Animated Evenings at Walt Disney World combine Cirque du Soleil and prix fixe menus at more than a dozen Disney Springs restaurants

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Interesting. Not much of a good deal, though. You can spend less money by just ordering.........Food. lol

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Interesting. Not much of a good deal, though. You can spend less money by just ordering.........Food. lol
Not sure where you get that from. For example - we love Enzo's Hideaway and for the same $45 cost for this, it would be $65 regular price for the exact same items. So save $20 each. Not a bad deal if you are going to see Cirque.

WondersOfLife

Not sure where you get that from. For example - we love Enzo's Hideaway and for the same $45 cost for this, it would be $65 regular price for the exact same items. So save $20 each. Not a bad deal if you are going to see Cirque.
I guess I'm just super cheap... But anybody paying $65 per person for one meal that isn't all-you-can-eat at the parks needs to tell me what they do for a living right now, and if they have a job opening. LOL

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I guess I'm just super cheap... But anybody paying $65 per person for one meal that isn't all-you-can-eat at the parks needs to tell me what they do for a living right now, and if they have a job opening. LOL
Wow! Really?!?!? So you must not eat at hardly any TS restaurants at Disney, since pretty much all of them are going to be a lot more than $45 for appetizer, entree, and dessert. If that's the case, then would you even be buying tickets to Cirque?

UNCgolf

Prix fixe menus are generally a terrible idea and anti-consumer (at least at normal restaurants; it's a bit different at a luxury restaurant with a chef overseeing each night's menu), so I'm not sure why most people would want this. The only way this makes sense is if you know you wanted items from the very limited selection, and you also were sure you wanted both an appetizer and a dessert.

It's the kind of thing that will only make sense for a relatively small minority.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Prix fixe menus are generally a terrible idea and anti-consumer (at least at normal restaurants; it's a bit different at a luxury restaurant with a chef overseeing each night's menu), so I'm not sure why most people would want this. The only way this makes sense is if you know you wanted items from the very limited selection, and you also were sure you wanted both an appetizer and a dessert.

It's the kind of thing that will only make sense for a relatively small minority.
I think fixed price appeals to a lot of vacationers who are trying to forecast costs. It takes the mystery out of what the final bill is going to be.

UNCgolf

I think fixed price appeals to a lot of vacationers who are trying to forecast costs. It takes the mystery out of what the final bill is going to be.

That's generally why they're pushed, I think -- people feel like they're getting their money's worth with the fixed price so it's easy to sell, but usually people would spend less if they were ordering a la carte because they wouldn't all get desserts and appetizers (and would often prefer something on the menu that's not included in the prix fixe options, but that's a different issue). They end up spending more money.

It's a lot like the Disney Dining Plan, really.

The restaurants wouldn't do it if they didn't see it as a way to increase profits.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Well, as I noted above, we would eat at Enzo's and save $20 per person with this deal. I don't think it's as small a minority as you think.

WondersOfLife

Wow! Really?!?!? So you must not eat at hardly any TS restaurants at Disney,
I do not, unless it is a buffet... But also, just ordering an entree and a drink is fine, too. I have reservations for Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Time... But I don't plan on spending over $30 per person on it. Just get an entree, a drink, and then eat the snacks you packed in your backpack.
If that's the case, then would you even be buying tickets to Cirque?
Cirque is definitely worth the price of admission. I guess that is my "fine dining," as I'm a theatre major and do theatre for a living and have seen over 40 Broadway productions. A professional show is my fine dining I guess.

But food? I don't get it. I mean, I do... But I don't... I'll take the $10 pizza at Blaze over $30 spaghetti any day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I do not, unless it is a buffet... But also, just ordering an entree and a drink is fine, too. I have reservations for Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Time... But I don't plan on spending over $30 per person on it. Just get an entree, a drink, and then eat the snacks you packed in your backpack.

Cirque is definitely worth the price of admission. I guess that is my "fine dining," as I'm a theatre major and do theatre for a living and have seen over 40 Broadway productions. A professional show is my fine dining I guess.

But food? I don't get it. I mean, I do... But I don't... I'll take the $10 pizza at Blaze over $30 spaghetti any day.
Different strokes. We are both huge foodies and think nothing of spending a few hundred for a dinner. We've never seen a Broadway show, and it's doubtful we ever will, but I won't say never.

Oh, and the pizza at Blaze is really good! We've had that a few times.

UNCgolf

Well, as I noted above, we would eat at Enzo's and save $20 per person with this deal. I don't think it's as small a minority as you think.

There aren't that many people who order an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert -- appetizers especially would generally be split among the table, as opposed to each person getting their own. If they are smaller appetizers to be sized as an individual portion, then the cost calculus shifts.

The other issue, as I mentioned, is the selection. It's not like you can pick from everything they normally offer on the menu. At the Edison, the prix fixe price is $65, and the most expensive meal you can put together from their options based on the standard menu price is $71. So you'd be saving $6 at most, but if you end up full after the appetizer and entree and don't want a dessert, well... you're getting it anyways. You don't have the option to just not order a dessert and save more money than if you'd gone with the prix fixe.

You could also put together a three course meal from their options that's actually $9 more prix fixe than it would be if you just ordered a la carte from the standard menu.

That doesn't mean it's automatically bad, but you really have to think about what you're getting from their options to make sure you're not actually paying more than you would have otherwise, even if you do want all three courses.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There aren't that many people who order an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert -- appetizers especially would generally be split among the table, as opposed to each person getting their own. If they are smaller appetizers to be sized as an individual portion, then the cost calculus shifts.

The other issue, as I mentioned, is the selection. It's not like you can pick from everything they normally offer on the menu. At the Edison, the prix fixe price is $65, and the most expensive meal you can put together from their options based on the standard menu price is $71. So you'd be saving $6 at most, but if you end up full after the appetizer and entree and don't want a dessert, well... you're getting it anyways. You don't have the option to just not order a dessert and save more money than if you'd gone with the prix fixe.

You could also put together a three course meal from their options that's actually $9 more prix fixe than it would be if you just ordered a la carte from the standard menu.

That doesn't mean it's automatically bad, but you really have to think about what you're getting from their options to make sure you're not actually paying more than you would have otherwise, even if you do want all three courses.
I agree that you have to research first to see if it is worth it. While we have eaten at Edison, that’s not a place we would choose for this deal.

UNCgolf

I agree that you have to research first to see if it is worth it. While we have eaten at Edison, that’s not a place we would choose for this deal.

That and the limited selections are my biggest issue, although I also often don't want dessert. There are some restaurants that I like, but I wouldn't want any of the entree options they're including in the prix fixe price -- Maria and Enzo's being one of those, actually.

WondersOfLife

Different strokes. We are both huge foodies and think nothing of spending a few hundred for a dinner. We've never seen a Broadway show, and it's doubtful we ever will, but I won't say never.

Oh, and the pizza at Blaze is really good! We've had that a few times.
If you ever decide to see a Broadway show either in NYC or professionally on tour... I strongly recommend Come From Away.

Also, you cant go wrong with the obvious "overrated" choices. (They're overrated for a reason. They're good.) The Lion King, Wicked, Matilda, The Book of Mormon, ect.

WondersOfLife

That and the limited selections are my biggest issue, although I also often don't want dessert. There are some restaurants that I like, but I wouldn't want any of the entree options they're including in the prix fixe price -- Maria and Enzo's being one of those, actually.
My group of 8 is completely obsessed with Rainforest Cafe, to give you any indication of how classy we are. LOL

My wife and I share the nachos and pastalaya... And then we top it off with a Volcano Cake. It is a tradition on every trip to get that combo. It's our food splurge.

JIMINYCR

As a family that’s visited WDW a lot, we’ve tried most of the restaurants. Some we’ve decided they aren’t for us and others we will go back multiple times. As a planner I pour over the menus and see what I might want and DW with her diet that’s touchy we know pretty much what we will be ordering when we make our ADRs and it helps figure out that part of our vacation budget. We would do the Cirque meal deal as long as we like the selections. I look at it as a hard worker money can always be made and when we are on the trip we spend to enjoy ourselves. And I agree Edison was meh for us on our last trip so we wouldn’t take that option. There are others that would tempt us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom