Amtrak Anyone?

yensid67

We are PLANNING on taking the Amtrak from Martinsburg, WV to Kissimmee FL via Washington DC...We have NEVER been on an Amtrak before so we don't know what to expect. I just wanted to put some feelers out for any advice on this adventure! We will have 2 coach seats, are they comfortable? The ride TO Kissimmee WILL NOT have a dining car, so we plan to eat once we get to DC before boarding the next train! I have heard that the Café and Dining car foods are OK, but expensive! Any reviews? I am planning to take some food and drink with us on the train to get us through the night any ideas of how to store them and what to take? On our return to DC we will have a 9 hour lay over until our train leaves for Martinsburg...any suggestions on what we should do? We have talked about walking to the National Mall since its only a few blocks away from the station and going to a few museums! Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

jimbojones

Long distance on Amtrak is awesome but I have only done it with a roomette or family bedroom which included a meal in the dining car . I have traveled coach and business class for intercity rides though. For me it feels very relaxing to travel by train. I have also found that Amtrak staff are generally friendly and seem to enjoy their jobs which adds to the experience similar to cast members at WDW. The coach seats are comparable to business or first class seats on an airline and you have lots of space. I'd suggest packing some snacks in a backpack but the lounges are fun and social in my experience. I fly a bunch for work and when you need to get someplace fast a plane is the way to go but if you have the time the train is a far nicer experience. You can show up 20 minutes before you leave and just walk on with minimal hassle. That also means that your layover in DC is much more useful than if you fly, a 9 hour layover flying sucks becuase you really are stuck in the airport for 9 hours, on Amtrak the station is downtown so you can walk out and Uber or walk around DC for several hours and have no problem getting back for the next train.

I would however suggest looking into a roomette if you can swing it. Being able to sleep on a flat bed is great and roomette passengers are considered first class which brings extra perks and service. Also don't forget that tips are the norm for the attendants on the train in the US.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
[QUOTE=" Also don't forget that tips are the norm for the attendants on the train in the US.[/QUOTE]
Please describe what is the 'norm' for tips and who should we tip? Every Amtrak employee we come into contact with...I hope not! How much should we tip? $2 for long distance, $1 for short distance? I guess its similar to tipping Mousekeeping!? Thanks for you response...seems like you are the only one that has taken Amtrak! LOL

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Thanks TiggerDad for your DC info....was wondering about that too! Our train gets in around 7am...most likely we will store our luggage, and then find a nice place to have breakfast and then head off to the museums and National Mall.

Upvote 0

Rinx

Is the train you're taking called the Silver Meteor? I often see that train posted at NYPenn Station. Always hours delayed...

Many long distance Amtrak trains run very late due to the use of CSX track for a lot of the journey. I don't feel as though you will have much of that 9 hours to play with. I have taken the AutoTrain from Lorton, VA twice and had great experiences on both. It is more expensive because of your car but you will have the freedom of your car while on property. Also, the coaches are double-deck streamliners with tons of leg room. The seats recline and have leg rests that come up so you're close to laying down. And that's coach-class. Dinner and breakfast are included and served in the dining car along with free wine. There's also a cafe car and movie screen. Plenty to keep busy and comfy during the 17 hour trip.

Upvote 0

Ms.Sunshine

I've taken Amtrak from New York to Florida twice, and other places many times . It can be fun it with the right planning. For me the coach seats were comfy enough, with a small blanket and pillow for sleeping/resting. I would take a soft sided cooler with food (snacks, sandwiches, fruits, water), as the dining car can get pricey, and depending where you're seated you may have to go through a few cars to get there.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Back when we still lived back home in maine, we thought about this. We hate the hustle and bustle, and hurry up and wait of the airports. Let me know how it goes! We still live about 700 miles, but are driving this time, as well Im slightly crazy! ha! i could see this working out for future trips!

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Is the train you're taking called the Silver Meteor? I often see that train posted at NYPenn Station. Always hours delayed...
Yes Rinx, its the SILVER STAR going to KISSIMMEE and the SILVER METEOR going to WASHINGTON.

I would take a soft sided cooler with food (snacks, sandwiches, fruits, water
I think we will be taking some variation of something for food and drinks! We are planning to eat at Johnny Rockets when we get to Washington, so snack should hold us over until we get to Kissimmee...I don't think we'll starve....besides I could stand to loose a few pounds! LOL

Kristamouse: I am sure you could find a small station that would connect to somewhere larger. If so Hubby and the boys can always just ride to the BIG CITY, have a quick bite or tour if time and then hop on board for the return trip for a day(or two) The nearest Amtrak would be Maysville
Mainahman: Flying this trip was out of the question for my friend besides, Hitting the ground at 500+MPH from 30,000 feet is gonna hurt! At least taking any form of ground transportation, you have a little control over dying! You have a better chance of surviving a train or car crash than and airplane!

BUT ANYWAYS, I DIGRESS...
I just made the reservations for Amtrak this morning, printed them out...they are so pretty! LOL IU did opt for the insurance for $36. The total for 2 using the Disability/Companion Discount was $500....not bad when rental cars are going for $450+ for 15 days! With my health I thought it would be best to let the driving to someone else! The last time I did this trip driving alone was in 2000...a lot has changed since then. If I wore myself out driving and sick for a few days, it would not be fair the either of us! Now the hardest part is waiting for 112 days!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mainahman

Keep us posted! I mean i hate flying too! i avoid it when at all possible. im intrigued! sleeping all the way to disney! i could get in on that!

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Mainahman...for some weird reason I was thinking you were in Maine and then it really confused me when you said you were 700 miles away...Now I see you are in Southern Tennessee! I will post a trip report after I get back! Is there an Amtrak near you?
I checked YOUTUBE for reviews on the train and they said that the seat are equal to first class on a plane. Not having ever been in first class I can only assume they are comfortable and spacious! I did a check on yesterday's trains for my trip and noticed they are usually a little late. the train departing Kissimmee was 4 hours late leaving! That could be 4 hours I could be doing something fun than sitting in a train station! Oh well it will be an adventure and its good to know that the lay over in DC will NOT be 9 hours...more like 7-7.5 hours!

Upvote 0

SaltyD

I've taken the Amtrak Auto Train from VA to FL numerous times! We drive from CT to VA and then relax on the train for 17 hours. I love being able to pack up my minivan, not deal with airport security, and then just sit back. I find the seats large and comfy, plenty of leg room and the seat reclines far enough to get comfy to sleep. I usually wear headphones with a white noise app to block out nighttime sounds of people strolling up and down the aisles. And I'm appreciative of the 2 outlets at each seat for charging phones/laptops/tablets, etc. I can't speak for a standard Amtrak train, but if it's anything like the AutoTrain, it's definitely a great way to travel!

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Thank you SaltyD for weighing in and giving us great advice! I thought about taking the Auto Train, but could not justify the price for the car at almost $500 PLUS they charge you for your seats! I would have thought the cost of the car covered your seats, but I was wrong! Although meals are included, that still doesn't justify using the Auto Train! BUT it will be nice to sit back and let the driving to someone else and not have to loose a day when we get there from being tired from driving all night!

Upvote 0

jimbojones

Please describe what is the 'norm' for tips and who should we tip? Every Amtrak employee we come into contact with...I hope not! How much should we tip? $2 for long distance, $1 for short distance? I guess its similar to tipping Mousekeeping!? Thanks for you response...seems like you are the only one that has taken Amtrak! LOL

Dining and lounge car attendants are tipped like waitstaff at a restaurant or bar so I figure 15% for whatever you think the meal would be worth if you are using the dining car and a buck or two if you are buying from the counter in the lounge. The last trip in a sleeper I tipped $20 for a family of 4 in the dining car for dinner, but it was New Years eve so I think I was being extra generous. Tip the sleeping car attendant like you would hotel housekeeping staff. I usually tip the sleeping car attendant $5 for a one night trip, which is what I do at a hotel. Also if you use the porter services (red hats) for luggage they would be tipped just as you would at an airport but I never pack enough to use those services on a train or plane. I don't think tipping is expected for the attendants in coach seating.

So I were going coach for an overnight I'd figure on tipping about $5 between the lounge counter services and anyone else, and if going first class in the sleeper I'd anticipate maybe 15-$25 worth of tips for the same trip. But I am not sure if I am a generous or stingy tipper, I like to think I am middle of the road but I am sure others might find me cheap or overly generous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimbojones

Keep us posted! I mean i hate flying too! i avoid it when at all possible. im intrigued! sleeping all the way to disney! i could get in on that!
That is something I really like about long distance train trips and from NYC to Orlando you basically get on the train , hang out for a bit, eat dinner, go to sleep (possibly in a bed in a private room with a shower and toilet) and wake up in Orlando the next morning. It is so relaxing and low stress. Yes as others have said Amtrak is often a bit late because they share track with freight but it is a slower paced travel experience in every way. Train travel in the EU us much more precise on time but they typically run on dedicated track.

Upvote 0
We took Amtrak in 2011 from NYC to Orlando to go on the Disney Dream. My husband and I traveled with my boys who at the time were 5 and 8 and my parents. It was ok. We definitely saved on airfare as we went during a school break in NY and airfares were through the roof. We did not have a sleeping car, we were in regular seats. We traveled overnight, it wasn't easy to get the boys to sleep, and it wasn't easy for us to sleep either, but there were outlets at every seat so we had electronic entertainment. The biggest problem we had was that the dining car actually ran out of food! the selection wasn't much to begin with, but I guess the train was full and we had to wait until a certain stop for them to replenish. We brought our own, but still it was weird. There were also some problems with the train itself and they needed to wait for a part to be fixed. I'm not sure I would do it again, maybe with a sleeping car and maybe if I were to save a significant amount compared to airfare.

Upvote 0

Jedi Stitch

The east coast train network is much better than the west coast. I always feel that you should experience train travel at least once, more if you figure out how to get the best deal. The train out here is a vacation in it self for the cost.

Upvote 0
We have taken Amtrak from Little Rock to Orlando and back once.
We took Amtrak in 2011 from NYC to Orlando to go on the Disney Dream. My husband and I traveled with my boys who at the time were 5 and 8 and my parents. It was ok. We definitely saved on airfare as we went during a school break in NY and airfares were through the roof. We did not have a sleeping car, we were in regular seats. We traveled overnight, it wasn't easy to get the boys to sleep, and it wasn't easy for us to sleep either, but there were outlets at every seat so we had electronic entertainment. The biggest problem we had was that the dining car actually ran out of food! the selection wasn't much to begin with, but I guess the train was full and we had to wait until a certain stop for them to replenish. We brought our own, but still it was weird. There were also some problems with the train itself and they needed to wait for a part to be fixed. I'm not sure I would do it again, maybe with a sleeping car and maybe if I were to save a significant amount compared to airfare.

They may have run out of food if all the sleepers were full. Sleeper car passengers get first shot at all meals as it is included in their fare. That is part of the reason we always get a sleeper. Especially when we bring the grand kids. All 4 of us in the family sleeper is just a single up charge for the room and well worth it for the meals, better sleep, and access to showers which you don't have in coach.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom