Animal Kingdom or Busch Gardens?

drdoom1001

I'm not sure that I agree about those statements. There are many more beautiful parks than BGA and BGE... Idlewild Park in PA and Cypress Gardens in FL are the first that come to mind. But there are SO many parks that have better landscaping than either of the above.

Cypress Gardens doesn't do much for me at all,the garden areas were pretty nice as well as being next to a lake,but overall it doesn't compare to the Busch parks.I mean I understand your point but when their bathrooms are probably the nastiest of any park I've ever visited I can't take this park seriously!! For my taste BGW is the most beautiful!!

There's a shuttle from Orlando to Busch Gardens,here's a link.

Orlando - Tampa Transportation to Busch Gardens for $10.00 p/p

Rabflmom

My DH has been to both. He said AK is the best HANDS DOWN!!! His reasons were:
  • The animals at AK looked healthy.
  • The animals at AK were not walking on concrete.
  • The animals are not caged/fensed up (though we know that WDW uses structures around the parks so other animals don't wander around to another animal section.
  • The park is much cleaner.
  • AK is also educates you with the animals in the park.
  • Much better customer service. THANKS TO ALL THE CMs!!!!!

I've been to both many times and actually like them both better than any of the other Disney Parks. Which is the best? You really can't compare them. There are good things about both. AK is done true Disney style and I was surprised that after it was open a few years I could change my opinion on it and actually say it is my favorite of the Disney parks.

At both parks the animals are cared for very well. Neither park uses cages and I am not sure where the cement floor animals are at BG because they seem to be roaming free unless they are in the nursery or alligators and such that you want to see close up without them being a danger to the park.

I don't see a lot of difference in cleanliness at the parks and know that both parks try their best to give you a good experience. Cleanliness is only as good as the people going to the park, actually. If you have stupid people who don't use trash cans than you have to clean up after. It is hard to pick up after everyone before someone else sees the mess left behind. Both parks do try.

As for friendliness of the employees, I really haven't seen a difference there either. Maybe my friendly smile and good nature works both places. Customer service has always been the max at both parks.

Busch Gardens also had the areas to learn about the animals in the petting area, nursery etc. In each area of the park there are employees who basically have question answer periods set up at set times and are usually available when ever the park is open. There are also signs to read about every animal if you take the time to read them.

Theming...... I think both parks have it. AK has the tropical look in some places and the tree of life and fake Africa trees really add to the atmosphere of the park. Shoot the tree of life is worth a visit to AK in my book.

You can actually see more animals and actually see them from a closer range at BG than you can on the safari at AK.
For example the lions are within a glass away area and may be lying in the truck so you see them through the back window........infortunately I have yet to see the lion at AK in all the times I have been on the safari. That lion king overhang is really far from the truck path. But we enjoy the walk- throughs in both parks. AT BG doing the tour to feed the giraffes is tops in my book.

Eating at the Colony House restaurant at BG is also a plus. It is a 4 star restaurant in a theme park with windows and an outdoor patio overlooking the giraffes etc. They serve real meals on the top floor and if you get the family style meals it isn't as expensive as the sit down restaurants in Disney. We usually feed four adults for less than $45 there.

BG is a huge park so be prepared for lots of walking-especially if you walk through all the different ways to see the animals.

The question that I think is the decision maker is.......Will you have a car this trip?
It is just over an hour to hour and half to get to BG from Disney.
They do have a bus that picks up in several spots of Orlando; but I think it gets to the park too late and leaves to soon to allow you to experience the whole park. AK you can see in a half day, but BG is a full day or more park if you want to see and do everything. During the summer they have late nights at BG and set up bands and shows around the park. BTW if you get a full rainy/stormy day that ends your fun at the park, you can get a return ticket.

Almost forgot. As for shows........Kotanga is a don't miss show. It is as as good as my favorite-Lion King at the AK. There usually are some really good singers. Also if you like old rock and roll the Rock the Casba show is corny but I love it. I try to go to the last shpow of the night and my sons hit the coasters over and over while we watch the show. If there are fireworks that night( really good ones near holidays) , you are in a great area to sit and watch them.

Of course BG has the rides that AK doesn't have so if you have teens they will enjoy that more than AK. There also is a great kids part of the park with rides, play areas, and shows for them there.

The aviary is also fun. Where else can you feed birds and have them sit on your hand etc. We also enjoy the bird show which adds entertainment to an educational show.

And something no one has mentioned----if you are there on the right weekends you can see Jack Hannah......... and the hospitality house gives out free beer samples. You can also go to beer school.

Either park you go to will be fun!

ImaYoyo

Lol, colony house is not rated as a 4 star nor a 4 diamond restaurant. Exactly what publication were you looking at that gave them 4 stars? And katonga? That was 45 minutes of my life I will NEVER get back. In my book, it was almost as bad as Sounds Dangerous, but LONGER.

themarchhare

I have to go with AK. I live in Virginia so I go to BGW all the time - I love it, but I go a lot so it's not as much of a "treat". I also go to BGT every year and I'm not that impressed - BGW is prettier and has better versions of the same types of coasters (well, three are). For me it's no. 3 - BGT, no. 2 - BGW, and no. 1 - AK. PLEASE, if you haven't already visited BGW - COME! It's BEAUTIFUL and for me, it's the closest you can get to that "disney" feeling without being in the house of the mouse.

EpcotServo

From one who hates the "OR" argument, (I don't get why people can't like Universal AND Disney) I didn't care for Busch Gardens. It felt like a ghetto version of DAK.
:lol:

Jokes aside, the only ride I liked there was Rhino Rally, and even that wasn't very good if the cool ending isn't working. (and two out of the three times I went on it, it wasn't working. :dazzle: )

DAK is a much better adventure, and with an amazing Roller Coaster, Better stage shows, better theming, and more overall better-ness, DAK wins. Plus I'd rather poke my eyes out with sticks than watch "Haunted Lighthouse 4-D" again.

:lookaroun

Rabflmom

Worst. 4D. Movie. Ever.

(Thank the gods it's gone though! Guess even they realized how bad it truly was.)
-m

That's gone. Replaced last year or the year before. We never wasted time on it after the first trip. Watching and feeding some of the animals is our fav.

gman2

I like both miami one is not as good as the other busch gradens I hope disney could make a deal with them since the gardens have been losing money

ImaYoyo

Miami one? Losing money? I don't think you're speaking of the same "Gardens" we're speaking of. Busch Gardens is a very successful theme park in Tampa, Florida, owned by the Anheuser Busch company.
I like both miami one is not as good as the other busch gradens I hope disney could make a deal with them since the gardens have been losing money

shanny

how far is the drive from disney to BG? wondering if we could pull that off in a day and make it back for a late dinner ressie. though ive heard up to 3 hours one way???

Right now Busch Gardens is getting an update to the back of the park and Shiekra went floorless today. So its really "your" opinion. Busch Gardens is good for the rollercoasters and their savannah is alright but Animal Kingdom is MUCH better. To get out on the savanna at BG you have to pay $50 bucks but Kilimanjaro is FREE, well with admission. Yes you get to pet and feed the animals but hey.

So it all depends on the person but Busch Gardens is nice, just Animal Kingdom is NAHT-A-ZOO. :)

Figment82

Plus I'd rather poke my eyes out with sticks than watch "Haunted Lighthouse 4-D" again.

Oh goodness that show was horrendous! We made the mistake of watching it - I just started laughing at it. Glad to hear it's gone!

My favorite part was feeding the lories. The rides are fun (esp. since they still have a Skyway) and it's a nice park, but I'd take AK anyday, hands down no contest. Absolutely gorgeous theming (which, as a detail buff, I love) and it doesn't feel as if you are in a "zoo" - it's something completely different. You step into another world and are caught up in the beauty of the surroundings.

I'd also rather go to BG Williamsburg than Tampa - I LOVE the Williamsburg one. Big Bad Wolf and Apollo's Chariot are great.

fizzle75

AK you can see in a half day, but BG is a full day or more park if you want to see and do everything.

I have heard many people on these boards say that they can do AK in half a day and I must completely and totally disagree and say...YOU'RE CRAZY!:eek:

Yeah, I have no doubt that you can hit all of the rides(E:E,Kali,Dinosaur,Kilimanjaro Safaris) in half a day but there is no way to fully experience Animal Kingdom in anything less than a full day. We usually devote 2 days of our trip to AK and still have trouble seeing and doing everything. Now, I'll admit, we probably go at a much more leisurely pace than alot of folks on these boards do so it is very easy for us to make AK a two day park but if you are doing AK in less than a day you aren't truly experiencing it. I'll get off of my soapbox now.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom