Animal Kindom Hours

Zip-a-De-Who-Ha

Original Poster
I have to say it is very dissapointing to see that the Animal Kingdom closes at 5 everyday now.

I love to visit parks in the early evening, expecallaly a hot park like AK. Why the early close? I can see 7 or even 6 but 5 is TOO EARLY. They are losing $ from those who whould buy dinner but instead just leave the park to eat.

Whouldnt they make more money by keeping the park open till 7 or 8 than they do closing it at such a rediculously early hour:veryconfu

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Zip-a-De-Who-Ha
I have to say it is very dissapointing to see that the Animal Kingdom closes at 5 everyday now.

I love to visit parks in the early evening, expecallaly a hot park like AK. Why the early close? I can see 7 or even 6 but 5 is TOO EARLY. They are losing $ from those who whould buy dinner but instead just leave the park to eat.

Whouldnt they make more money by keeping the park open till 7 or 8 than they do closing it at such a rediculously early hour:veryconfu

I believe they have extended the hours to 6 in the upcoming weeks.

Shaman

Originally posted by Zip-a-De-Who-Ha
I love to visit parks in the early evening, expecallaly a hot park like AK. Why the early close?

If I am not mistaken I believe that they close AK before sunset usually 5pm or 6pm, depending the time of the year because of the animals at the park (don't ask me why, I just know it has something to do with the animals). Also, a couple of times I've visted AK in the summer and the park has remained open for an extra hour, but I don't recall why, I just remember the bus driver telling us so.

I believe they have experimented with keeping parts of the park open after hours...like special annual passholder events (like when they opened Dino-Rama). But I think that the problem is that some paths are too dark and dangerous for guest at night.

In the future I too hope that this park remains open until a little later, but for now I guess we will have settle for an early departure. Anyway thats just what I think.:lookaroun

Dann Hazel

Last December...

...DAK was open until 8:00 p.m. at the end of the month leading up to New Year's Eve. The park is quite beautiful at night, with the subdued lighting providing at least as much illumination as the lights at Magic Kingdom.

I'm hoping that, with the opening of Expedition Everest, we'll see expanded hours for sections of the park. Most of the larger animals anyway spend the nights backstage, so I doubt guest presence would disturb most of them. Besides, with the bridge connecting DinoLand and Asia (where Expedition Everest will be located), Disney can easily regulate where guests will spend their time, if the company doesn't want us wandering into Harambe, for example.

Dann

Animal Kingdom always closes at 5 pm. The hours are extended until 6 pm during the busy seasons. They just extended the hours for the rest of June beginning next week. I'm sure they will stay that way for the rest of the summer.

Daannzzz

I know there are rumors or reports that Disney says they close AK because of the animals. It can't be because of the animals. The Animal Kingdom Lodge doesn't close down the savannas at 5:00 or 6:00!!!

RozFan

AK closes early due to low attendance levels and to save operations costs. When in the design/construction stages AK was intended to stay open at late as all other Disney parks. The animal line is just a excuse that Disney uses and works well because it is believable.

Poncho1973

Originally posted by Mary Poppins
Animal Kingdom always closes at 5 pm. The hours are extended until 6 pm during the busy seasons. They just extended the hours for the rest of June beginning next week. I'm sure they will stay that way for the rest of the summer.

That's not exactly a DEAD HARD FACT. Although most of the time it's true. I've seen hours of 7pm and 8pm as well.

surfsupdon

The Six Flags Wild Animal Drive Thru Safari closes early too, by 5 usually, and they blame it on the animals, while the theme park itself stays open till 10 or 11 and the water park till 8.

Blaming it on the animals must be a legitimate excuse.

Poncho1973

Originally posted by surfsupdon
The Six Flags Wild Animal Drive Thru Safari closes early too, by 5 usually, and they blame it on the animals, while the theme park itself stays open till 10 or 11 and the water park till 8.

Blaming it on the animals must be a legitimate excuse.

Stupid animals! Can we find anything else to blame on them?

:drevil:

Originally posted by Poncho1973
That's not exactly a DEAD HARD FACT. Although most of the time it's true. I've seen hours of 7pm and 8pm as well.

Perhaps they have extended hours during Christmas when all of the parks reach capacity but in all my years working there I've never known the hours to be posted as open until 8 pm. Besides, with no shows, no safari, no character greetings, all you could really do is shop, eat dinner, or go on a ride or two.

Dann Hazel

Okay, here's proof

If you go to the following URL, you'll find a few shots taken of DAK after dark. These pics were taken in December after sunset, when the park was open until 8:00 p.m.

I also believe that during the park's first year, it was pretty standard for DAK to be open until 7 or 8 p.m.

http://www.arondaparks.com/Trip Report December 29 02 p 1.htm

During the peak Christmas season, closing was *posted* as 8:00 p.m.

While Mary Poppins is correct--there isn't a lot to do after dark--the park has a wonderful atmosphere, even if you're able to take in mostly DinoLand stuff.

Dann

WDW John

Originally posted by Daannzzz
The Animal Kingdom Lodge doesn't close down the savannas at 5:00 or 6:00!!!

That's true, the animals in the savannah are only "gone" for 1-2 hours A DAY (and it's usually in the wee hours of the AM). That is so AKL guests can see them at all times of the day or night.

I wonder, though, are the animals at AKL rotated out through the day? Maybe the animals "work" in shifts since fewer are needed, but over at AK more are out at one time but for the whole day.

I don't know, just a thought.

Scooter

I remember when Animal Kingdom opened at 8:00AM.

We used to run to do Kilimanjaro Safaris first thing in the morning because you could see more animals when it was cooler.

Now that they doesn't open until 9:00, and the sun is higher and it's warmer, there aren't as many of the animals out in the open.

I would rather they kept the early opening time and closed an hour earlier.

:(

AdLibSean

I've always wanted to experience DAK after dark, but unfortunately- there's no big show or event in the evening to keep us there. (NOT that there should be- just saying when you have limited time- you try and take in as many SpectroMagic's and Reflections of Earth's as you possibly can) Hopefully one day, we'll have the chance to relax at sunset at AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom