Animal kingdom available on dvc but not Disney

ELG13

Original Poster
I was looking to possibly rent dvc points for a trip next year (Aug/Sept). I wanted to compare prices but when I go to look on the Disney website, it says AK is not available. I know all resorts are not open due to covid but with the dvc not being refundable, is there a plan in place if it's not reopened by our dates? Or are dvc rooms open at all resorts already? I'm sorry if this is a silly question...I haven't been following all the dvc stuff and really haven't been following resort openings next because we always stay at ft wilderness cabins and campgrounds so since they are open I've not been interested in other places 😁 I just want to stay somewhere new for a shorter trip and AK seemed like a good and affordable place to start with dvc!! Thanks!

correcaminos

Only the DVC portion of AKL is open. I do not recall seeing an opening date suggestion for the remainder of the resort. As it is, only the pool is open at Jambo. Everything else is done at Kidani. Anyone who was moved from a resort not open was offered a different location. In many cases a DVC room.

All WDW DVC rooms are open at this time. Refunds for renting are dependent on who you rent from.

ELG13

Original Poster
Only the DVC portion of AKL is open. I do not recall seeing an opening date suggestion for the remainder of the resort. As it is, only the pool is open at Jambo. Everything else is done at Kidani. Anyone who was moved from a resort not open was offered a different location. In many cases a DVC room.

All WDW DVC rooms are open at this time. Refunds for renting are dependent on who you rent from.
Ok good to know!! I wouldn't need a refund if the rooms are open. That was my worry that they wouldn't be open (before I was aware they already were) and then I'd be out money.

correcaminos

Ok good to know!! I wouldn't need a refund if the rooms are open. That was my worry that they wouldn't be open (before I was aware they already were) and then I'd be out money.
Unless everything completely shuts down, that aspect shouldn't be a concern at least.

cmwade77

I was looking to possibly rent dvc points for a trip next year (Aug/Sept). I wanted to compare prices but when I go to look on the Disney website, it says AK is not available. I know all resorts are not open due to covid but with the dvc not being refundable, is there a plan in place if it's not reopened by our dates? Or are dvc rooms open at all resorts already? I'm sorry if this is a silly question...I haven't been following all the dvc stuff and really haven't been following resort openings next because we always stay at ft wilderness cabins and campgrounds so since they are open I've not been interested in other places 😁 I just want to stay somewhere new for a shorter trip and AK seemed like a good and affordable place to start with dvc!! Thanks!
You get your points back with DVC up to 30 days in advance with no issues, after that it begins getting a little more complicated, but it isn't nonrefundable.

ELG13

Original Poster
You get your points back with DVC up to 30 days in advance with no issues, after that it begins getting a little more complicated, but it isn't nonrefundable.
Oh I thought it was when I looked on David's! Not gonna lie, when I read the fine print it was a few years ago.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Oh I thought it was when I looked on David's! Not gonna lie, when I read the fine print it was a few years ago.
Point rental through David’s....or any points broker....is NONREFUNDABLE. When points are found for your dates, you pay IN FULL the moment you book. Should you cancel, you will lose your money unless you purchased trip insurance.
(I believe @cmwade77 thought you were a DVC points owner, not a renter.)

Those who booked through David’s and had trips canceled during the shutdown were issued a one-time credit for a future stay ~ but that was only due to the unprecedented circumstances.

ELG13

Original Poster
Point rental through David’s....or any points broker....is NONREFUNDABLE. When points are found for your dates, you pay IN FULL the moment you book. Should you cancel, you will lose your money unless you purchased trip insurance.
(I believe @cmwade77 thought you were a DVC points owner, not a renter.)

Those who booked through David’s and had trips canceled during the shutdown were issued a one-time credit for a future stay ~ but that was only due to the unprecedented circumstances.
Ok good to know!! Like I said I wouldn't be cancelling it unless they made me cancel lol. I've cancelled enough disney trips to last a lifetime.

correcaminos

You're thinking owner, not rental. Very few private renters refund and no commerical I know refunds cash to those renting the points.

ToTBellHop

Ok good to know!! Like I said I wouldn't be cancelling it unless they made me cancel lol. I've cancelled enough disney trips to last a lifetime.
There would need to be an accommodation by Disney if they for some reason couldn't provide a room your booked with points.

nickys

Premium Member
There would need to be an accommodation by Disney if they for some reason couldn't provide a room your booked with points.
Well yes and no. DVC did what they could, Disney have no role to play in this.

People who had booked a room with banked points that expired before the resorts re-opened lost those points. DVC were unable to do anything about that - they are bound by timeshare laws.

Those who had used in-banked points that then expired during closure got an extension of up to 6 months, but only up to the end of November. In practice they got developer points from Riviera but some only got them on Oct 1st so not a lot of time to book anything.

So not everyone got their points back or were able to use them. And many owners were left trying to rent out points or reservations and they won’t all be successful.

ToTBellHop

Well yes and no. DVC did what they could, Disney have no role to play in this.

People who had booked a room with banked points that expired before the resorts re-opened lost those points. DVC were unable to do anything about that - they are bound by timeshare laws.

Those who had used in-banked points that then expired during closure got an extension of up to 6 months, but only up to the end of November. In practice they got developer points from Riviera but some only got them on Oct 1st so not a lot of time to book anything.

So not everyone got their points back or were able to use them. And many owners were left trying to rent out points or reservations and they won’t all be successful.
It sounded to me like the OP was worried that for a future visit, Disney would choose to not provide a room she booked. That would not happen. If there were a flood and no other room available at the resort, they’d move you elsewhere. You’re not left SOL.

nickys

Premium Member
It sounded to me like the OP was worried that for a future visit, Disney would choose to not provide a room she booked. That would not happen. If there were a flood and no other room available at the resort, they’d move you elsewhere. You’re not left SOL.
If she booked on rented points the position isn’t as clear cut. The chances are that DVC would move existing reservations. However that would be done through the owner. If all they had left was GFV, I don’t know that move would be “free”, they might offer the owner a chance to use extra points or cancel.

Honestly I don’t know what would happen. Obviously at the start of re-opening they did move those booked at Jambo to Kidani, but if the issue arose during Fall Frenzy there might not be a lot of rooms left. So OP could in theory be left without a room, although I would hope not out of pocket.

Either way, Disney is not responsible. It would be DVC trying to resolve it and the OP would have no say. It would the owner’s decision whether to accept the offer or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom