American Adventure refurb June 18-21

Rob562

I'm surprised as to how much room is needed for the rear projections:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1065021
Is this film or video?

It's film. The projection technology hasn't been updated since it opened in 1982, and video projection was virtually unheard of back then, especially in that large of format and quality. I guess theoretically it could be changed to be a rear-projection digital video now...

And your markings aren't quite right in the diagram. The tallest part of the building is the area above the entire stage. The projection screen would be toward the back of that, not the front. But yes, it's still a lot of area. At the time it opened, it was the widest rear-projection screen in the world. Not sure if it still holds that record or not.

-Rob

JimboJones123

They need to put in more of the older stuff. You know, video of the Cival War. Lincoln Assination. Heck, Why no George Washington Video. He was the FIRST PRESIDENT!!!! This is such a disrespectful film they show. They don't even show that video of the signing of the D-O-I. That's the biggest event in our country's history. Can't they just fork out the cash and buy a copy from CNN. Courtsey it if they need to.

palmage

It's film. The projection technology hasn't been updated since it opened in 1982, and video projection was virtually unheard of back then, especially in that large of format and quality. I guess theoretically it could be changed to be a rear-projection digital video now...

And your markings aren't quite right in the diagram. The tallest part of the building is the area above the entire stage. The projection screen would be toward the back of that, not the front. But yes, it's still a lot of area. At the time it opened, it was the widest rear-projection screen in the world. Not sure if it still holds that record or not.

-Rob
I didn't think there was any Video.

Vernonpush

Yay for New Video & such.

This is more than likely to install the new Golden Dreams video that previous Epcot VP Brad Rex mentioned was coming this year.

Well, whatever they are doing will be in place in time for my arrival in Epcot on the evening of June 23...cool! Hopefully its that new video segment we've been hearing about. (National Treasures would probably take more than four days to complete, and probably won't debut until October...though I wish that'd be there for my trip.)

Where is there video in that attraction?

At the end of the attraction, during "Golden Dream."

Seeing everyone in that Vid is awe inspiring.. at least to me. I hope they don't take any of that out, just add to it.

It is good to see AA get some TLC, even if it is a short time for it.

well I hope they keep Marilyn in, :) partially because I LOVE the fact that the arts and sports are payed homage to as well as political stuff as far as history is concerned. Far to often they ignore the arts and sports when talking about a countries history, when in a lot of cases those items are culture and have every bit to do with a nations history. Anyone ever notice though that neither Babe Ruth or John Wayne are in the video, which is kinda odd since lots of foreigners see those two as huge American Icons, as do Americans. Also I know Hall of Presidents and American Adventure are supposed to fit together, and that's why Lincoln isn't in the American Adventure, but I still think an image or something might be fitting, especially if you see this attraction and not Hall of Presidents.

I will be very sad though if Marilyn is taken out...I always thought they should have had a Marilyn audio animatronic in the great movie ride of her over the subway grate....nothing to risque, just something to kinda pay homage to that.....but I guess I might just be a too overzealous fan.

:ROFLOL:I think that would really ruffle some feathers if that Marilyn were in the video...

-Rob
Thanks Rob, I was a bit confused about the attraction.:lol:

Rob562

They need to put in more of the older stuff. You know, video of the Cival War. Lincoln Assination. Heck, Why no George Washington Video. He was the FIRST PRESIDENT!!!! This is such a disrespectful film they show. They don't even show that video of the signing of the D-O-I. That's the biggest event in our country's history. Can't they just fork out the cash and buy a copy from CNN. Courtsey it if they need to.

I'm trying to determine if you're being serious or not...

First, George Washington is represented in the show. He's the guy sitting on the horse in Valley Forge.

Second, there are specific reasons why certain aspects of the show only use paintings. The designers of the show didn't want to use photographs or video to depict events before those forms of media were invented. Everything shown is a painting until the Civil War segment, because photography hadn't been invented yet. It was just starting to be used around the time of the Civil War, so that's where photographs first appear in the show. Then moving images when those particular inventions came to be introduced. (And not all photos are actual historical photos... I learned a few months ago that the photo of the coffin at the train station was actually staged at the New Orleans Square train station in Disneyland)

Also, the bulk of the show is all about the animatronics. With the exception of the finale montage, the projections are just a way to bridge between animatronic scenes.

And lastly, while a number of famous people are depicted, many of the scenes focus more on how historical events impacted the everyday people. That's why the focus is on the suffering soldiers in Valley Forge and not Washington on his horse in the background, and you see a common family in the Civil War segment and not Lincoln or Lee, regular people listening to the radio in the sequence leading up to WWII, a sailor and two women doing repairs on the navy vessel...

-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
And not to mention..

Video of the Declaration of Independance being signed..? Have you lost your mind?

That ranks right up there with "Chicken of the Sea.. is it chicken or tuna?"

Capt. Jack

I wonder if they'll have anything from Katrina with Biloxi/New Orleans. But, someone mentioned Willie Nelson? I laugh at the thought of that, for some reason. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom