Animal Kingdom Lodge: Honeymoon

WWallaceII

Original Poster
Hi everyone, hope you are all well!

I am currently trying to plan my soon-to-be wife and I's honeymoon for next year, and we both loved the look of the AKL when we passed it by a month ago (how I miss WDW....). I was just curious if anyone else had been there for their honeymoon or even just as a couple? If so, would you recommend it?

Next August is big-day, but we both decided that after being to WDW twice in last 2 years, and staying off-site, that we would come back for our honeymoon to one of the resorts - can't wait!!

Thanks for any info!

Philo

I'll be staying there for my honeymoon in April!!! (well, half of it anyway, the other half will be at the WL).

I have no idea what it would be like for a honeymoon but I know that we both loved it when we visted for a few mins last January and that was enough for me.

We decided to go for the savanah view room to make it a little more special - I would recommend you do the same.

The only downside that I can see is that there will be some construction going on till 2009 (builging the villas to the west of the resort and some refurb to the existing rooms / lobby etc) so that might affect your decision. It might be a little noisy during the day and some things may be covered up for construction but I doubt it will be terrible.

Congratulations! Let us know what you decide to do.

Teenchy

Although a beautiful resort it would not fit my taste for a Honeymoon location. But everyone has different tastes. I would pick Poly first because the tropical feel is something I would enjoy for a Honeymoon.

I would definitely agree that staying onsite is a must.

If I could make a suggestion on a great book for couples visiting WDW, see below.

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-W...6113221?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190674869&sr=8-1

My wife and I have used this book for many romantic ideas. Congrats and have a great time.

P.S. You may also want to do a search for honeymoons on this site there are many threads with many suggestions and ideas.

Coree

My husband and I stayed at AKL for our honeymoon five years ago. We had a great time and I think the atmosphere was very nice for honeymooning. My one regret is that we didn't get a savannah-view room. I think a standard or pool view is nice, but savannah view is what makes this resort special.

WWallaceII

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice! We would definitely be getting a savannah-view room, it just looks amazing! We are both animal daft, so it fits the bill well.

I have been reading a few posts on this site regarding the Polynesian too, and that sounds great aswell. But I suppose if my dilemma is the Poly or AKL, then its a pretty good dilemma to have!!!

How late do the buses run in WDW? I only ask as we have never visited Downtown Disney and would really like to take that in at some point.

WWallaceII

Original Poster
Hi folks!

Just a little update for you all, we have decided to go with our gut feeling and first decision and just booked the AKL for our honeymoon..:sohappy:

And yes, we got a savannah view room, as someone else stated - it would just be a waste without it!!

Thanks for all the info again.

GoofyforWDW

:wave:Hi,

Just read your posts. I am off to WDW on November 4th and staying at AKL (savannah view) we went and had a look round last time we was in the world and it was great, the pool looked fantastic. :sohappy: Hoping the construction isn't going to affect our time there. :veryconfu So Excited!

But more importantly we are getting married at the Poly on 9th November so we get to experience both resorts in a way!

Finally then off on Disney Wonder cruise for 4 nights before returning back to Orlando and staying off site for 10 days!

Did you think about doing one of the Disney cruises as part of your honeymoon, looks great and im sure being Disney it will be! :sohappy:

5 weeks to day and counting!

Hope you have a fantastic time, time will fly by and it will be here sooner than you think!

WWallaceII

Original Poster
Hi GoofyforWDW!

That sounds like an amazing wedding/honeymoon/cruise you have! We are considering the 4 day cruise on the Wonder now, we can add it to our package with Virgin so its a definite possibility.

I look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back - good luck for the day and your whole trip!

Philo

Hi folks!

Just a little update for you all, we have decided to go with our gut feeling and first decision and just booked the AKL for our honeymoon..:sohappy:

And yes, we got a savannah view room, as someone else stated - it would just be a waste without it!!

Thanks for all the info again.

Congratulations!

I think you made the right choice. Whilst I would love the poly, the animal kingdom just somehow seems right for us.

Just a little warning, if, when you get there, they offer to upgrade you to consierge (sp??) then think twice about it. If I understand it correctly then very few of the consierge rooms have a savannah view room.

WWallaceII

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip Philo!

Good luck with your planning for your wedding, keep us updated how you are doing and get on!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom