.

Michaelson

All I can figure is you must be a younger man than I am, Mainahman, as we drive down in February from Franklin County, TN (Tullahoma area), and that drive once a year is good enough for me. ;-)

Regards! Michaelson

Mainahman

Original Poster
I live in Oklahoma and have done the Platinum AP a couple of times. If I lived as close as you in Nashville I would definitely do it. My breakeven just on the tickets was around 10 days with park hoppers over two trips. You can also get a discount if you purchase 10day hoppers with water parks (even though you don't intend to use them) from Undercover Tourist. Then after you have entered one of the 4 main parks one time, go to guest services and upgrade to the AP. The room discounts come and go but you are more likely to find a room discount with shorter notice the the AP rates. Also, once you have the pass you are definitely going to go more than you think you will. Instead of only two trips a year those years I went three or four times. And, Nashville has really good rates on SW to Orlando. Like $65 one way, non-stop.
Where did you see those flights? Ha! i couldnt find them. Heck that cheap and we actually would fly. We work 15 to 20 south of nashville, we could totally get a co worker on their way home to drop us at the airport on a friday after work, and be sleeping at POP that night!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Depending on the amount of days in the trip, if you’re taking 3-4+ trips, get annual passes for everyone in your party.

If making just 2-3 trips, get an AP for one member of your party and use that person’s card for all purchases and save money buying multi day tickets for the others. This will get you the 20% merch discount, the 10% dining discount, the ability to book deeper discounts for onsite stays, free parking (~$25 a day) if staying offsite, 10-15% discounts on tours, experiences, and special event tickets, free Photopass for everyone linked to you on mydisneyexperience ($169-199 savings per trip), discounted admission for you and guests at water parks, and 15% discount on rentals, sports, recreation, mini golf, etc.
I have a feeling my wife would find any excuse to take a 5 day long weekend ( friday and monday off) for some mickey time.

Mainahman

Original Poster
All I can figure is you must be a younger man than I am, Mainahman, as we drive down in February from Franklin County, TN (Tullahoma area), and that drive once a year is good enough for me. ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
32 and 38, and were just north of you in Marshall County :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom