Am I going to hate Pop Century?

MissViv

Original Poster
I have scheduled a short 3 night trip 3/02 and my niece from Tampa is joining me. Two adult female doing this trip with no kids.

I have Pop reserved but now I am having second thoughts after reading a lot of review that say noisy, tons of kids, crowded, etc. The price is good and I will be coming in on the magical express but she has a car and of course we could use the skyliner or bus from the resort.

My last several visits have been deluxe resorts but I have always wanted to try POFQ. It would cost $343.05 total for the 3 nights to change our reservation to FQ. No discounts are available. Rooms look a lot nicer and it would be quieter and the food court better.

For those who have stayed at both, what would you do?

I have scheduled a short 3 night trip 3/02 and my niece from Tampa is joining me. Two adult female doing this trip with no kids.

I have Pop reserved but now I am having second thoughts after reading a lot of review that say noisy, tons of kids, crowded, etc. The price is good and I will be coming in on the magical express but she has a car and of course we could use the skyliner or bus from the resort.

My last several visits have been deluxe resorts but I have always wanted to try POFQ. It would cost $343.05 total for the 3 nights to change our reservation to FQ. No discounts are available. Rooms look a lot nicer and it would be quieter and the food court better.

If you're accustomed to deluxe resorts, then yes, Pop will be disappointing. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $343 - I've stayed at both. Unless you're really trying to go on the cheap and keep it budget friendly, I'd pick POFQ - the vibe is much better. And, yes, POP is crawling with Brazilian tour groups, soccer teams, cheerleaders, etc. They are annoying and loud. And up all night! The small, quaint layout of POFQ is ideal for two ladies with no kids along.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
For shorter trips such as a quick MCMCP trip we will stay at a Value from time to time. We have stayed at multiple Value and Moderate resorts. Given that background info... we wouldn’t stay at Pop again. It wasn’t the crowds or groups. We have stayed at All-Star Sports during when there were loads of soccer teams and huge birthday party groups. The resort seemed dirty, not nearly as well maintained, and staff didn’t seem vested in doing anything about it. I would definitely go with POFQ if you can get it.

RobWDW1971

For shorter trips such as a quick MCMCP trip we will stay at a Value from time to time. We have stayed at multiple Value and Moderate resorts. Given that background info... we wouldn’t stay at Pop again. It wasn’t the crowds or groups. We have stayed at All-Star Sports during when there were loads of soccer teams and huge birthday party groups. The resort seemed dirty, not nearly as well maintained, and staff didn’t seem vested in doing anything about it. I would definitely go with POFQ if you can get it.

If you're looking to save money, I would go to one of the hotels near Disney Springs - you can walk to the Springs at night, you still get bus transpo if you need it, and you're in the bubble without paying the ridiculous premium. I have never understood the draw of the "value" Disney resorts.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I also tend to stay deluxe when I travel to Disney but recently stayed at Pop. I was not thrilled with the resort and won’t go back. It was too large and had thinner walls than at the Yacht Club. It isn’t terrible but if you are used to the deluxe amenities then I you might be disappointed.

mf1972

we stayed at pop about 5-6 years ago. i thought it was ok, my wife hated it. it was a bit more nosier since it’s bigger than the rest of the value resorts. i’m not sure if it’s gotten more hectic with the skyliner opening there.
we have stayed at the FQ 3 years in a row & just returned 3 weeks ago. can’t go wrong with FQ. smaller, compact, & pretty quiet.
it’s just my wife & i. we have no objections staying at the values, but FQ has become our favorite.

belledream

I stayed at POFQ for the first time (and my first Moderate in ages) coming from years of Value stays. Though I enjoy Values more than most, I will admit that POFQ blew our socks off. Not so much the rooms (still small with the basics and the same neighboring-toilet-flushing-noises you get everywhere) but the grounds were indeed quiet and beautiful. We also “upgraded” (forced to via rebooking due to Dorian) and paid way more than 300 bucks but we didn’t regret it this time. I’d say go for it if you’d be there to enjoy it over the course of 3 nights. Otherwise, when we were at Pop and coming back late every night, we had no issues with crowds or noise... as we were the last ones back ourselves.

Wisconsin

We've stayed at Pop and POFQ several times and to us POFQ is just not worth the upcharge for nicer landscaping. While we love the boat to DS (especially at night!) I just can't justify it. Maybe if you were looking for a resort day, but still...Since the refurb Pop rooms are petty nice for a bed and shower after a long day at the parks. Plus walking over the bridge to AoA AND the Skyliner!

durangojim

Thanks for all the comments, they were really helpful. I called Disney and changed to POFQ this morning. So excited …. I have always wanted to try this resort. The food court has an amazing menu.
We stay at Deluxes 99% of the time. However, POFQ is our favorite non-deluxe. It's small and charming. As long as you don't expect deluxe accommodations you won't be disappointed.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
With that attitude you probably will end up hating it.
Choose somewhere else if you don't want to stay at POP.
POP is actually my favorite Disney resort that I've stayed at and have stayed there 11 times.
I stay in a standard room and request 50's lake view and its very quiet.
I've stayed with my whole family including kids and I've stayed adults only.
There are kids at all resorts. There is noise at all resorts around the pools and int he main budiling.
The transportation is efficient and I like the food court.
I have not stayed at POFQ but have stayed at POR and I find that at mods and deluxe the transportation is not up to the level that the values are.

juniorthomas

Pop Century isn't terrible, but it's not as good as POFQ. I'd suggest only choosing Pop if any of the following apply to you:
  1. You'd like to save as much money as possible so you can instead put that money into experiences or meals.
  2. Aside from sleep, you don't plan on spending a lot of time at your hotel.
  3. You're okay with longer walks to resort buses at each park.
Again, it isn't a bad hotel by any stretch. POFQ is a great hotel, and you certainly pay for that. But at the same time, all hotels will have noisy guests and you'll be able to find something wrong with any of them on any day of the week. (I know a lot of people who prefer Riverside to French Quarter, anyway.) I've only had good experiences at Pop. And this includes the multiple trips when I found myself rooming back in the 90s and was forced to make the long trek to Classic Hall a few times a day.

Whichever you decide, have a great time at WDW!

MissViv

Original Poster
I realize there is noise at most all resorts. I was just at Animal Kingdom Lodge in November and it was "very noisy". But, I believe, Pop would be more noisy due to more children, not that I have anything against children.

Thanks for all the replies.

ToTBellHop

With that attitude you probably will end up hating it.
Choose somewhere else if you don't want to stay at POP.
POP is actually my favorite Disney resort that I've stayed at and have stayed there 11 times.
I stay in a standard room and request 50's lake view and its very quiet.
I've stayed with my whole family including kids and I've stayed adults only.
There are kids at all resorts. There is noise at all resorts around the pools and int he main budiling.
The transportation is efficient and I like the food court.
I have not stayed at POFQ but have stayed at POR and I find that at mods and deluxe the transportation is not up to the level that the values are.
POFQ is often reviewed as having the best bus service on property.

JIMINYCR

Thanks for all the comments, they were really helpful. I called Disney and changed to POFQ this morning. So excited …. I have always wanted to try this resort. The food court has an amazing menu.
I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice. POFQ has been our home resort for the majority of our trips. It is a much quieter resort and adult friendly. The one big thing it is lacking is a restaurant, and the menu at the food court although is good, doesnt have the variety of POR. You can take a walk on the pathway at the back of the resort ( about 10 min. ) to POR and see the more variety of food choices, You can eat there or have food taken out and brought back to POFQ. Also visit the POR evening lounge entertainer Yeehaa Bob on one of your free nights.
Bus service from POFQ has gotten much better and more reliable in past years, depending on when you go it can either go straight to the parks or loop around to get POR pick ups. The boat ride to DS is very relaxing and gives you quicker access to the shops, restaurants and entertainment

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom