Animatronic Making

ntoeman

Original Poster
First off I just want to say I've read the threads and books and I am aware about how you are asked to be an imagineer and you can't really simply apply for the job...so anyways, as a hopeful imagineer, I am still very interested in the engineering field and was curious about the animatronics more specifically. In the making of the animatronics, does anyone know if it is more mechanical engineers or electrical engineers that make the robots work? Basically I just want to know if I want to be an engineer that makes or works with animatronics, what type of engineering should I pursue? or heck, are those people even engineers?

Also, has anyone here ever made any animatronics or robotic stuff at home? did you use a kit or from scratch?

Thanks for any reply!

terp79

good question. . .

First things first, you CAN apply to be an Imagineer. I did so this afternoon!!! Who knows if I'll get a call back, I hope?!?!? I suggest reading the past threads more in depth.

As for what area of engineering you should focus on in order to work on animatronics/theme park atmospherics, I suggest speaking with an advisor at an engineering school. Obviously if you want to pursue animatronic building you need to further your education and you'd be attending a university. Seeing how my focus in college was completely art based the only thing I can suggest is speaking with an advisor like i mentioned before or maybe contacting Chris Hillman, he seems to have an extensive knowledge on AA. His website has TONS of useful info about AA, Robotics and special FX:
http://users.aol.com/c40179/index.html

At the very bottom of the page is his contact information. I'm sure if you sent him a polite e-mail with your questions he may get back to you.

jesserin

I have nothing to participate in the way of the information you are asking for, however I would like to take a moment to say your name: Ntoeman reminds me donuts.:lookaroun :slurp: :D

Now, back to the topic at hand. ;)

ntoeman

Original Poster
First things first, i have never heard anyone think ntoeman reminds them of donuts, but thanks lol.

Anyways, I know you CAN apply with Imagineering but i know from reading those other posts before that it usually takes a lot of experience or recogntion in the business to be hired. I just knew that on those other posts that some people would jump to conclusions that younger people shouldn't worry about becoming an imagineer yet and to get school done first.(not that I don't agree, but you know what I mean) I would love to hear that they contact you or even hire you, so good luck.

I was actually on that site for the list of links earlier this week but didn't come across the entrance page. The first thing it lists is mechanical engineering for a talent that is common for a career with animatronics. This is what I had read before, that mechanical engineering is a main part of theme park engineering sort of things.

On a side note, a good book for this stuff is called The Fantastical Engineer by Celeste Baine. It's sorta for kids a little younger, but still an awesome read for any of us hopeful imagineers.

Thanks for the response Terp and again, good luck.

terp79

ntoeman, I totally understand what you mean about the other posts and what others say about not making your focus of becoming an Imagineer your number one goal. Sometimes I agree with that and sometimes I don't to be honest. If your profile is correct, you're at the age where you're begining to think about college and furthering your education and I say well done if you're thinking about engineering and your goal is to work for WDI. I think engineering is a great disipline and I feel that if you study hard and work at it you will find something within the Disney Company. Now that may not be WDI right away but I know for the past 2 years that I've been looking into employment with Disney I've seen soooo many jobs that require an engineering background so if you love Disney then I'm sure that you'll be able to work for them. Personally I feel that engineering is a universal trade when it comes to the theme park and amusement park industry. I think most people say don't focus just on WDI so that when you don't get in at WDI right away you won't be upset with your job that you do end up taking in order to get into WDI later down the road. Good luck with your studies and remember to dream, do and diversify!!!!

funky_shao

Speaking to an imagineer in the animatronics department at Florida, he says that you need to know hydraulics, pneumatics, Vernier Transformation applications, etc. These sound broadly mechanical, but that's not to say you can't find these out yourself if you're an Electrical grad (like me!).

In our university we have a joint degree called Electrical and Mechanical Engineering which seems to be the best of both worlds. On the plus side, it's the university where John Logie Baird and Alexander Graham Bell attended. The downside (or another upside!) is you would have to come to Scotland :D

Hope this helps!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom