Anika Noni Rose is a Disney Legend?

216bruce

IMO the "Legend" awards should go to individuals who have made multiple contributions to the company over many years of service. Giving it to someone after one movie, two years later, diminishes its value.
I see where you would say that and I "get" the spirit of it but using that as a criteria would really thin the herd of Disney Legends. Just about all of the 'voice' people like Adrianna Caselotti (Snow White) and just about all the Princesses would be out as would someone like Guy Williams (Zorro) who was big for a year or two and only played one role. I can't envision 'Disney' as it stands without them. My opinion of criteria for Disney Legend status is kind of like what Louis Armstrong said the definition of jazz is: 'If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know". So, yeah, a Disney Legend just feels like a Disney Legend. I think if you have one Princess voice in, you need to include them all. Zorro, feels like a legend. Regis, umm, amazingly long career and definitely a broadcast legend. Disney Legend? I don't know.
I'm looking forward to this years class, which should be announced fairly soon, and being at the Expo for the ceremony. I went in 2011 and it was great.

Animaniac93-98

I see where you would say that and I "get" the spirit of it but using that as a criteria would really thin the herd of Disney Legends. Just about all of the 'voice' people like Adrianna Caselotti (Snow White) and just about all the Princesses would be out as would someone like Guy Williams (Zorro) who was big for a year or two and only played one role. I can't envision 'Disney' as it stands without them.

Guy Williams was also in other projects for Disney like The Prince and the Pauper on WWoC, but I think doing a show that ran over 70 episodes (plus 4 episodes of Walt Disney Presents) is somewhat more substantial than one feature. Snow White is also a classic thanks to decades of popularity, which elevates the importance of the role, unlike PatF which is young and for all we known could be in the forgotten pile with Oliver and Company 30 years from now (or not, but that's always a possibility).

I still stand by what you say, but respect that you may disagree.

216bruce

Guy Williams was also in other projects for Disney like The Prince and the Pauper on WWoC, but I think doing a show that ran over 70 episodes (plus 4 episodes of Walt Disney Presents) is somewhat more substantial than one feature. Snow White is also a classic thanks to decades of popularity, which elevates the importance of the role, unlike PatF which is young and for all we known could be in the forgotten pile with Oliver and Company 30 years from now (or not, but that's always a possibility).

I still stand by what you say, but respect that you may disagree.

Ok, then do Jodi Benson, Lea Salonga, Paige O'Hara, Linda Larkin belong? Apart from a short amount of time there really isn't any difference. You need to recognize the Disney Princesses in some way and to a lot of Disney fans, like my adult daughter, the princesses were the gateway into Disney as a whole. The animators are in for the most part, why not the voices? For that matter, why not Mandy Moore or Amy Adams? Kelly McDonald? For all intents and purposes the voice is VERY much the character especially when the voice actors characteristics are used by the animators in some instances. If one is in, they all should be. All the past princess voices are in from what I can tell dating back to Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora.
I think it was a recognition of The Disney Princesses as a group and not the individual. Hope they are able to add the rest at some point too.

lazyboy97o

Maybe giving the Princesses the award can be a given, but it should be after so many years. Should Mandy Moore and Kelly Macdonald get one this year? Do we then assume Kristen Bell to get one in the next round of inductions?

Magenta Panther

Well, she deserves the honor more than Jim Henson. What the heck did he do but sell his characters to the company, who don't need them anyway?

I supposed Stan Lee and George Lucas will be called "Disney Legends" next. :p

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Here's one that bothers me. I can't find Tom Hanks on the Disney Legends list. Tell me I'm missing him! Tim Allen is in for Buzz but not Tom for Woody? hopefully after playing Walt this year he will finally get in.

Also no modern guys voices - Where's Aladdin's voice? Not famous enough? Simba's voice etc? All those Pixar Guys? One could argue Lighting MCQueen and Mater are bigger then Tiana.

juniorthomas

Original Poster
Well, she deserves the honor more than Jim Henson. What the heck did he do but sell his characters to the company, who don't need them anyway?

I supposed Stan Lee and George Lucas will be called "Disney Legends" next. :p

To be completely clear, Jim Henson was not alive when the Muppets were finally sold to Disney.

However, his creations were eventually purchased by Disney (14 years after his death), and have for a long time entertained a lot of people. Perhaps even to a larger extent than PATF.

Magenta Panther

To be completely clear, Jim Henson was not alive when the Muppets were finally sold to Disney.

However, his creations were eventually purchased by Disney (14 years after his death), and have for a long time entertained a lot of people. Perhaps even to a larger extent than PATF.

But what about that makes Henson a Disney Legend? Disney had no hand (pun intended) in the Muppets' success, and the Muppets have certainly done nothing to add to Disney's success. It'd make more sense to give the honor to people like P.L. Travers, or A. A. Milne, or Carlo Collodi, or Sir James Barrie, people whose works were adapted and, in many cases, plussed by Disney and became part of the Disney creative legacy. Just sayin'.

lazyboy97o

Here's one that bothers me. I can't find Tom Hanks on the Disney Legends list. Tell me I'm missing him! Tim Allen is in for Buzz but not Tom for Woody? hopefully after playing Walt this year he will finally get in.
Tim Allen did more than Buzz Lightyear. Just off the top of my head: Home Improvement was made by Touchstone Television (making it part of Disney before the purchase of ABC), The Santa Clause trilogy, The gy Dog remake and Wild Hogs.

juniorthomas

Original Poster
But what about that makes Henson a Disney Legend? Disney had no hand (pun intended) in the Muppets' success, and the Muppets have certainly done nothing to add to Disney's success. It'd make more sense to give the honor to people like P.L. Travers, or A. A. Milne, or Carlo Collodi, or Sir James Barrie, people whose works were adapted and, in many cases, plussed by Disney and became part of the Disney creative legacy. Just sayin'.

You could argue that the Disney/Muppet partnership (which started in earnest in the early nineties) has done exactly that. It's on par with Milne and Barrie/Great Ormond Street Hospital in that they've worked with someone else's IP to make a fun experience at a DisneyPark or in a Disney released film, etc.

I think they could resolve this by having Disney Legend levels - so some people, like the Nine Old Men, would have Platinum Status, and then those who maybe didn't make as significant of a contribution (as those who, say, basically built the company), would get something like Gold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom