Am I Crazy???

doombgy

My family (3 teenagers, myself, and my mother-56), have been to WDW 4 times, all at the end of Jan beginning of Feb. We are going back August 16-23. Question is,.... AM I CRAZY? :eek: How big are the crowds compared Jan/Feb? I know it will be VERY different, but how different? Also, is the heat so unbearable? I am a sun worshiper so I'm not worried about me, but am a little concerned about the kids and my mom. Anyway, any tips or info would help and be appreciated:kiss:

tigger1968

It's Florida in August.....plan on it being rediculously hot. I grew up there, and I have made the mistake of returning in August, lol. Heavy crowds were my experience, coupled with the heat and humidity. Granted, if you plan for it, and know what you're getting into, it should be fine. The parks tend to be open later that in Jan/Feb, which is nice. If you have a choice, I would go later, like Sept. or Oct. If that's the only time you can go, then go. Just plan on dealing with more crowds than you may be used to, and the heat will be pretty bad. The way I look at it, I'm at Disney World! Who cares what time of year it is!:lol:

Upvote 0

doombgy

Original Poster
Thanks Tigger:) I totally agree; we'll be at Disney, who cares!! I just couldn't refuse the free dining offer, and since the teenagers are in school, we HAVE to go then:fork: . I would have chosen late Sept or early Oct. but OH WELL. I guess we will need to take some breaks and keep as cool as possible (both physically AND mentally) and try not to go too "commando" as I normally do (type A personally:lol: that's me).

Upvote 0
Crazy? NO!! We wish we could go to Disney that much. GO!!!

We have been going during that time for the last few years. The groups are definitely less than the summer months. With fastpassses for the main attractions and stand by for all others, we have never waited more than 20 minutes. Often the times were much less.

As far as the heat, it is hot. But if you take a break during the midday heat, it really is worth it. Also when the thunderstorms hit, the parks do clear out. For the free dining promo this time period, you can't go wrong. Have a great time!!!!!

Upvote 0

sring

How can it be crazy to hit Disney World? As with others, we have kids in school, and before we had kids, my wife was a teacher so we were stuck to school schedules anyway, and usually went in mid-late august (as soon as value season started).

Our strategy was to hit the parks early before the sun got too hot and stay in the parks until lunch. Then we'd go back to our resort, take a nap...hit the pool and such until late afternoon. Then go back to the parks in the evening, somewhat refreshed, after the daily thunderstorm and ready to enjoy until the night parade and/or fireworks.

Upvote 0

kellydisney

We've been in that time frame in August a couple times now. Yes the crowds are way heavier than in Feb and expect them to be a little heavier this year because of the free dining plan incentive.

But it's not impossible :) If you're a Disney commando (as I assume most of us are to be on this message board) you will know what to do to avoid long lines. But be sure to pack water bottles and I do recommend taking a break from parks around 2 to go enjoy the pool. I almost passed out twice last trip because the sun is relentless during that time frame.

But don't forget to bring your mom into nice air conditioned shops while you're walking around.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

doombgy

Original Poster
thanks! My mom is my BIGGEST concern; she almost didn't come because she is a little intolerant to the heat. I'm planning on doing early extra magic hours and leaving at noontime, heading back to the pool/resort, and getting some rest. Once the day starts to cool off a little, we will hopefully head back out. As long as I am aware and prepared to get her some water, breaks, air conditioning, etc., I'm sure it will be fine. She's a Disney nut also, so she's trying to be prepared. I thought of buying some "camelback" back packs (compact packs that store water) for whoever wants one. I read that they are great at keeping water cold AND will cool off the person who is wearing it as well. Anyway, with a plan, I think we'll do GREAT. How can we not, right, it's DISNEY!!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

kennygman77

YES, here's your certification. No seriously, our family is going the 14-22 and plan to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Looking forward to first BB and TL visits with the kids too. Just don't stay out in the heat too much from 12-4 and you'll be fine. Crowds go down when school starts, but not like Feb when the parks are almost empty.

Upvote 0

Bluewaves

Well if you have to ask you are, no your not really:lol: Just remember to plan your days accordingly. The water parks will be nuts and you'll want to get out of the heat between 12-3 in the afternoon other than that you'll be fine have fun. Nothing like the heat of illuminations on a 80 degree plus night.

Upvote 0

MansionFan415

Coming from someone who worked the popcorn carts in Magic Kingdom one summer, no you're really nto that crazy!:p

I've been to Disney too many times to count (think it's 83)...and I've been at every possible time of the year, also because I lived in Orlando 3 times. It's going to be hot and the crowds will be huge, but there are always ways to work around that. The crowds that is, not the heat.

Just take full advantage of parade times, extra magic hours in the mornings and evenings, and don't waste your days...if you're at one park and it gets too crowded around say noon, head over to another for a while, do some stuff, and then head right back to where you were for the evening and get some more in.

And my sister has always hated the heat, she just was never good with it...but I think the biggest problem with the heat with your mom will be Animal Kingdom. The 3 other parks are going to be hot too, but it's not like you walk too far before going into another air conditioned attraction. Unlike DAK where there are what...maybe 4 or 5 air conditioned attractions in the entire park.

None the less, enjoy yourself as others have said...it's Disney!:wave:

Upvote 0

shmmrname

It will be crowded, but I really think that's easy enough to circumvent with better daily strategies.

The key for us tends to be hot HOT it is in August. We have decided to use WDW on cooler months for now on.

Upvote 0

COOLKID007

Doombgy,
You're not crazy. August isn't that bad. I've been there 2 times in august, it ain't too bad. I'll tell ya this, it is a really hot time to be there. The best place on a hot day in MK is either Splash Mtn. or Pirates of the Caribbean. It's soooooooooooooooo cool in there! It gotta be at least 40% cooler in there than the 90 degree hot weather. Go to POTC first thing and you'll be really cool.

Upvote 0

RedGear

You are not crazy, you'll be fine!!!

My family has only ever gone to disney during holidays, let re-phrase that. . . only during Chirstmas and Easter, untill I went last year, it was the first time I had ever experianced disney without the massive crowds. . you will be fine, not matter what the crowds are like. You can leave and come back as you please if the crowds annoy you too much. Besides, schools down south go back to school sooner.

If you are crazy, then I am too!!! Woo Hoo!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom