Am I too giddy??

KCheatle

Original Poster
So... I did it! I booked a surprise trip for my kids to DL in mid-May!

When I booked, I was excited about the trip; no doubt. But, the more I looked at our hotel (GC), the parks and what they have to offer, and this forum and what you all were saying, I became increasingly more and more giddy!! :D:D I've got just over 60 days to go, and you'd think I was leaving tomorrow with how much I want to talk all-things-DL! (My DH is ready to smoother me under my pillow!!;);))

I've been to WDW over 15 times, and always am excited when we get to go back. But, I can't remember the last time I was THIS excited to go there?!? Maybe it's because it's all new stuff at DL and I'm a little bored of WDW? Maybe it's because of this "so-called" laid-back atmosphere that I've been hearing you all talk about, and craving from WDW, but learned to accept that I was unable to get both Disney and a laid-back vacation? Maybe it's the fact that I can walk everywhere and not have to wait for a single bus the entire trip? Maybe it's that I can walk directly from my hotel into the park? I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm BURSTING at the seams with excitement for this trip!!

I just hope I'm not setting my expectations too high :oops: Because I am building this up in my head to be something spectacular! :D:D

Tom

Beta Return
You are way too giddy. Disneyland is a very serious and boring place. No giddiness allowed.

OK, just kidding...a lot :D

We first visited DL for a few days after a conference we had to attend in Vegas. That was in May 2013. We used our DVC points and stayed at GC for I think 3 nights. We loved DLR so much, we booked another trip for that December, and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel.

Both trips were awesome - ESPECIALLY the one when we stayed at GC. It was so nice to walk into DCA, or take the nice stroll through DTD to "Walt's Original Magic Kingdom".

I would definitely say it has a more laid back feel, too. It can feel pretty busy, especially on the weekends when all the locals just go to hang out, but you just don't feel the need to run your head off.

And you're also right that it being a new experience leads to the excitement. You'll really appreciate going to the parks and not feeling jaded or bored. And at the same time, you'll also find yourself appreciating some of the roominess of WDW. It's a trade-off....nostalgia and original rides vs better layout.

Go ahead and set your expectations high, because I believe they will still be exceeded. :)

StarWarsGirl

I know exactly how you feel. I too am a WDW vet, but the times I have been to DL, I get so much more excited. Just because I can't go there as much as I can go to WDW.

You'll love DL. Just as long as you don't go expecting it to be like WDW (which I don't think you are), you should have an awesome time. Grand Californian is awesome. I've had the opportunity to stay twice, once in the hotel portion and once in the villas. We love it. We are considering buying DVC resale points because it's so nice. I loved getting on Grizzly River Run and being back in the room and changing clothes within five minutes. Never having to take a bus or drive (unless you are planning on doing more than just Disneyland in SoCal, which you should fyi, unless you're only there for a few days) is especially nice. GC is like a cross between Wilderness Lodge and GF. It's like GF in that it's, well, grand, with a pianist in the lobby and the high level of service, but the architecture and laid-back atmosphere is more like Wilderness Lodge. Although GC is superior to both GF and WL IMO.

My other biggest piece of advice is to just keep reading and researching so that you'll have an idea of a plan for when you get there. If you haven't already, pick up the Birnbaum's Official Disneyland Guidebook. I also like the Unofficial Guide as well. The official one is best for pure facts, pictures, and learning your way around. The Unofficial Guide is better for planning purposes.

Have an awesome trip and let us know how it goes! :)

Thumper14

I am just 37 days away from my Disneyland vacation and I am getting giddy too. After spending 180 days planning our WDW vacations last year, I am almost filling like I should be doing something more for DL. But I forget how relaxing a DL vacation can be. All I did was make my Blue Bayou reservations 60 days out and that is it. I just follow the blogs and ask a few questions. My last visit was in April 2013, but it feels like a lifetime ago. I cannot wait to see the Big Thunder Railroad new special effects!

Pirate’s Life

When I booked, I was excited about the trip; no doubt. But, the more I looked at our hotel (GC), the parks and what they have to offer, and this forum and what you all were saying, I became increasingly more and more giddy!! :D:D I've got just over 60 days to go, and you'd think I was leaving tomorrow with how much I want to talk all-things-DL! (My DH is ready to smoother me under my pillow!!;);))

I've been to WDW over 15 times, and always am excited when we get to go back. But, I can't remember the last time I was THIS excited to go there?!? Maybe it's because it's all new stuff at DL and I'm a little bored of WDW? Maybe it's because of this "so-called" laid-back atmosphere that I've been hearing you all talk about, and craving from WDW, but learned to accept that I was unable to get both Disney and a laid-back vacation? Maybe it's the fact that I can walk everywhere and not have to wait for a single bus the entire trip? Maybe it's that I can walk directly from my hotel into the park? I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm BURSTING at the seams with excitement for this trip!!

I just hope I'm not setting my expectations too high :oops: Because I am building this up in my head to be something spectacular! :D:D
Have a great time at DLR. There is so much to do in the two parks. Make sure you see Fantasmic on the Rivers of America. It is amazing! Just knowing that you are walking in Walt Disney's footsteps is something special.

tylrrbmc

I agree with @Carpe Diem. Fantasmic in DL is truly something special. The experience is much more intimate (as is the experience at DL compared to WDW as a whole) and it comes with surprises you don't get at the WDW version. I would recommend a Blue Bayou dinner the night of Fantasmic. It comes with a Fastpass for reserved seating to the show. If you can, you should try and attend Fantasmic every night it shows. You can catch all the other shows on regular weekdays. Also, don't forget your Disney swag. The culture in DL is not only much more laid back but everyone loves to rep. their Disney side. Off the top of my head I would say 9/10 guests wear some sort of Disney merch while at the parks (if not more). My experience at WDW I would estimate 9/100 guests maybe where merch? Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, overall you will find the experience to be much more intimate. CM's go out of their way to try and make each guest feel special one way or another. My trip is booked for late August and I already can't stop thinking about it lol.

Disneyhead'71

You're going to DLR and I'm not:

gr-4.jpg

Thumper14

I agree with @Carpe Diem. Fantasmic in DL is truly something special. The experience is much more intimate (as is the experience at DL compared to WDW as a whole) and it comes with surprises you don't get at the WDW version. I would recommend a Blue Bayou dinner the night of Fantasmic. It comes with a Fastpass for reserved seating to the show. If you can, you should try and attend Fantasmic every night it shows. You can catch all the other shows on regular weekdays. Also, don't forget your Disney swag. The culture in DL is not only much more laid back but everyone loves to rep. their Disney side. Off the top of my head I would say 9/10 guests wear some sort of Disney merch while at the parks (if not more). My experience at WDW I would estimate 9/100 guests maybe where merch? Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, overall you will find the experience to be much more intimate. CM's go out of their way to try and make each guest feel special one way or another. My trip is booked for late August and I already can't stop thinking about it lol.
Good advice!
I have my BB Fantasmic Dinner booked on our first night there. Over half my daily wardrobe is already Disney and I will be adding a Disney Pandora bracelet on this trip. I am ready to do this already.

tylrrbmc

Good advice!
I have my BB Fantasmic Dinner booked on our first night there. Over half my daily wardrobe is already Disney and I will be adding a Disney Pandora bracelet on this trip. I am ready to do this already.

I love that Disney is partners with Pandora now. I bought my wife a Pandora bracelet several years ago but was disappointed when then didn't have anything Disney/Princess related. She now has several Disney charms since Christmas and her birthday =)

Walt Disney1955

You don't have to apologize to any of us on here. I first went to Disneyland in 2012. I woke up at 6:30am in our hotel, went to the washroom and knew I had about another hour to sleep. But I couldn't because I was so excited. I was literally like a kid on Christmas morning looking at the clock.

Gaston's gal

You will love to ride the rides that are different from WDW. They may be simple to some, but I like them. Make sure you look for the right in the room above the firehouse-Walt's apartment. Makes me teary when I see it. Enjoy your trip!

Eric The Disnerd

I do not think it is possible to be too giddy over a Disney trip! It's 100% normal and I'm pretty sure everyone does it!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Nope, you'll love DLC (waits for the flames to start since I used that acronym).

That said, you'll have 2 distinct somewhat shocking reactions if you are used to WDW.

1) The train station is small, and the walk/transition into Main Street will feel...short.
2) The Castle is small

That said, you'll have many, many more positives.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Honestly... Get ready for a big surprise. Disneyland is a whole different atmosphere. Everything feels so original! Like englanddg had said the castle might disappoint you!

IM READY FOR THE HATE BRING IT ON
Yeah, but the rest of the park easily makes up for it, with the possible exception of Tomorrowland, which is as bad as the one at WDW....missing direction.

Their Main Street though, I can't say it enough, slow down and enjoy it. It's SO MUCH BETTER than the one at WDW, once you get over the size difference, as is their Adventureland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom