Anaheim Resort Mobility Plan – Key Recommendations document

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, before I share the link, let me set this up.

Someone looking for dirt did a Freedom of Information Act on the Mayor's Files. This person also discovered I received a few free tickets to use the Honda Center and Angel Stadium city suite. Tried to make a big deal of it, but it fell flat. I qualified for them under the city's guidelines, and Dr. Moreno also getting the same benefit, made the matter moot.

Anyways, so he finds a document prepared before COVID hit, looking at some possible options for the city.

The plan is currently on the back burner, and if it comes back, all it is, is a starting point for a discussion as what parts are good, bad, have a reasonable cost, or eligible for state/federal grants, etc.

The proposed extension of Gene Autry Way through the middle of the Toy Story Lot is shown.

Have fun!

Communicora

Premium Member

Someone looking for dirt did a Freedom of Information Act on the Mayor's Files. This person also discovered I received a few free tickets to use the Honda Center and Angel Stadium city suite. Tried to make a big deal of it, but it fell flat. I qualified for them under the city's guidelines, and Dr. Moreno also getting the same benefit, made the matter moot.

Anyways, so he finds a document prepared before COVID hit, looking at some possible options for the city.

The plan is currently on the back burner, and if it comes back, all it is, is a starting point for a discussion as what parts are good, bad, have a reasonable cost, or eligible for state/federal grants, etc.

The proposed extension of Gene Autry Way through the middle of the Toy Story Lot is shown.

Have fun!

An express gondola you say? It certainly would be something to have a skyliner in Anaheim.

britain

It would be quite a pleasant way to get to the resort area, but if I'm reading it correctly, there's a bunch of powerlines right there on Disney Way! Time to put them underground, @Darkbeer1 ?

Stevek

A gondola would be cool but I'm not sure if I'd use it. Using one through Disney controlled property in Orlando is one thing but flying over the 57, 5 and other random areas through Anaheim...hmmm.

Looks as if the proposed north path would take it very close if not right next to Company D...anyone want to get me into the store BTW?

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
A gondola would be cool but I'm not sure if I'd use it. Using one through Disney controlled property in Orlando is one thing but flying over the 57, 5 and other random areas through Anaheim...hmmm.

Looks as if the proposed north path would take it very close if not right next to Company D...anyone want to get me into the store BTW?
Looks like maybe they could go under the 57 where the rail lines are at (though it'd be pretty low), and Gene Autry goes over the 5 instead of under, but the crossing of the 5 at Disney Way might pose a challenge. And yeah, there are a lot of power lines that would need to be considered. Not just on Disney Way (perhaps the gondolas go down the middle?), but along Haster where Gene Autry meets it has some pretty tall lines too.

I personally wouldn't have use of this since I don't enter or exit the city via ARTIC, but I'd almost prefer to see a monorail rather than gondolas. They can travel much faster and potentially have a smaller footprint...especially if you looped it around instead of having two branching lines. Then you'd only need one track.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like maybe they could go under the 57 where the rail lines are at (though it'd be pretty low), and Gene Autry goes over the 5 instead of under, but the crossing of the 5 at Disney Way might pose a challenge. And yeah, there are a lot of power lines that would need to be considered. Not just on Disney Way (perhaps the gondolas go down the middle?), but along Haster where Gene Autry meets it has some pretty tall lines too.

I personally wouldn't have use of this since I don't enter or exit the city via ARTIC, but I'd almost prefer to see a monorail rather than gondolas. They can travel much faster and potentially have a smaller footprint...especially if you looped it around instead of having two branching lines. Then you'd only need one track.

Making a monorail track seismically stable is expensive, but also just like Gondolas there's the issue of evacuation.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Don't forget, Anaheim is a host city for the 2028 Olympics. A lot of this is designed to be finished by then. Many expect that Metrolink trains will be running every 30 minutes from LA to bring fans to/from the other venues. The Hotels plan to promote "Stay in Anaheim" during the Olympics, and the trains are a selling point, no need to rent a car!

britain

Don't forget, Anaheim is a host city for the 2028 Olympics. A lot of this is designed to be finished by then. Many expect that Metrolink trains will be running every 30 minutes from LA to bring fans to/from the other venues. The Hotels plan to promote "Stay in Anaheim" during the Olympics, and the trains are a selling point, no need to rent a car!

If only there were some other way to move people around...

2028? Just hop in an Apple Car and tell it where you want to be dropped off!

CaptinEO

First team to eat at Captain Kidds will end up sitting out the whole Olympics due to food poisoning.

TP2000

Have fun!

Well, that's very interesting. A few thoughts off the top of my head after perusing this...

• Gene Autry Way. :rolleyes: While I don't like the longterm implications of that option (bisecting the Toy Story Lot), it's good to know this road option hasn't died. The last official planning document I'd seen with that roadway option is about 15 years old at this point in 2021, so it's nice to know that Anaheim's planning department hasn't forgotten. Although, again, I don't think it's the right decision for the longterm health of the Anaheim Resort District and its theme park future.
  • An aerial gondola?!? Nothing says Olympic Host City Waste like an aerial gondola! I can't think of a more gimmicky and inefficient way to move people around a flat urban area than a gondola system. Are they serious? Or does Anaheim City Hall just want something to be used for 3 weeks in the summer of '28 and then decay into a rusted hulk of forgotten waste?

5a78be6fe21c111e008b463e

Ismael Flores

Well, that's very interesting. A few thoughts off the top of my head after perusing this...

• Gene Autry Way. :rolleyes: While I don't like the longterm implications of that option (bisecting the Toy Story Lot), it's good to know this road option hasn't died. The last official planning document I'd seen with that roadway option is about 15 years old at this point in 2021, so it's nice to know that Anaheim's planning department hasn't forgotten. Although, again, I don't think it's the right decision for the longterm health of the Anaheim Resort District and its theme park future.
  • An aerial gondola?!? Nothing says Olympic Host City Waste like an aerial gondola! I can't think of a more gimmicky and inefficient way to move people around a flat urban area than a gondola system. Are they serious? Or does Anaheim City Hall just want something to be used for 3 weeks in the summer of '28 and then decay into a rusted hulk of forgotten waste?

5a78be6fe21c111e008b463e
i kind of like the Gondola idea if done right, Gondolas have done wonders in some cities around the world. The most impressive connection of Gondola system that i actually enjoyed using was the one in La Paz, Bolivia.
When i was last there they had 3 lines that cut thru the city and what a difference it made to get from one end to the other without being stuck in Urban traffic.

Of course La Paz is a city built inside a big bowl that makes driving thru the city quite interesting and the system they use made quite a difference in cutting travel time.

Anaheim might not be the ideal place for a system like this and might make little difference in traffic control.
1024px-Seilbahnnetz_La_Paz.svg.png

Last edited:

truecoat

i kind of like the Gondola idea if done right, Gondolas have done wonders in some cities around the world. The most impressive connection of Gondola system that i actually enjoyed using was the one in La Paz, Bolivia.
When i was last there they had 3 lines that cut thru the city and what a difference it made to get from one end to the other without being stuck in Urban traffic.

Of course La Paz is a city built inside a big bowl that makes driving thru the city quite interesting and the system they use doesn't just travel a couple miles.

Plus you could move a lot of Disney employees or convention center guests who park at the Angel stadium parking lot on busy days to the resort or convention center quicker than a bus barring any covid restrictions.

DanielBB8

Plus you could move a lot of Disney employees or convention center guests who park at the Angel stadium parking lot on busy days to the resort or convention center quicker than a bus barring any covid restrictions.
Aside from game or big events, there's no reason to visit the Anaheim Stadium and Convention Center. There will always be a gap between these tourist spots. The technology is almost here, but self driving trams should be the future. This will solve the immediate problem of guests that desire to hop to Disneyland or Convention Center after a game or show at Anaheim Stadium or Honda Center; however, if you have a car, you can't leave it there so it's still highly unlikely most will use mass transit. In fact, drivers will just drive to their destination.
Parking will continue to be a problem for Disney employees though. The busses is their only option and it's Disney's problem.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Parking will be limited once they start construction. I haven’t been to the Honda Center in a month but I did believe I saw a permit posted in front of the arena for the construction of OCVibe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom