Animated Characters in Real Life

_caleb

Original Poster
I've always been interested in how WDI translates the graphic design of an animated film into the 3-dimensional sets and AAs, character costumes, and fiberglass statues we see in Disney's themed attractions. Sometimes they really get it right! Other times, not so much.

Sometimes, they're limited by the materials and technology available. For example, the real-world Mickey character through the years:

hqdefault-10.jpg

The second one from the left is nightmare fuel.

But even with modern technology, the likenesses of some characters sort of fall into an uncanny valley as Imagineers tried to render in the real world. Ariel in the Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid seems like a good example of this to me, though it faces an even bigger challenge due to its having articulated mouth/eyes.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 6.48.06 PM.png

An admittedly unflattering photo of the Ariel AA.

In some ways, computer animation helps with this, because assets (character, props, sets) a rendered three dimensionally. The AAs on Frozen Ever After seem to match their on-screen depictions pretty closely. I hear that Disney is abandoning the rear-projection approach to animating faces, but it was a very creative approach to rendering CGI characters in the real world.

frozen-ever-after-epcot-june-2023-1.jpg

What's it called when someone's foundation makeup doesn't match their skin complexion?

With MM:RR, we see how weird a 2D character design (Mickey and friends from the Rudish shorts) can look when expressed on a 3D AA (the mylar balloon Mickey heads). In fact, most of this ride is an attempt to make the 3D world appear to the 2-dimensional (immersing you in a cartoon) in an attempt to bring these characters to life.

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Probably not the most flattering angle.

And then there's the challenge of capturing the essence of an animated film's general art style.

Toontown at DL did a decent job of evoking that "toon" feel, with bulbous and curving architecture and the cartoon hills backdrop. But the real world inevitably encroaches on the cartooniness of it all (the street is flat, the sky is real, and all the colors quickly faded.

Splash Mountain pulled this off quite well, despite the fact that many of its AAs were pulled from America Sings, which was done in sort of Marc Davis signature version of Disney's in-house art style. For Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, they took took the simple approach, painting 2D characters and scenes on flat plywood cutouts. They did a pretty good job with Peter Pan, Snow White, Pooh, etc. in my opinion.

Now, we're watching Tiana's Bayou Adventure come to life. It probably faces some of the biggest challenges yet: it's a realworld take on a 2D character (Tiana and company) reusing an existing realworld setting (Splash Mountain) that was built to house pre-existing characters (America Sings AAs). I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

To be clear: I'm not being critical here, I genuinely think this is one of the bigger challenges WDI faces and, as an animation fan, this is something I find super interesting to explore.

What are some other examples of WDI's unique approaches (successful or otherwise) to bringing animated characters to life in the real world?

Worldlover71

Some of the recent changes to the look of walk-around characters have been great (Woody, Clarabelle)
1699045704958.png
1699045747432.png

1699045781450.png
1699045791456.png

some have been less so (Chip & Dale)

1699045892713.png
1699045965135.png

and some are still badly needed (Queen of Hearts) because they don't look much like they do in their film.

1699046012980.png

_caleb

Original Poster
Some of the recent changes to the look of walk-around characters have been great (Woody, Clarabelle) View attachment 752495View attachment 752497

View attachment 752498View attachment 752499

some have been less so (Chip & Dale)

View attachment 752500View attachment 752501
and some are still badly needed (Queen of Hearts) because they don't look much like they do in their film.

View attachment 752502
YES! I was always put off by Wide-Neck Woody and No-Neck Jessie. Those are much improved!

Somehow, I’d missed Chip and Dale. What were they thinking?

Worldlover71

YES! I was always put off by Wide-Neck Woody and No-Neck Jessie. Those are much improved!

Somehow, I’d missed Chip and Dale. What were they thinking?
The new C&D are thankfully only in shows like Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration where they have articulated mouths.

LeighM

This has nothing to do with animatronics in rides or new technology, but I've always wondered why they have always had a hard time placing women who more closely match with Aurora/Sleeping Beauty. I don't know if it's the makeup, wig, or just bad casting. But that has been the only character that I've ever had an issue with in the parks.

yensidtlaw1969

I've done a few photoshops on this subject over the years - this (imperfect) one of the Pinocchio walkaround character was easiest to get my hands on, where I tried to make his face look more like the animated character:

Before and After:

a138ab60c4001f1c8db7a0843faab85d copy 2.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.35.35 AM copy 6-1.jpg

I feel like there are many characters like this where all it would take is a simple resculpt to make them much more on-model. Of course, that would cost money . . . but it's strange how many characters seem disconnected from their animated counterparts when Disney prides itself so much on that sort of accuracy.

LeighM

I've done a few photoshops on this subject over the years - this (imperfect) one of the Pinocchio walkaround character was easiest to get my hands on, where I tried to make his face look more like the animated character:

Before and After:

View attachment 752533View attachment 752532

I feel like there are many characters like this where all it would take is a simple resculpt to make them much more on-model. Of course, that would cost money . . . but it's strange how many characters seem disconnected from their animated counterparts when Disney prides itself so much on that sort of accuracy.

The one of the right terrifies me a little bit 🤣 With the eyes and grin, it reminds me too much of the scary doll thing that was on Goosebumps lol.

JIMINYCR

Disney has done a marvelous job in getting close to what the true representation of the human face and features are. Going from the bizarre look in the early years because they had very simple tools to work with to now the use of computer graphics and laser tech to map the human features. I do think they are coming close to perfecting facial representation and one day will, but we still arent there. I dont think Walt or the early animators were capable of perfection with the tools they had and were hoping to just have a better wow factor than anyone else that would keep them on top ahead of any competition. Walt was never fully satisfied with what was turned out or got he wanted and finally settled for the best they could produce before hitting the deadline to film.
I think the on screen depictions are creepier than the props such as Ariel and Ursula.
Still when I go to the parks I'm looking to be entertained and am not being so judgmental in what is brought out in M&G's or parades and can enjoy not so perfect representations of certain characters.

_caleb

Original Poster
I'm just fascinated by how WDI has always approached the challenge go moving a design from ink on celluloid to feathers, fur, latex, and fiberglass. It's obviously tricky, but Disney is so good at it. When I was a kid, I remember the fiberglass sofa in Mickey's house at DL's Toontown being much harder than I expected, but I would have sworn Captain Hook was real!

Splash's AAs of Br'ers Brer, Fox, and Rabbit appeared in fur and cloth. Disney typically mixed materials in order to capture the cartooniness of the face/expressions while also trying to make animals fuzzy/furry/feathered. Note the "wooden" door behind Rabbit done in fiberglass, which has become probably the most common way to depict animated wood and hard surfaces.

close-ups-of-brer-rabbit-and-mr-bluebird-at-the-end-of-v0-6wnacc6eymj81.jpg

Time to be moving along!
The darker times in character representation in the parks has been the fiberglass statue era. Sorry, Art of Animation, Pop Century, and the All-Star resorts, those giant fiberglass statues of the characters just don't do it for me.

disneys-art-of-animation-resort-exterior.jpg

We can all agree this is cheesy and cheap looking, right?

At least the ones included in Disney's dark rides tend to be done in a matte finish instead of those shiny hard-shelled ones.

snow-white-DIS1220-60bdd0e00af341e0bfb685ce13cbfcf0.jpg

So realistic and lifelike!

I'll be very interested in seeing how Disney adapts and uses new/unique approaches to making real-life cartoons. One that I've always been impressed with is the use of inflatables. The materials aren't great (the lightweight materials tend to be a bit too translucent), but they really do capture the squishiness of an inflated animated character like Baymax, don't you think?

maxresdefault-3.jpg

Baymax looks great, but Hiro looks like just some guest disneybounding...

Which brings me to another observation: Disney's decision when bringing an animated human into the real world. Sometimes, they decide to make them a face character and just find someone with vaguely similar features to wear similar clothing (see Hiro, above), which always makes it look like just some guest disneybounding.

Picture5.jpg

If Mira, Royal Detective was a princess, maybe she wouldn't get the unblinking no-neck treatment.

Other times, they make a false head/body to try to keep the cartoon look.

LiloStich2.jpg

I read somewhere that Lilo is 3'5" tall in the films.

And sometimes, they try both!

maxresdefault-4.jpg

The one in the middle is super creepy, but kids shouldn't be coddled when it comes do villainous hook-handed pirates.

257e89c416b61fb5bbc804c99e8321c7.jpg
photos-videos-the-first-ever-disneyland-after-da-17.jpeg

They say face character CMs make a lot more money than fully-costumed characters...

WorldExplorer

I think Kevin is probably the best they've ever done in terms of looking and acting exactly like the character in the movie;

She's obviously less flexible and isn't going to be throwing any children into the air, but other than that, spot on.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'll be very interested in seeing how Disney adapts and uses new/unique approaches to making real-life cartoons. One that I've always been impressed with is the use of inflatables. The materials aren't great (the lightweight materials tend to be a bit too translucent), but they really do capture the squishiness of an inflated animated character like Baymax, don't you think?

View attachment 752612
Baymax looks great, but Hiro looks like just some guest disneybounding...
You think that's bad? Allow me to show you the uncomfortable looking version of Hiro from DLP as they have a costumed character version..
CXlH4G0WwAQ2fjk.jpg

Still not enough eh? How about the rest of the team....
CXlSmY6WMAEubeG.jpg

Another good example..Disney's Doug...During it's popularity they had Doug & Patti doing M&G's at the studios...
Doug-Funnie-and-Patti-Mayonnaise-walt-disney-theme-parks-41424458-500-612.jpg

Aaaannnd then there's the uncanny Valley that is the Live Show done at the studios..
EX0sGXqXQAANVaE.jpg

Finally, there is the unsettling Jessica Rabbit from DLP....It's those eyes......Which one do I look at??
FGJcbAFXoAAuw1z.jpg

Now, they also have an Eddie Valiant which works and it's shame they aren't at DHS...I can do with the other 2..Just not Jessica...Gives me the Jibblies..
DMQpPxNXUAAs9zO.jpg

_caleb

Original Poster
You think that's bad? Allow me to show you the uncomfortable looking version of Hiro from DLP as they have a costumed character version..
CXlH4G0WwAQ2fjk.jpg

Still not enough eh? How about the rest of the team....
CXlSmY6WMAEubeG.jpg

Another good example..Disney's Doug...During it's popularity they had Doug & Patti doing M&G's at the studios...
Doug-Funnie-and-Patti-Mayonnaise-walt-disney-theme-parks-41424458-500-612.jpg

Aaaannnd then there's the uncanny Valley that is the Live Show done at the studios..
EX0sGXqXQAANVaE.jpg

Finally, there is the unsettling Jessica Rabbit from DLP....It's those eyes......Which one do I look at??
FGJcbAFXoAAuw1z.jpg

Now, they also have an Eddie Valiant which works and it's shame they aren't at DHS...I can do with the other 2..Just not Jessica...Gives me the Jibblies..
DMQpPxNXUAAs9zO.jpg
Oh, man—that Jessica Rabbit is terrifying!

Brer Panther

With the "face" characters, it's probably really hard to find people who look EXACTLY like the animated characters... not everyone has eyes as big as Rapunzel's. But I don't think characters like the princesses, the princes, Alice, etc. would work as "fur" characters. I mean, just look at the Jessica Rabbit and Big Hero 6 costumes previously posted.

Y'know who could use an update? Ludwig Von Drake. I know he's a rare character they don't trot out much, but he looks really off...

1699401773835.png

They actually had a far more on-model Von Drake costume for the "World According to Goofy" parade at Disneyland... I wonder if they still have this somewhere in the archives...

1699401855207.png

How about that Rex costume they just debuted? Looks great. They should totally bring this to the parks:
1699402128922.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom