Annual Pass worth ?

Smiley/OCD

From NJ to DC, without traffic (NEVER), is usually about 4 hours. The total trip from NJ to WDW is 18, so you're looking at about 14 hrs, including pit stops for both the truck AND the passengers. My favorite place to stop for lunch/dinner is Allman's BBQ, on Rt. 1 (Jefferson Davis Pkwy) in Fredericksburg, VA. It's about 10 minutes off 95, and they have the best BBQ I've ever had!! Homemade coleslaw too!! Since we have 3 drivers, our goal will be to make it into SC or GA on the first day. Believe it or not, Florida has several really good, clean AND SAFE rest stops on 95. They have armed security 24/7. If you want to just take a cat nap, it's a good place to stop and rest (and save $$$ on a motel for the night.)

Mainahman

Original Poster
We bought annual passes last November planning to do what the OP suggests, since we can usually get cheap airfare out of KC and I can get decent offsite hotel deals through work. The "problem" we've had with that plan is that so far every "cheap" long weekend trip we've planned has turned into at least a week long on site trip.

I guess vacation scope creep is a thing... :p

My wife tried that on me this morning! We work for the same company just on different teams. She couldnt find a reservation for Yak and Yeti, and i get a txt " im willing to add a day if i can get the yeti...."

BoarderPhreak

Simple - if you break even, yes. If not, no. But even if you just break even, there are some perks that make it worthwhile (discounts, special events, etc.).

Mainahman

Original Poster
gas is cheap here, and i get about 500 miles per tank, and Disney is 700 miles from my door to POP century. so thats less than 150 in gas, we pack snacks so we dont stop for food unless absolutely needed.

This trip is 2 park days, and 3 nights at the hotel, so not too too bad. We did park hoppers, as we will be splitting a day at AK/MK and Hollywood and EPCOT. This is a very lets do a few things we like to do trip. We will see how we like it, and i continue to drop hints about it LOL.

Today i said to her response about YETI " we could eat anywhere we want any time if we had an AP" meaning we wouldnt have to restrict to eating at resorts on arrival day, we could just go to a restaraunt and then back to hotel.

Hcalvert

gas is cheap here, and i get about 500 miles per tank, and Disney is 700 miles from my door to POP century. so thats less than 150 in gas, we pack snacks so we dont stop for food unless absolutely needed.

This trip is 2 park days, and 3 nights at the hotel, so not too too bad. We did park hoppers, as we will be splitting a day at AK/MK and Hollywood and EPCOT. This is a very lets do a few things we like to do trip. We will see how we like it, and i continue to drop hints about it LOL.

Today i said to her response about YETI " we could eat anywhere we want any time if we had an AP" meaning we wouldnt have to restrict to eating at resorts on arrival day, we could just go to a restaraunt and then back to hotel.

My husband couldn't believe the change in my attitude after we got the APs. I was no longer in a huge hurry and stressing out about seeing everything in the time allotted. If I felt tired after dinner, I went back to the resort room without worries. If I didn't want to get up the next morning after spending time in MK until 1 am the night before, no big deal. We drove my brother and his family nuts with this attitude as he and his family were visiting for the first time and had that sense of urgency and getting their money's worth. On our first night before my brother and his family arrived, it was nice to eat dinner at Beaches & Cream and have a leisurely stroll through EPCOT afterwards and not worry about burning a ticket for 1.5 hours of park time. Also, my brother spent about $600 on souvenirs for my nieces and nephews (there are four of them total) and it was nice to help them save the 20% to get an extra $25 each to buy things. I also saved $90 on three DAH MK tickets, so that was another plus, since I would have went at full price. The photopass perk was worth it too as we got some really good pictures of us and our family on the rides and at meet and greets. So, even though I was majorly peeved about paying the extra $200+ for each AP due to the price hike right before we went, I feel that I am going to get my money's worth, especially since my January 2020 tickets (currently $1500) are nearly putting me in the green (I paid $2000 additionally for the three APs). In addition, adding the June 2020 tickets too (currently priced at about $1900 and I am sure there will be a ticket price hike before then), I am definitely in the green--not including any of the perks I took advantage of so far.

Last edited:

Mainahman

Original Poster
My husband couldn't believe the change in my attitude after we got the APs. I was no longer in a huge hurry and stressing out about seeing everything in the time allotted. If I felt tired after dinner, I went back to the resort room without worries. If I didn't want to get up the next morning after spending time in MK until 1 am the night before, no big deal. We drove my brother and his family nuts with this attitude as he and his family were visiting for the first time and had that sense of urgency and getting their money's worth. On our first night before my brother and his family arrived, it was nice to eat dinner at Beaches & Cream and have a leisurely stroll through EPCOT afterwards and not worry about burning a ticket for 1.5 hours of park time. Also, my brother spent about $600 on souvenirs for my nieces and nephews (there are four of them total) and it was nice to help them save the 20% to get an extra $25 each to buy things. I also saved $90 on three DAH MK tickets, so that was another plus, since I would have went at full price. The photopass perk was worth it too as we got some really good pictures of us and our family on the rides and at meet and greets. So, even though I was majorly peeved about paying the extra $200+ for each AP due to the price hike right before we went, I feel that I am going to get my money's worth, especially since my January 2020 tickets (currently $1500) are nearly putting me in the green (I paid $2000 additionally for the three APs). In addition, adding the June 2020 tickets too (currently priced at about $1900 and I am sure there will be a ticket price hike before then), I am definitely in the green--not including any of the perks I took advantage of so far.
This is a huge reason im interested in AP. Were going to be taking my neices and nephews over the next couple years. My Sister Inlaw may be with us, so to be able to save them all money and get them more would be amazing!

Mainahman

Original Poster
As an added bonus you can go whenever you want!
we may be 11 hours away, but to me this is the best part ha! we often struggle with going to a park on arrival day or not, or sometimes i just want to say i have too much vacation time, lets find a cheap hotel and go see the mouse for a few days at the end of the month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom