Animal Kingdom's Sumatran Tiger is Pregnant

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
The Disney Parks Blog announced the cubs are a boy and a girl. They'll remain backstage for the foreseeable future.

MaharajahJungleTrekSumatranTiger2.jpg

MaharajahJungleTrekSumatranTiger3.jpg

AEfx

I'd pay $399 for a premium dessert party with those cuties.

Same! I wanna play with the kitties!!

For that, you guys would have to go to South Carolina - it's one of the only places in the US (and I think the only one on the east coast) that you can do that.

The AZA/Species Survival Plan which these were born under, as DAK is fully accredited, doesn't want you anywhere near them. They don't even really want you to see them. The AZA/SSP very carefully cultivates the image presented by accredited institutions, partially to justify the existence of zoo's period to keep the animal rights activists at bay, but primarily for the simple fact they don't want you to see them and think they make cute pets.

It's hard to tell by the way Disney worded the blog post - while it says that the mother is doing well with bonding, the way they put it made me think they are at least partially being hand-raised by humans (supplemental bottle feeding, and so forth). I'm sure Disney would love to be sharing this with videos and webcams, etc. - or even have the nursery area publicly viewable by guests or backstage tours (though there would be no touching even if they did because of zoonotic issues). But they can't, because again AZA/SSP don't even want the public to see them, especially anywhere near humans who may be interacting with them.

Even if the mother is doing full-time care, it will still be awhile before they will let them in with the rest of the adults. In the wild, tiger cubs only have 50% chance of surviving the first year. This is due to sickness/disease, predators, but also male infanticide. They can mitigate two of those, but one of them they have no control over once they are out there together.

bclane

For that, you guys would have to go to South Carolina - it's one of the only places in the US (and I think the only one on the east coast) that you can do that.

The AZA/Species Survival Plan which these were born under, as DAK is fully accredited, doesn't want you anywhere near them. They don't even really want you to see them. The AZA/SSP very carefully cultivates the image presented by accredited institutions, partially to justify the existence of zoo's period to keep the animal rights activists at bay, but primarily for the simple fact they don't want you to see them and think they make cute pets.

It's hard to tell by the way Disney worded the blog post - while it says that the mother is doing well with bonding, the way they put it made me think they are at least partially being hand-raised by humans (supplemental bottle feeding, and so forth). I'm sure Disney would love to be sharing this with videos and webcams, etc. - or even have the nursery area publicly viewable by guests or backstage tours (though there would be no touching even if they did because of zoonotic issues). But they can't, because again AZA/SSP don't even want the public to see them, especially anywhere near humans who may be interacting with them.

Even if the mother is doing full-time care, it will still be awhile before they will let them in with the rest of the adults. In the wild, tiger cubs only have 50% chance of surviving the first year. This is due to sickness/disease, predators, but also male infanticide. They can mitigate two of those, but one of them they have no control over once they are out there together.
Holy cow that place in South Carolina looks amazing!! Thanks for the info AEfx as that is now on my bucket list. :joyfull:

AEfx

Holy cow that place in South Carolina looks amazing!! Thanks for the info AEfx as that is now on my bucket list. :joyfull:

Make sure you read some reviews online first, so you know what you are getting into. You don't spend that much time with the animals in the normal experience, you just get a minute or two so they can snap the pictures you are paying $100's for. The backstage tour is a bit different, but is also a lot more expensive.

bclane

Make sure you read some reviews online first, so you know what you are getting into. You don't spend that much time with the animals in the normal experience, you just get a minute or two so they can snap the pictures you are paying $100's for. The backstage tour is a bit different, but is also a lot more expensive.
Good advice, thanks. I'll make sure I do that so I can pick the right experience/tour.

Ismael Flores

Seeing tigers in the wild is amazing, I was lucky to go twice on a safari into the protected forests in India. Tigers can be very territorial and something happened that my group got to see one tiger within 50 feet of us in a hunting position.

We were actually on our way out of the protected area because the government is very strict of how many jeeps can be within a mile radius and what time they must be out. We were hurrying out and there in front of us the tiger keeping an eye on a large blue elk.

Next at we happen to catch another one frolicking in a large pond having a great time playing with some branches in the water

bclane

Seeing tigers in the wild is amazing, I was lucky to go twice on a safari into the protected forests in India. Tigers can be very territorial and something happened that my group got to see one tiger within 50 feet of us in a hunting position.

We were actually on our way out of the protected area because the government is very strict of how many jeeps can be within a mile radius and what time they must be out. We were hurrying out and there in front of us the tiger keeping an eye on a large blue elk.

Next at we happen to catch another one frolicking in a large pond having a great time playing with some branches in the water
That does sound like an amazing adventure!

MissM

Or you could just run down I-4 to Dade city
http://dadecityswildthings.com/animal-encounters/
NO!! Do NOT support any place that allows or profits from petting tiger cubs!

How the cubs are treated. The cubs are ripped from their mothers at birth, physically punished to diminish their natural behaviors, and deprived of sleep.

What happens to them when too big to pet. The cubs have undeveloped immune systems and there is no record keeping of how many die. If they survive, they typically end up living in tiny, barren cages. The females are often bred unnaturally soon after birth (in the wild they raise the cubs for 2-3 years before conceiving again). This unnatural repetitive breeding is believed to lead to breast cancer.

How cub petting impacts conservation in the wild. Not only is there no conservation value to the breeding and no conservation education associated with cub petting, but it actually negatively impacts conservation in the wild in two ways. First, it sends entirely the wrong message by misleading people into believing that keeping inbred tigers of mixed subspecies is “conservation” so we do not have to worry about them going extinct in the wild. Second, the rampant breeding for petting and lack of tracking of tigers in the U.S. diminishes the credibility of the United States in the international community when we oppose the “tiger farming” in Asian countries that leads to more poaching of the tiger in the wild.

More: https://bigcatrescue.org/cubs/

You can pet, play with and bottle feed this cub and we’ll take a picture of you so you can share it with your friends – BUT, it means one of the following will happen to this cub once he/she is too big for this anymore:

• this cub will suffer the rest of his/her life in a cage without proper food or care
  • this cub will be shipped off to a hunting ranch to be shot for a price
  • this cub will be slaughtered for the exotic meat market
  • this cub will be sold off at auction to the highest bidder, fate unknown
  • this cub will be killed for parts and bones for the medicinal market
  • this cub will be lost in the illegal black market trade of exotic animals
We know you’d never say “yes” to any of these. You love animals. That’s why you want this experience. But, that’s exactly what you agree to when you say “yes” to this thrill-of-a-lifetime offer.

More: http://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/say-no-to-cub-petting/

I could go on. But PLEASE. Do NOT support any place that allows this awful practice to continue.

John park hopper

How the cubs are treated. The cubs are ripped from their mothers at birth, physically punished to diminish their natural behaviors, and deprived of sleep.

What happens to them when too big to pet. The cubs have undeveloped immune systems and there is no record keeping of how many die. If they survive, they typically end up living in tiny, barren cages. The females are often bred unnaturally soon after birth (in the wild they raise the cubs for 2-3 years before conceiving again). This unnatural repetitive breeding is believed to lead to breast cancer.

How cub petting impacts conservation in the wild. Not only is there no conservation value to the breeding and no conservation education associated with cub petting, but it actually negatively impacts conservation in the wild in two ways. First, it sends entirely the wrong message by misleading people into believing that keeping inbred tigers of mixed subspecies is “conservation” so we do not have to worry about them going extinct in the wild. Second, the rampant breeding for petting and lack of tracking of tigers in the U.S. diminishes the credibility of the United States in the international community when we oppose the “tiger farming” in Asian countries that leads to more poaching of the tiger in the wild.

You can pet, play with and bottle feed this cub and we’ll take a picture of you so you can share it with your friends – BUT, it means one of the following will happen to this cub once he/she is too big for this anymore:

• this cub will suffer the rest of his/her life in a cage without proper food or care
We know you’d never say “yes” to any of these. You love animals. That’s why you want this experience. But, that’s exactly what you agree to when you say “yes” to this thrill-of-a-lifetime offer.

I could go on. But PLEASE. Do NOT support any place that allows this awful practice to continue.

OMG this is absolutely the most horrible thing I have ever read. It made me sick. To think that any one could be so inhumane. I can't believe this is allowed any where in the world. Who in their right mind would participate in any of this --------SICK SOBs!!!!

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Don't blame the messenger, I don't make these places I just know they exist.

How about the zoos with their animal encounter programs? Are those the spawn of Satan too? Or is it just the little puddy tats?

bclane

Good grief I had no idea. If even half of that is true it's freaking terrible.

cindy_k

To add to this list of ethical places you can visit to see Big Cats:
I support: https://bigcatrescue.org/

This group is in Tampa, and they are very active in rescuing cats and working to change the laws and save cubs from a life in captivity.

(oops, I missed the link to BigCats in the earlier post. Its an awesome group of people who do good work. I think worthy of extra attention. )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom