Animal Kingdom Vs. Dolphin

snakeislandboy

I am planning a Honeymoon and I am trying to decide what my best option is. For some reason, I really think the Animal Kingdom would be great, but the nice looking rooms and comfy looking beds in the Dolphin are looking good too. The Dolphin is also less expensive. Does anyone have words of wisdom or past expirence that would help me make my decision. Also if someone has another affordable honeymoon option that you think would be better for me, please share that also.
Thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've stayed at both, and they are great resorts. For a honeymoon though, I would go with Animal Kingdom Lodge without a doubt. The Dolphin is very comfortable, modern, efficient, but the Lodge has incredibly theming, atmosphere, and the extra touch of Disney.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Animal Kingdom Lodge is without question the best resort on Disney property. You will want to get a Savannah view room and leave some time to explore the resort itself. Not sure if they still do this but at one time they had a private dinner for 2 that was served on your rooms balcony. If you can swing the cash for the concierge level you will also have the possibility of doing the sunrise safari. In a nutshell it is a very special tour on AK African safari well before the park opens. Your party will have a private guide and unlike the normal ride they will stop for pictures etc. This is followed by a very lavish breakfast buffet at the Tusker House. It is only open to AKL concierge guests (and it fills up quickly) so you will want to reserve as early as you can.

Upvote 0

barnum42

I can't afford either, but if I could it would be Animal Kingdom Lodge. Far more special and atmospheric. Also, it's a Disney hotel, the Dolphin is not a Disney Hotel.

Upvote 0

STITCHRULES

Animal Kingdom Lodge for sure. We have stayed at both AKL and the Dolphin, used to love the Dolphin and it was our favorite-until AKL. We stayed at Polynesian for our honeymoon, which is also great, but I would go AKL Savannah view- no doubt. Rooms are great, Views are spectacular and the food is awesome.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
This is not a debate. It's not even a choice that needs to be made. AKL wins hand down.

If you do decide concierge at AKL, there are 2 other tours available on top of the sunrise Yoda was talking about. And by far the best is the Sunset Safari. You'll spend the first half of the tour in a small open top van driving around AKL's savanna. Only a max of 8 people are on this tour, so it's a small intimate tour. We spent a long time, over 1 1/2 hours + out there.

You'll get the absolutly best photo's you'll ever get without going to Africa on a real safari.

Then you have a huge multi-course dinner with the whole tour group at Jiko. It was absolutly wonderful. And worth every penny, even though it was expensive ($150 a person).

If you're looking for special stuff to do on the honeymoon...that tour is it.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Glasgow

Keep in mind that the Swan and Dolphin also host a lot of conferences and group events so that may kill the 'magic' for you. I've stayed there 4 times for a conference and while it is very nice, I don't think you're going to top AKL for theming and romantic ambience.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

Glasgow said:
Keep in mind that the Swan and Dolphin also host a lot of conferences and group events so that may kill the 'magic' for you. I've stayed there 4 times for a conference and while it is very nice, I don't think you're going to top AKL for theming and romantic ambience.
Well said! :)

I stayed at the AKL this past August/September and I think it may have spoiled me for my WDW trips for life! :lol: I've stayed at the Poly, WL, Contemporary, GF and POR and the AKL is by far my favourite. I've never stayed at the Swolphin - they just scream Vegas to me and don't have the charm and feel of the other Disney Resorts.

If you book a standard room at the AKL and you mention it's your honeymoon, there are very good chances that you'll get an upgrade, btw... DH and I got one last time, and we didn't mention a thing at check in!

Upvote 0

goofyfan13

I'm going to join the bandwagon and say AKL. It is my favorite resort on property, the themeing is amazing, the Savanna's are awesome(make sure you get a savanna view), the pool area is very relaxing, and Boma is a must see!

Hope you have a great Honeymoon! Don't get too crazy :animwink: :lol:

Upvote 0

harrneil

Hi,

While I agree with the posts above, there is one consideration you should bear in mind If you cannot afford (or don't want to pay) for a savanah view or concierge level. The standard rooms at the AK lodge, while nice, are nothing to write home about. The dolphin however offers a fantastic location within walking (or boating) distance of epcot or MGM studios, no matter which level of room or view you have.

While I have stayed in both a number of times, and agree that the view from the central savanagh rooms is excellent. My wife and I both agree that one of the best things at WDW is walking back to the swan/dolphin after a nice meal and illuminations at epcot.

Plus you can make use of the restaurants at the yacht and beach club and the boardwalk.

Hope this helps.

Neil

PS: Going back to the dolphin in December!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom