Am I insane?

NelleBelle

So for our upcoming trip this fall I originally booked a studio at SSR. Then thought I'd splurge and moved my reservation over to the Poly. But just now switched our reservation, again, over to YC. I think the price was my biggest reason for switching. I was nearly $1500 less to move to YC. My second reason was, in all honesty, location. I love the ease of being between EP and HS. F&W will still be going on and we booked park hoppers. We loved the SAB and loved spending the afternoon lazying about by the pool, hopping into EP for dinner.

But am I insane to give up our booking at the Poly? Everyone always is saying how great it is to stay there and I'm wondering if I'm crazy for switching resorts?

celluloid

So for our upcoming trip this fall I originally booked a studio at SSR. Then thought I'd splurge and moved my reservation over to the Poly. But just now switched our reservation, again, over to YC. I think the price was my biggest reason for switching. I was nearly $1500 less to move to YC. My second reason was, in all honesty, location. I love the ease of being between EP and HS. F&W will still be going on and we booked park hoppers. We loved the SAB and loved spending the afternoon lazying about by the pool, hopping into EP for dinner.

But am I insane to give up our booking at the Poly? Everyone always is saying how great it is to stay there and I'm wondering if I'm crazy for switching resorts?

You are close to two theme parks you enjoy instead of one. Unless you really love the Seven Seas Lagoon, it is fine.

1500 is a lot. For me it sure is worth saving that much. A lot of fun can be had for the both of you with that while still getting a vacation.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

I love the Poly, we are DVC there. But, if I could save that much money and be at another beautiful resort I would just use some of that money for a nice cocktail/dinner at the Poly and an evening on the beach for fireworks!
We tend to stick to the monorail resorts just because that's our comfort zone.

Upvote 0

No, you're not. :) YC is wonderful and was always one of my dream resorts. I love Poly too, but we're an EPCOT loving couple and staying in the EPCOT resort area is ideal for us. Enjoy your time at the YC!

Upvote 0

SplashJacket

I stayed at Poly as an escaped fetus, but have no recollection of it.

However, I have decades of memories of being a Shades of Green parasite that walked through Poly's lobby, used its Monorail station, and ate at its restaurants. Poly is awesome!

That said, I think Yacht Club is nicer 10 days out of the week. The pool, immediate access to two parks (that's more convenient than Poly's access to one), and just the absolutely gorgeous Boardwalk at night, hard to knock it. Easy access to Topolino's if you want an excuse to ride the Skyliner (if you prefer walking to Hollywood Studios)

Personally, ignoring the savings, I easily prefer Yacht.

Depending on what I'm looking for in a Disney Hotel, here are my thoughts.

Best location: Yacht & Beach
Best theming: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Best theming honorable mention: Wilderness Lodge
Best monorail: Poly
Best pool: Yacht & Beach
Best all around: Depends on the trip.
Best value: Skyliner resort of your choice

If I want to exclusively enjoy the hotel, AKL is easily my top choice, the Savannah coupled with incredible food and theming makes AKL insane. On a Magic Kingdom dominated trip, Poly might make the most sense. Wilderness Lodge feels the most secluded, so if you want isolation, but easier park access than AKL (AKL's biggest downfall). But Yacht's location, proximity to so much of interest outside of the parks, theming, and INSANE pool, it's hard to beat. After this past trip, we had a split stay at Dolphin and Yacht, and honestly, I don't see us staying outside of Dolphin anywhere in the near future, I just love the Epcot resorts area and Dolphin does a fantastic job of pleasing us.

Yacht is definitely nicer than Dolphin, but we normally don't make sufficient use of its pool. In totality, Poly is awesome, but I think Yacht is just even greater. I think most of the perks at each hotel can be achieved by resort hopping (AKL, WL, and Poly all have great environments), but unless you're staying at Yacht, you don't have the location and pool, items you can't makeup by resort hopping.

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

You’re not crazy.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Nope, not insane. We gave up Poly (a resort I love) for the Dolphin on our last visit (saved lots of money, and avoided the Poly entrance construction and corresponding lack of monorail service at the time) and didn't regret it one bit. The Crescent Lake hotels have such an amazing location that they're really hard to beat - and it's more difficult to go anywhere else once you've stayed there. We're looking forward to Yacht Club ourselves (for the first time, part of a split stay) in August!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

No not at all. You’ve given valid reasons to go a different route. A huge savings is worth doing it. If you had the money and spending wasn’t an issue then you could go Poly without draining your bank account. As it is your change over will give you a comfortable sit to stay and easy park access to bring you a satisfiable vacation. Poly will be always be there for you to enjoy on a later date when it’s more affordable for you. We used to stay at moderate resorts until we could afford deluxe and still go back to moderate stays just because we enjoy POFQ so much. Don’t give a second thought to making the change.

Upvote 0

LittleMerman

Not crazy at all, just depends on what vibe and location you're looking for! YC is beautiful and if you like being close to Epcot, then that's awesome! Plus you get to save money, win-win! Have fun on your trip!!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Not crazy at all. Don't get me wrong...the Poly is nice, but I don't know if it really lives up to the hype. I remember getting a lot of "oooooh, nice!!!" reactions from people the last time we stayed there...like it was some super worth it splurge. Add that in with all of the Poly love you see on the boards and I was expecting it to be amazing. It wasn't bad...far from it, but I still prefer the Contemporary if I'm staying in a monorail resort (now that's where some say I'm crazy! 🤪). In fact, we stayed at the Poly for a F&W trip and I regret not picking one of the resorts over in the Epcot/HS area. So for that reason, I think you made a great choice. We had debated about staying in a DVC studio at the Poly back in 2021, but a 1 bedroom at BWV with a room discount ended up being a much better deal. We also spent more days at Epcot and HS that trip, so it really made sense to be over there. And with a big savings...you can put that $ towards more fun things with your trip...or savings for a future visit.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Not crazy at all. Don't get me wrong...the Poly is nice, but I don't know if it really lives up to the hype. I remember getting a lot of "oooooh, nice!!!" reactions from people the last time we stayed there...like it was some super worth it splurge. Add that in with all of the Poly love you see on the boards and I was expecting it to be amazing. It wasn't bad...far from it, but I still prefer the Contemporary if I'm staying in a monorail resort (now that's where some say I'm crazy! 🤪). In fact, we stayed at the Poly for a F&W trip and I regret not picking one of the resorts over in the Epcot/HS area. So for that reason, I think you made a great choice. We had debated about staying in a DVC studio at the Poly back in 2021, but a 1 bedroom at BWV with a room discount ended up being a much better deal. We also spent more days at Epcot and HS that trip, so it really made sense to be over there. And with a big savings...you can put that $ towards more fun things with your trip...or savings for a future visit.
I really love the Contemporary too! I think I would've chosen there in a heartbeat had that new rethemeing not happened. Don't get me wrong, love the Incredibles! Just think that it could've been excited better (although I do LOVE the new bathroom design over the previous style). One other minus for us when we've stayed there is we just aren't as big of fans of the CR's pool area, sadly.

I think I'm mostly happy about switching to YC. I think if I weren't living in Hawaii and flying back/forth to the west coast every few months I would be fine staying at the Poly. But when I think that I could use that money saved for upgrading to first-class, trip to DLR, or Tokyo Disney next year, I feel fairly good about it. Plus, if I'm honest, the pools at the Poly, while they look great, don't necessarily tip the scales away from SAB at YC. Just wish YC had better QS dining. If anyone who stays at YC has secret QS-alternatives that get them to the parks (not just bakery goods, ideally with eggs/cheese)...

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

You are close to two theme parks you enjoy instead of one.
Poly to Epcot via monorail is more valuable than Yacht Club to Hollywood Studios via walking or Skyliner, IMO.

But for that price difference, I'd still pick Yacht Club. Especially with the nightmare situation in Future World. Normally, I much prefer entering Epcot through the "front door," but not right now.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Poly to Epcot via monorail is more valuable than Yacht Club to Hollywood Studios via walking or Skyliner, IMO.

But for that price difference, I'd still pick Yacht Club.
What about YC to HS via the boat? We tend to use that as our primary transportation to HS unless the line is super long from HS back to YC or we've just missed the boat.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I really love the Contemporary too! I think I would've chosen there in a heartbeat had that new rethemeing not happened. Don't get me wrong, love the Incredibles! Just think that it could've been excited better (although I do LOVE the new bathroom design over the previous style). One other minus for us when we've stayed there is we just aren't as big of fans of the CR's pool area, sadly.

I think I'm mostly happy about switching to YC. I think if I weren't living in Hawaii and flying back/forth to the west coast every few months I would be fine staying at the Poly. But when I think that I could use that money saved for upgrading to first-class, trip to DLR, or Tokyo Disney next year, I feel fairly good about it. Plus, if I'm honest, the pools at the Poly, while they look great, don't necessarily tip the scales away from SAB at YC. Just wish YC had better QS dining. If anyone who stays at YC has secret QS-alternatives that get them to the parks (not just bakery goods, ideally with eggs/cheese)...

Agreed! The Incredibles retheme was very disappointing (totally unnecessary IP placement), but the updated bathrooms are nice. In fact, it was nice to see the old square sinks removed with this process. Those things never drained very well. As for the pool...I have mixed feelings. On the surface, it looks the blandest of all of the deluxe resorts and they could do more with the Contemporary feeling to the area, but something changes when I'm there and am actually in the pool/pool area...and I think I've figured out why. It reminds me of some of the old Borscht Belt Catskills resorts my parents would visit. I only experienced them in the 70s and 80s, but everything was still mid-century modern decor at that point. The one we visited the most had their outdoor pool overlooking a lake and while there were several resort buildings with hotel rooms, the tower was highly visible from the lake and outdoor pool (BLT look). The outdoor pool was fairly basic, but the indoor pool had rounded artistic accents to give it that feel. Maybe I'm crazy, but I see some inspirational ties. So, maybe it's that and the nostalgia factor with those Catskills trips that has given me a soft spot for the Contemporary pool. I know it's totally going off on a tangent, but I attached some pics...in case anyone else sees what I see.

Yeah...living in Hawaii surpasses being at the Poly. If you do plan on using the pool, SAB beats out all of the other pools. It's been a while since we stayed at YC, but I know we went over to BW for food and I seem to recall grabbing some snacks and Swan and Dolphin. While I miss all of the pastries from BW Bakery, the transition to it being BW Deli gives you more sandwich and salad options. Even before the transition, we ate several quick service type meals there last trip.

1675350852323.png
1675350910863.png
1675351196358.png
1675351567203.png

Attachments

• 1675350969365.png
    1675350969365.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Original Poster
For swimming, sure, but not for relaxing.

We tended to find loungers at YC under some trees that were back away from the hubbub and action at SAB and I’d read/nap in the afternoons ( although I can nap pretty much anywhere)! 😁

@HouCuseChickie I totally can see the connection with the pools/resorts you grew up with! I think if there were a bit more shade and or greenery at CR’s pool, it wouldn’t bother me quite as bad🌴

Upvote 0

MissViv

I stayed at YC last year and probably will not go there again. Very disappointed in the quick service but the convenience to Epcot was amazing! Also loved taking the skyliner to HS.

My daughter and I are going in April and staying at the Poly (my favorite resort). She has never stayed there. What I love about it is the relaxing atmosphere, the food and fireworks on the beach (priceless). When I am watching the fireworks from the beach or pool, with the music piped in, it is absolutely heaven. Especially when you think about all the crowd of people on mainstreet.

$1500 is a lot of money but it just depends on if you will be spending time at the resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom