Am I stupid for not choosing grand floridian?

kane47

Yes lol, no it really depends on your personal taste. My favorite is the GF but the Boardwalk is very nice. The GF has construction going on and walls up all over outside. It might be nice to have a fully functioning resort. The EPCOT are is awesome, so much to do and eat around there.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

I've stayed at both, and loved them both, but no resort quite matches the GF (in my opinion). And for the same price, that's a no brainer.
I almost hate to do it - because I really love the Boardwalk - but I totally agree with this statement.

We've stayed at the Boardwalk 3 times (twice on the Inn side - standard view, once on the Villas side - Boardwalk view). All stays were lovely - we really like the theming and being able to walk to 2 parks.

Then we stayed at the Grand Floridian over Marathon Weekend (January 9-13 this year) using a pretty decent AP rate (we were originally booked at the Poly but no discounts ever came out for that resort during our stay). Let me address the main issues people seem to have brought up with the resort in this thread:

1. Stuffiness of the resort. As excited as I was to stay at the GF I was also a bit nervous...I felt like I was going to walk in and people were immediately going to know that I didn't belong there. But from the moment I stepped of the Magical Express I felt completely welcome and comfortable. The CMs at this resort are so incredibly friendly - from the guy that checked me in to the one that offered me a ride back to my room to the one that brought my luggage, everyone was fantastic. Start to finish. It made me realize that I'd always assumed the resort would be "stuffy" simply because that's what I'd read everywhere - here, in guidebooks, etc. Once I was actually there I didn't find it to be stuff at all.

2. Construction. Yes, the construction is ugly, but the noise never bothered us...not sure what else to say about it.

Bottom line, if you can get the BW or the GF for the same price...go for the Grand. Or maybe you could do a split stay? :)

Upvote 0

durangojim

Having stayed at the GF quite a few times, I'd only stay there if I had a theme park or water view. It's nice for sure, but not any nicer than the Beach Club or Polynesian, and if you're an adult and loves World Showcase at night as much as I do, I'd rather stay at an EPCOT resort.

Upvote 0

SecondStarTilMorning

Original Poster
We actually had the same situation in February. We had booked the BW, but later switched to the GF for the trip. We had stayed at the BW before, but never GF. So for us it wasn't hard to decide. We stayed at GF and would make that switch again.

What about the Floridian makes you want to come back again vs trying the boardwalk?

Upvote 0

SecondStarTilMorning

Original Poster
Neither....would stay at mod or value and use the extra money for other things.

I've thought about that. It's easily $1,000 more for our boardwalk inn water view vs doing port orleans or Caribbean Beach! My wife has been spoiled by massive 1 bedroom units at nearby bonnet creek resort, so I'm a little wary of going to something as small as a mod for our first time doing something other than bonnet creek.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We took advantage of an opportunity to stay there a few years ago for a substantial discount, and although it was not and is not our favorite resort, I'm very glad we did. It was a great experience that we'll probably never be able to afford to do again, and now we know.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom