Animated Characters in Real Life

_caleb

Original Poster
With the "face" characters, it's probably really hard to find people who look EXACTLY like the animated characters... not everyone has eyes as big as Rapunzel's. But I don't think characters like the princesses, the princes, Alice, etc. would work as "fur" characters. I mean, just look at the Jessica Rabbit and Big Hero 6 costumes previously posted.

Y'know who could use an update? Ludwig Von Drake. I know he's a rare character they don't trot out much, but he looks really off...

They actually had a far more on-model Von Drake costume for the "World According to Goofy" parade at Disneyland... I wonder if they still have this somewhere in the archives...

How about that Rex costume they just debuted? Looks great. They should totally bring this to the parks:
I’ve always been curious why they change character designs. It seems like an expensive thing to do and I’m not sure what the upside is.

That said, I bet it’s super awkward when new/young guests have no idea who a rare/old characters is.

VicariousCorpse

I always like how Winnie the Pooh in Tokyo takes a different approach by adding fur texture to the normally plastic figures in all the other resorts and how much of a difference it makes.

winnie-the-pooh-ride.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

LeighM

I've looked back and past vacation pictures after my comment about Aurora/Sleeping Beauty and I really do think it's the costuming, wig, and makeup. It's really the only princess that has never looked anything like the character. It is almost like the early Elsa with that awful wig. The costuming for Frozen 2 is actually MUCH better than the original.

_caleb

Original Poster
I've looked back and past vacation pictures after my comment about Aurora/Sleeping Beauty and I really do think it's the costuming, wig, and makeup. It's really the only princess that has never looked anything like the character. It is almost like the early Elsa with that awful wig. The costuming for Frozen 2 is actually MUCH better than the original.
I see it, too. But it sure doesn’t make sense to me!

Fox&Hound

I completely agree! Aurora and Prince Phillip are pretty awful. The fairies look good. Maleficent is usually a face character, right? She is off to me too. I think maybe she would work better as a costume face character…

Attachments

• IMG_7057.jpeg
    IMG_7057.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 44

_caleb

Original Poster
I completely agree! Aurora and Prince Phillip are pretty awful. The fairies look good. Maleficent is usually a face character, right? She is off to me too. I think maybe she would work better as a costume face character…
Yeah, the prosthetics are weird— probably more difficult to get right consistently for park characters.

Brer Panther

On the topic of characters not looking much like their animated selves, can I say a word about Timon? Here's what he looks like:
1699738449950.png

And here's the walkaround:
1699738488505.png

The colors are all wrong, and his expression bugs me.

Ah well, it could be worse... this is how he looks in Disney on Ice (along with an even scarier-looking Pumbaa):
1699738687866.png

Cmdr_Crimson

There was once a time where you can not just meet Bernard and Bianca from The Rescuers..But, also Penny (as an adult), Evenrude, Orville, Madame Medusa, Nero & Brutus..
tumblr_mogon3lQKl1r2pja4o1_1280.jpg

_caleb

Original Poster
On the topic of characters not looking much like their animated selves, can I say a word about Timon? Here's what he looks like:

And here's the walkaround:

The colors are all wrong, and his expression bugs me.
LOL I never noticed the coloration being off! I actually don't find this one to be so bad. The fur on top of his head seems strange, and the sleepy eyes are a weird expression to have frozen on his face, but the haunches seem like a good way to maintain proportions and the neck (which is often really off when it comes to walk around characters) isn't too bad!

Ah well, it could be worse... this is how he looks in Disney on Ice (along with an even scarier-looking Pumbaa):
I know these were done in the organic style of the Lion King show on broadway, but they do come across to me as off-model here! Timon is pear-shaped and Pumbaa is ugly in all the ways he's supposed to be and also in ways he's not supposed to be.

LeighM

Maleficent probably would better as a costume character because I thought the Queen of Hearts and the Evil Queen/Witch were well done the last time I saw them.

MK_HALLPRESCHAR_7476587347.jpeg
MK_TEACUPSCHAR2_7476461451.jpeg

And even the Mad Hatter looked good with the prosthetics used. So it can be done - but I wonder if it's easier to apply the makeup, blending, etc for only special events like the Parties instead of an everyday character.

MK_TEACUPSCHAR_7476440732.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom