Animal Kingdom vs Universal Studios Florida

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
1-Day Disney's Animal Kingdom Park Itinerary - Disney Tourist Blog
Tickets on Sale Now for Disney After Hours at Disney's Animal Kingdom |  Disney Parks Blog
A-Z Coaster of the Week: Expedition Everest - Coaster101

Welcome Back! Here's what you missed at Universal Orlando Resort - Discover  Universal
Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
Revenge-of-the-Mummy-Queue-Tour-Pics-before-refurbishment-2022-jan-6-3849238-1200x900.jpeg

Listen, I know they are two completely different parks that try to achieve completely different things, but I like hearing the discussion these park vs park can have.

Let's say that you have one single day in the Orlando area, and you can only go to one of these two parks. Which would you pick?
Both parks have thrilling rides, an immersive land based on a movie, and overall rely on a great (albeit different) theme park experience.
Which park is superior, has better rides, more fun, etc? Which is the better park?

celluloid

So many other factors.. Is it going to be a rainy/stormy day? What does your group like? Are people willing to take the time to see animal exhibits or would they be good with one animal show?

SpectreJordan

Animal Kingdom, hands down. I think it's a pretty underrated park. The theming is amazing, it has a really good lineup of attractions (even though they could definitely use more), it has great food & it's a theme park where you can actually relax. There's a lot of little nooks & crannies where you can just chill while looking at beautiful scenery.

Universal Studios is my least favorite park in Orlando. It's not bad but I wouldn't give any of the rides anything above a B (I still need to ride ET, F&F & Fallon though.... I only want to ride ET lol). Diagon Alley is insanely impressive though, the best themed land I've seen; I wish the Gringotts ride matched the land though, it's fun but I was a bit disappointed by it.

Whenever I've been at Studios, I've always rather have been at Islands of Adventure. The difference in quality between those two is insane.

I'm hoping the rumor that Universal is moving a lot of their backstage to Epic Universe is correct. Hopefully that'd open up some much needed expansion space for Studios. Give that park some attractions on the same quality as Pets (just straight up port this over tbh), Velocicoaster, Hagrids & Mario then it'll be in good shape.

Club Cooloholic

This is kinda of like asking do the kids want to go to Baskin Robbins where they have 31 flavors or they the local dairy farm where they have 8 flavors. Both are going to be great experiences bur one just gas way more variety. BUT you might just really be feeling that quality farm creamery experience. Anyway, if it's a only one day to spend in Orlando choice. I choose Uni.

dreday3

Animal Kingdom, hands down. I think it's a pretty underrated park. The theming is amazing, it has a really good lineup of attractions (even though they could definitely use more), it has great food & it's a theme park where you can actually relax. There's a lot of little nooks & crannies where you can just chill while looking at beautiful scenery.

Universal Studios is my least favorite park in Orlando. It's not bad but I wouldn't give any of the rides anything above a B (I still need to ride ET, F&F & Fallon though.... I only want to ride ET lol). Diagon Alley is insanely impressive though, the best themed land I've seen; I wish the Gringotts ride matched the land though, it's fun but I was a bit disappointed by it.

Whenever I've been at Studios, I've always rather have been at Islands of Adventure. The difference in quality between those two is insane.

I'm hoping the rumor that Universal is moving a lot of their backstage to Epic Universe is correct. Hopefully that'd open up some much needed expansion space for Studios. Give that park some attractions on the same quality as Pets (just straight up port this over tbh), Velocicoaster, Hagrids & Mario then it'll be in good shape.

I think (some) people miss how detailed the theming is in Animal Kingdom. You can spend a day just reading the signs throughout the park, they are fantastic, some really funny. Walk around every corner and you'll see some kind of prop - an old bike with mangoes, crates, anything.

I'm not describing it well, but the care and thought that went into all the details in AK to make it so immersive is truly beyond. It really is one of the greatest theme parks ever built.

JIMINYCR

As much as I enjoy AK and all it has to offer me, if theres one day limitation and I'm looking for thrills... its Uni all day. HP beats Avatar, VelociCoaster beats EE, Dudley beats Kali, Kong beats Dino, then add in Mummy, Hulk, Bourne, and I'm getting more for my money than spending on AK. I may miss out on animal viewing on the Safari and around the animal enclosures which are nice to view but dont do much for my wanting a thrill. When it comes down to the total value regarding thrills for me its Uni topping AK.

SpectreJordan

I think (some) people miss how detailed the theming is in Animal Kingdom. You can spend a day just reading the signs throughout the park, they are fantastic, some really funny. Walk around every corner and you'll see some kind of prop - an old bike with mangoes, crates, anything.

I'm not describing it well, but the care and thought that went into all the details in AK to make it so immersive is truly beyond. It really is one of the greatest theme parks ever built.
Absolutely. It's such a beautiful park. I think the only reason it's underrated is because of how few rides it has, but even then I think all of its rides are good. Hopefully Disney will use some of the huge expansion pads sooner rather than later; with the current state of things, that probably won't happen but I can dream!
As much as I enjoy AK and all it has to offer me, if theres one day limitation and I'm looking for thrills... its Uni all day. HP beats Avatar, VelociCoaster beats EE, Dudley beats Kali, Kong beats Dino, then add in Mummy, Hulk, Bourne, and I'm getting more for my money than spending on AK. I may miss out on animal viewing on the Safari and around the animal enclosures which are nice to view but dont do much for my wanting a thrill. When it comes down to the total value regarding thrills for me its Uni topping AK.
This is about Studios specifically, not Islands. Islands definitely beats AK, that's such a "bang for your buck" park.

LittleMerman

Animal Kingdom. It's my 3rd favorite theme park after MK and SeaWorld Orlando. I love the theme, it's beautiful, it has Flight of Passage which is my favorite ride I've ever been on, great food options, it feels a little more chill which is nice.

Universal is my least favorite of the 7 Orlando theme parks. I only really like Mummy, Escape from Gringotts, and ET. They need something new and big in that park.

Goofyernmost

Seriously? There is no way to compare Animal Kingdom to Universal. The only thing that have in common is one is Disney and the other isn't. Uni, is much larger, with much more to do and see. It doesn't have live animals and definitely "Nohtazu". It has a completely different theme and the only thing either really has in common is that they are located in the Orlando area. So it boils down to what people want to do or see, there is nothing to compare on a level plain. I have been to Universal almost every trip since it opened and found things that I liked better than Disney and things I didn't like as well, but always felt it was done well and marveled at how many people judged it without ever setting foot in the place. Their loss, I guess, but the place has a lot to offer if given a chance.

As much as I enjoy AK and all it has to offer me, if theres one day limitation and I'm looking for thrills... its Uni all day. HP beats Avatar, VelociCoaster beats EE, Dudley beats Kali, Kong beats Dino, then add in Mummy, Hulk, Bourne, and I'm getting more for my money than spending on AK.

aint a fair fight............

you just used 2 parks against one. (wasn't the exercise before us Uni Studios park vs AK park??)

MoragL

If we are only talking about Universal Studios and not IOA then that makes it a very tough decision. IOA would win hands down for me but just US then I think AK might win

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
You're comparing AK to Islands AND Universal, if you read the description at all, you would know we're only talking about the Universal Studios Florida park here. You can't compare both of the parks to just AK lol

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
So many other factors.. Is it going to be a rainy/stormy day? What does your group like? Are people willing to take the time to see animal exhibits or would they be good with one animal show?
Overall, which theme park is better for an average theme park fan and which park has better quality rides, restaurants, theming, overall provides a better theme park experience? Which park is more worth your money

Tom Morrow

Really weird comparison, but I believe DAK is the most immersive theme park in Orlando, and USF is hands down the ugliest. Attractions-wise, USF has more, but it also lacks a ride that's as big of a knockout as Flight of Passage. DAK also has far better dining and entertainment, so it "wins" for me.

Last edited:

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Really weird comparison, but I believe DAK is the best and most immersive theme park in Orlando, and USF is hands down the ugliest. Attractions-wise, USF has more, but it also lacks a ride that's as big of a knockout as Flight of Passage. DAK also has far better dining and entertainment, so it "wins" for me.
That is why I wanted to ask this question as DAK has no doubt better theming, but USF has more rides and has a more stronger and larger lineup of rides, even if it lacks a true standout ride that DAK has with Flight of Passage. It's close, hence why I wanted to see what people would prefer overall.

dreday3

That is why I wanted to ask this question as DAK has no doubt better theming, but USF has more rides and has a more stronger and larger lineup of rides, even if it lacks a true standout ride that DAK has with Flight of Passage. It's close, hence why I wanted to see what people would prefer overall.

I think then it depends on if you are more of a "ride" person or more of an "immersive experience" person.

That's why AK wins for me, over ANY park in Orlando. If I only had one day, I would go to AK because there is sooooo much more to it than just rides and for me, that's important. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom