Animal kingdom expansion! In need of ideas

itsy bitsy spider

I think Raya sucked, it is one of those movies you see and you say "I'm never going to see that again." I'd rather them go with something else, an UnDisney Animated IP. Like DisneySea did with Journey, 20,000 Leagues and Sinbad.

MickeyMouse10

africa 4.jpg

moteefe.png

This is probably one of the most important lands in the park. And it seems to be where AK gets most of it’s overall theming from. It has both great restaurants and shows, but one thing that it lacks in though is rides. So I went with the two movies I think of when I think of Disney and Africa and that is Lion King and Tarzan. I’d like to say a BIG thanks to J4546 for the latter attraction idea.

MV5BMTMyNjg0MzQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU2NTI3Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Lion King
----- (dark ride, similar to winnie the pooh)

----- (Young Simba, The ride starts with young simba talking to zazu about growing up. Zazu is trying to teach him, but simba is still too young and stubborn to hear it. “I just can’t wait to be king”. Then his evil uncle scar is shown in the shadows watching him among the elephant graveyard. His jealousy for his nephew boils over. He sings his own solo now with “be prepared”. As he plots his brothers demise as his hyena cronies watch on. Mufasa’s death is hinted at. As a herd of wildebeast are shown running and scars’ voice overhead booms telling Simba to runaway.

----- (Grownup Simba, In the next scene Simba is sad, crying about what he just witnessed. that is until Timon and Pumba show up and teach him about Hakuna Matata. Thanks to this lesson he manages to forgets his sorrow. Eventually the ride comes to a close with adult Simba defeating his uncle and saving the pride land. The song “circle of life” plays as simba is shown on pride rock with his young cub.)

1180w-600h_061819_tarzan-20th-anniversary.jpg

Tarzan
----- (inverted coaster, similar to arthur in europa)
----- (Located near the right entrance to the Africa are. This type of attraction would lend itself to the story of Tarzan. Because the hunky jungle man loves swinging through the jungle. The attraction would give the feeling that we are Tarzan swinging through the jungle. Various scenes from the film will showcase the animals both good and bad. Thanks have to go out to J4546 for this one. They had the great idea of using the inverted coaster idea for A Bugs Land.)

MickeyMouse10

wilderness.jpg

camp-fire-regular.png

This land would be what Camp Minnie Mickey should have been. Characters from the movie UP (especially Russell) will be throughout the forested area. Equally important the land will showcase forest animals (Bears, Deers, Wolves, etc) from American and Canadian forests.

wilderness 2.jpg

UP: Russell and the Search for the Lost Badge
----- (dark ride, similar to classic dark rides and living with the land)
----- (Russell and Dug search the wilderness to find different animals. Finding each one will get them a secret badge. During the ride Dug will tell people about each of the animals they come across.)

dug and russell version 2.png

UP: Dug and Russell and their Forest Friends
----- (animal show, similar to up: a great bird adventure and pocahontas’ show)
----- (Trained bears and other wilderness animals are presented in this show. Of course they would use mostly critters that wouldn’t eat the host. I'm guessing Disney wouldn't want that to happen.)

carl, russell, doug.png

Great Wilderness Explorations
----- (flight simulator, similar to soarin)
----- (Our narrators Carl and Russell take us over the wilderness, where we see various animals in their natural habitat. It is very similar to Soarin, but with a wilderness and mountain theme.)

Walking trails
=== (There will be rocky areas that look like you are in the mountains. With waterfalls and creeks, this is where you can see forest animals like Bears and Wolves.)

DSC02536-d@d.jpg

Campfire Treats
----- (Three walkups that resemble cabins you'd find deep in the forest. Each which would serve different things like ice cream, hot dogs, hamburgers and camping treats. Smores snacks would definitely be on a few of the menus.)

Whispering Pines
----- (Quick Service, with a camping themed mess hall. It has different rooms themed to different forest activities and animals. Like one is themed to fishing and the different fish you can catch)

Last edited:

The Great Gonzo

Sure Raya wasn't that good, but I think it would make a better ride than a movie.

I don't think it deserves an attraction. There's a lot movies that are in the vault that haven't even seen the light of day. And they're eons better than heartless Raya. I don't care if Awkwafina made me laugh so much Diet Pepsi squirted out of my nose. It just doesn't make the cut. There's loads of underrated movies like Emperor's New Groove that left me feeling more entertained.

MickeyMouse10

I can understand where you're coming from, but some of the best attractions aren't based on IP's. Thus even if one is based on a subpar one it can still be a classic. It all really depends on the experience whether it sucks or not.

Frankenstein79

I'd be alright with Raya, Animal Kingdom needs something else. Right now it doesn't have enough to keep me interested. It's got the corners covered, but not much else.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I wrote this in another thread, with the aim of a more realistic park expansion plan, so I thought I would drop it here! 😃

Animal Kingdom needs new rides more than any other park at WDW. Still, given how infinitely superior Indiana Jones Adventure is to Dinosaur, I wouldn't necessarily be against a complete gutting of the attraction remade to be on par with its west coast counterpart as a more modern take with a dinosaur element.

Dinoland should then be rethemed to South America like has been repeated on the forums for years. Creating what's basically an Indiana Jones mini-land, from the boneyard to Dinosaur, would be a noticeable quality upgrade as well.

For the disastrous Chester and Hester's area, cloning the masterpiece that is Mystic Manor with an altered story to fit the new South America locale would give the park a major indoor family ride which it is in desperate need of. I guess you could get TriceraTop Spin to fit better by making it more like the Moana concept art, and I wouldn't necessarily want to get rid of it for capacity's sake, but perhaps move it if possible.

Scatter some South American animal exhibits like caimans, piranhas, and jaguars, and put rockwork blocking sightlines of the Theater in the Wild (Nemo) with a new elaborately themed entry Doing so, with a new South America appropriate show (Encanto, well-done, would fit better than Nemo and be popular), and the land is stacked.

It would probably only cost half as much as Galaxy's Edge too since it would repurpose much of the land like Hogsmeade at Islands of Adventure did. I bet Disney is looking to expand Pandora, so if the plan is to put, let's speculate, an indoor coaster over there, an excavator coaster for Dinoland to me falls by the wayside in favor of a family-friendly, relatively inexpensive, E-ticket like Mystic Manor, which is phenomenal I might add.

Seriously, imagine if Animal Kingdom got an E-ticket Pandora Coaster ($300M+), an E-ticket Mystic Manor variation that ties in better to Animal Kingdom’s themes ($165M), a Retheme of Dinosaur to Indiana Jones Adventure with a dinosaur story bringing it from just an okay E-ticket to a headliner ($100M), and even toss in a small ride like Tokyo DisneySea's Aquatopia trackless flat-ride (~$45M) by 2030. Animal Kingdom would easily be the best Disney park in Orlando for all sorts of guests.

The land's overhaul itself could include upgrading facades, new pathways, new animal exhibits, let's say a clone of Hong Kong's excellent Explorer's Club Restaurant, a bar like Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar at Disney Springs, and some shops with a consistent design language. Altogether, it would probably cost under $200M on top of the ride costs and add massive capacity to the park.

All of this would fit SO much better than Zootopia. I'm honestly baffled Indy hasn't found his way into the park as it's one of the only huge IPs that would fit perfectly if it has an edutainment angle and design language to fit as Pandora did. I would be even happier if he made his way to Hollywood Studios in a purpose-built land, but honestly, I'd prefer to keep Animal Kingdom thematically pure, and I think it's one of the only large IPs that would be able to. Here's to hoping Indiana Jones 5 is excellent and extremely successful!

Moana isn't necessarily an awful fit either, I just have more of a problem with Zootopia specifically and the hodgepodge nature of them residing alongside one another. If they themed the entire land to Oceania and modified Dinosaur to fit that and scratched Zootopia, it could work, and would also be an improvement. However, I'm in the camp that thinks Animal Kingdom needs more indoor rides given Orlando's preponderance for summer showers alongside at least one more non-height requirement attraction which a Moana log flume would likely have two strikes on that front. If Disney is dead set on a Zootopia ride, it should go to Hollywood Studios.

Alternatively, just setting Dinoland to be like you're walking in a place from millions of years ago so you're actually visiting the Cretaceous would also be cool and would be my personal first choice, though we obviously know that isn't going to happen. Jurassic Park shouldn't have exclusive rights to dinosaurs in movies or theme parks.

CookieMouse

Original Poster
tbh, i always wanted a gravity falls land in animal kingdom though that will never ever happen. a vekoma madhouse in the asia section or something as well, omnimover would be great for animal kingdom. im partial to a jungle book attraction. and of course something needs to be done with the massive plot of land in the back behind kali, and i dont really think a extended rapids would cut it. make a south america land, could even put in a rio ride if you wanted. heck, maybe even encanto?

Brer Panther

I don't think Gravity Falls would fit in Animal Kingdom. It's not about animals, and it doesn't even have the "but there's an ecological message!" excuse that people are using for Moana.

Stumpos

I don't think Gravity Falls would fit in Animal Kingdom. It's not about animals, and it doesn't even have the "but there's an ecological message!" excuse that people are using for Moana.
What about Amphibia? Could that fit in Animal Kingdom, considering frogs, toads, and newts are pretty much everywhere on the show?

Or what about TailSpin? That could also fit well in Animal Kingdom, especially considering it's based on the Jungle Book IP so it's not like people won't know who Baloo and Shere Khan are.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What about a competitor to the S.E.A. organization that they keep trying to get people to believe in ? We can call it P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Brer Panther

What about Amphibia? Could that fit in Animal Kingdom, considering frogs, toads, and newts are pretty much everywhere on the show?

Or what about TailSpin? That could also fit well in Animal Kingdom, especially considering it's based on the Jungle Book IP so it's not like people won't know who Baloo and Shere Khan are.
Amphibia, perhaps. TaleSpin, I suppose so, but I feel like an actual Jungle Book attraction would make more sense.

Miru

To be fair, Indiana Jones isn’t about animals either, yet people are suggesting that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom