Am I the only one that liked the Birthday Cake castle?

SteveAZee

Honestly I was kind of hoping they would do that again. I know there’s something wrong with me but this new decor doesn’t do it for me, I liked the paint job but these extra decorations are ruining it. Not only did I like the quirky birthday cake castle it’s something I wouldn’t mind seeing again and actually prefer it over this current look.
I thought the concept was fine as a temporary thing. I didn't like the Pepto Bismol color though.

Goofyernmost

I don't remember thinking too much about it one way or the other. Since it was something I had no control over, it didn't occur to me to voice my opinion.
Then again, it wasn't my first trip and I knew it wouldn't be my last. If it had been a once in a lifetime trip, I'm sure I would have been disappointed.
Yea, well I made one trip to DLR and I really, really wanted to compare Disneyland's Haunted Mansion to WDW's Haunted Mansion. However, they were knee deep in the Christmas overlay and even though I got to see that, I was completely unimpressed and saddened because that was going to be my only trip to DLR. Disappointed, yes because I wanted to see the original HM. Upset and unimpressed with what took it's place, Yes, again, but I also realized the everything about both Jack Skelkington and HM were make believe and it was just a different show. That was the same with the Castle Cake, but it was taken like an affront to the sensibilities of the fans. A real Disney fan would have found the positive in that massively creative overlay of the Cindy Castle. I'm still open to what SSE will look like, but that plastic castle is not the engineering marvel that SSE Geodesic Sphere is. Anyone can throw lights on a building.

Goofyernmost

Gotta laugh. Buckingham Palace may be architectually historic. Hard to imagine the same label being applied to SSE.
Being the first and only Geodesic Sphere in the world, does indeed make it an architecturally historic label that rightfully is applied to SSE. There had been many Geodesic Domes but until EPCOT no one had figured out how to make it complete from top to bottom and still remain stable. To my knowledge it is still the only one in the world. The engineering that allowed it to collect rainwater and direct it to the lagoon so that water doesn't drip on peoples heads when it raining, again to my knowledge was a new thing. The outside visual show scene design was singular to SSE

NelleBelle

I certainly thought it was tacky at the time but I was glad to see the MB they had a few months ago with the BD cake on it (made me really wish I hadn't jumped the gun and purchased ours quite so early before our trip). It's a nostalgic memory I'll never forget and actually wish I had more than just a picture of it from that trip (wish I had bought a magnet).

Timshar2

The birthday cake castle, not really a fan at first but looking back I now am. For us it was a great time, and Disney was affordable compared to now. I found a cheap international drive hotel, $56 per night including breakfast and dinner for a week. I took $1500 with me for that trip and came home with money in my pocket. Something I have never said since so ya I liked the castle. The decorations must have been fragile as They had to keep cranes around the castle
Most of the time because it was hurricane season. And while it made me think of a giant bottle of Pepto Bismol as we walked Main Street I think it was cool that they were able to pull it off. This was a few years before Animal Kingdom park , fast pass and Ellen I think was new at universe of energy in Epcot. Seems like forever ago but I look forward to going back this June after a year plus away. There may not be a birthday cake castle this year but I bet there will be something else we all be talking about 25 years from now.

The Empress Lilly

Cake Castle was not exactly pretty. Falling apart at the much less photographed backside too.

But I enjoy it for its exuberance, its sense of fun. Eisner era big show. I would have hated for it to stay on for a prolonged amount of time, but it was awesome as a temporary overlay. Wish they'd do it again now.

The Empress Lilly

Gotta laugh. Buckingham Palace may be architectually historic. Hard to imagine the same label being applied to SSE.
I agree that authentic is a difficult label to apply to Disney. By definition it isn't.

But Buckingham Palace, the façade, is 108 years old, Sleeping Beauty Castle 66. There's only 42 years between them. Both are fairly tale neo-style outward façades meant to convey a sense of otherwordly aloofness to the visitor approaching on the road leading up to it.

LittleMerman

I LOVE the castle cake!! It was fun, creative, unique, and whimsicle which I have come to expect from Disney. People acted like it was so offensive but even if you didn't like it, it was just an overlay for a celebration, not a permanent change. I understand not wanting it in your wedding photos or whatever but then just move your wedding date. Disney shouldn't have to accommodate their creativity for your wedding (don't get me started on people that get married in a theme park in the first place). And if it's the "one time you go to Disney" and hate the castle so much then reschedule your trip. But I guarantee you they'll never do anything that extreme again bc people get too self-righteous about what they want and feel they deserve from Disney. No wonder they don't attempt big creative risks anymore. People wet their pants with any change.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It was the way my daughter saw Cinderella Castle for her very first trip. Granted she has no personal recollection of it but because of that, it has some nostalgia for me. Do I think it was a good idea? No not really. With that being said, I don't recall being that PO'd about it at the time.

FYI - My daughter bought all kinds of 25th anniversary Castle Cake clothing for our trip in a few months...LOL.

Robbiem

I enjoyed it. Its was a fun makeover rather than the overly serious tone everything appears to be now. It also IMO looked better than the similar one they did in Paris a few years earlier

Attachments

• 06832AB6-4AF5-4814-A750-EF05651446DC.png
    06832AB6-4AF5-4814-A750-EF05651446DC.png
    592.7 KB · Views: 57

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom