AMC Downtown Disney showing 'DOCTOR WHO ...

Walter Bishop

I'm sorry, but I must correct you..... Mr Capaldi will be the 14th doctor. let me explain, according to Mr Moffet, John Hurt's doctor is really the 9th, Chris Eccleston's is the 10th, David Tennant's is the 11th, David Tennant's partial regeneration in 'Journeys End' counts as 12th, and Matt Smith is the 13th.

Don't blame me, it's that out of control showrunner that is coming up with this nonsense.

Mad Stitch

I'm sorry, but I must correct you..... Mr Capaldi will be the 14th doctor. let me explain, according to Mr Moffet, John Hurt's doctor is really the 9th, Chris Eccleston's is the 10th, David Tennant's is the 11th, David Tennant's partial regeneration in 'Journeys End' counts as 12th, and Matt Smith is the 13th.

Don't blame me, it's that out of control showrunner that is coming up with this nonsense.

I saw that article also. In addition, the "only 12 regenerations" issue is supposed to be addressed in the Christmas episode. I'll believe it when I see it. UK publishers quoting Moffet seem to be a dime a dozen.

Dragonrider1227

I think a lot of it depends on who's in the show. Who really took off with Tenant as the Doctor, because women LOVE him. Billy Piper also seems ridiculously popular with the female fans of the show (I'd share some comments female acquaintances have made, but there a little risque for a family friendly board such as this).
Who's in the show helps a lot.
Tom Baker is best doctor :D

CDavid

Who's in the show helps a lot.
Tom Baker is best doctor :D

I hate to nit-pick, but you spelled the name of the best Doctor wrong; It's David Tennant. :)

No offense to the new Doctor, but I wish they'd went with the plan of splitting the next season between Matt Smith and David Tennant. No idea if that idea was a Whovian fanbois' dream or seriously considered, but I do know the fans would have went wild.

Tom Baker was wonderful in the 50th special, I must admit, however.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hate to nit-pick, but you spelled the name of the best Doctor wrong; It's David Tennant. :)

No offense to the new Doctor, but I wish they'd went with the plan of splitting the next season between Matt Smith and David Tennant. No idea if that idea was a Whovian fanbois' dream or seriously considered, but I do know the fans would have went wild.

Tom Baker was wonderful in the 50th special, I must admit, however.

It's a close race between the two of them for me, although it's really hard to compare since the new version of the show is so much different then the old.

Lokheed

Not quite. Peter Capaldi will still be the 12th Doctor. John Hurt's regeneration very specifically did not take the name of the Doctor; while he is certainly the ninth incarnation the Time Lord who has mostly gone by that name, the Doctor is not his true name but rather a chosen one. And yes, David Tennant's Doctor used up the energy of a regeneration during Journey's End, but that doesn't make him another incarnation. So Capaldi will be the 12th Doctor, and the 13th incarnation, but due to Journey's End his incarnation will happen after 13 regeneration cycles instead of the established limit of 12. In other words, timey-wimey.

Steven Moffat has been very clear about how he explicitly went about not rejiggering the established numbers, while still tackling the regeneration limit in order to free the show up for future Doctors.

Yeah, I'm a Doctor Who geek.

Prock3

I for one hope that they just ignore some silly 47 year old plot tool that was invented so they could keep the show going after the lead actor leaves the show. If they don't address it, so what it doesn't need to be! Not saying anything about it is not really different than using some silly "Timey Wimey" convenient plot point in 90% of Moffat's episodes.

And hasn't it been implied that the 12 regeneration limit was more of a law set up by the Time lords to prevent any one time lord from becoming too powerful? Since he is the last Time Lord that law wouldn't exactly apply to him anymore would it?

Its also been implied that they can regenerate infinitely buy as the regenerations increase they become increasingly unstable, eventually turning him into the valeyard.

Lokheed

And hasn't it been implied that the 12 regeneration limit was more of a law set up by the Time lords to prevent any one time lord from becoming too powerful? Since he is the last Time Lord that law wouldn't exactly apply to him anymore would it?

Bear in mind that all Time Lords are Gallifreyan, but not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords. When one becomes a Time Lord, the Gallifreyan High Council essentially imbibes them with the (for lack of a better term) "energy packets" required to power twelve regeneration cycles. The council had the power to grant additional regeneration cycles (as they promised to the Master in The Deadly Assassin). With Gallifrey locked away in a time bubble in a pocket universe somewhere, however, there is no source for those energy packets (I keep wanting to say "muon energy" but I don't know if that's exactly right). So it's not a matter of the Doctor simply saying, "Hey, I'm the last of the Time Lords, I get to make the rules now!" and granting himself unlimited regenerations. He simply does not have access to Rassilon's power to be able pick up the extra regeneration energy, and there don't appear to be any other Time Lords around from whom he could steal the energy (as if he would be inclined to do such a thing anyway).

As for ignoring "some silly 47 year old plot tool", Doctor Who is kind of an odd duck of a show. It has canon and continuity stretching back 50 years, and yet it also manages to completely reinvent itself on a regular basis. There aren't a whole lot of hard and fast rules, but that one is a BIG one and has been for a very long time. I don't think the show needs to slavishly follow every little detail that has been thrown out over the course of hundreds of stories (lord knows the Daleks and the Cybermen have been reinvented several times), but some things the writers can't just ignore. I think Moffat is right to address this head-on. I will admit I liked his writing much more when he wasn't the show runner, but this final cycle with Matt Smith ("In the Name of the Doctor", "Night of the Doctor", "Day of the Doctor") has been very strong, and I am optimistic that Smith will go out with a bang on "Time of the Doctor" to complete the cycle.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
marypoppinstimelord.gif

Twilight_Roxas

If they make a Doctor Who attraction it should have the same ride engine like Transformers the Ride, and whenever the new Doctor is shown the ride could go into refurbishment like for example if the ride was open with Matt Smith playing the Doctor then the ride would go into refurbishment for Peter Capaldi's role of the Doctor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom