Trip Report *COMPLETED* Aloha...E Komo Mai to Our Aulani Adventure!

Hi Everyone!

Based on the feedback we received during our last trip report, which you can read here, we have decided to write a trip report chronicling our first visit to the Aulani resort in Ko 'Olina, Hawaii. Not sure if this is the place for such a report as it's not WDW-based but figured I'd start here and if it's moved, so be it.

We just returned yesterday afternoon after a terrific eight days in paradise. Amazing to think how quickly things came and went, especially considering we made this reservation using our DVC points seven months ago, but the visit will be one we look back on for a long time. We didn't put together a pre-trip report or anything so here is a short preamble before we dive into all the sunny details.

So...for those of you who read our last report, you may recall that our last visit to WDW was not supposed to happen. Instead, we were 48 hours away from traveling to Honolulu for our second visit to the island. We were booked to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, not Aulani. Less than two days before we were to take off, hurricane Lane hit the Hawaiian islands and our trip was wiped out. Our last minute scrambling allowed us to salvage our vacation and resulted in an unexpected return to the World. That trip was fantastic but we couldn't help feel lousy about missing out on Hawaii.

It was something we looked forward to for months so when we returned from WDW, Kelly and I decided we would try it again, this time focusing on using our DVC points to stay at Aulani. Our plan was to look at an April 2019 visit and as the seven-month window crept closer, we kept a close eye on the availability of a standard view studio. The day finally came that we were able to jump on the DVC site and we were most pleased to snag a studio for a trip from April 6 - 13!

We were pretty jacked up but felt a little guilty revealing to our moms, Ally and Deb, that we were heading back to Hawaii. They were so excited to be going to the islands with us before the hurricane and you could tell they were disappointed not to be included on this trip. Alas, we had a long-awaited beach vacation to look forward to and the added bonus of some Disney magic!

This report might not be as detail-oriented as a typical WDW visit, but we took a lot of pictures and explored the resort as best we could while we were there. Hopefully it gives you a good look into what Aulani has to offer.

Mahalo in advance for reading along. Kelly and I are excited to share our latest trip with you!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Great shots, but,
Oh, Man - Kelly's sunburn looks PAINful! I hope she was able to sleep!
I was going to say the same thing!

HA! I think saying she struggled to get a decent sleep that night and likely the night after would be a MASSIVE understatement. I should have mentioned that while we were at Target, she was quick to seek out a giant bottle of aloe vera. She essentially bathed in it when we got back to the room.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Not trip related but as I am working my way towards running the 2020 Disney World half marathon in January, I ran my first official race today here at home.

The LuluLemon 10k took place this morning and I was very pleased to finish in a personal best time of 55 minutes and 2 seconds!

Lots of training still ahead in the months to come but I’m even more excited for the big race in January!

3897B4A3-699E-422F-8E5D-6201D5F42F1F.jpeg
AB090729-A46D-40FB-AF22-2B00B5D371FD.jpeg

Oh, and we were treated to outstanding donuts upon crossing the finish line!

5EB291C4-F400-40CE-BB11-B42FEEAE1B90.jpeg
DA42EBB0-A8F4-4AD6-A141-7A10C233EFB6.jpeg

Finally, for those following along, you’re likely to hear a lot from us in the next little while. I know I still have to finish up this report but will likely end up starting a pre-trip report for our January trip next weekend. We can book our restaurants on Friday morning so it won’t be long now!

Last edited:

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Not trip related but as I am working my way towards running the 2020 Disney World half marathon in January, I ran my first official race today here at home.

The LuluLemon 10k took place this morning and I was very pleased to finish in a personal best time of 55 minutes and 2 seconds!

Lots of training still ahead in the months to come but I’m even more excited for the big race in January!

View attachment 387446View attachment 387447

Oh, and we were treated to outstanding donuts upon crossing the finish line!

View attachment 387445View attachment 387449

Finally, for those following along, you’re likely to hear a lot from us in the next little while. I know I still have to finish up this report but will likely end up starting a pre-trip report for our January trip next weekend. We can book our restaurants on Friday morning so it won’t be long now!
Way to go!!!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
April 12 - Breakfast by the Beach and our Final Full Day at the Resort

Coming into the trip, Kelly and I had only made the one dining reservation for the character breakfast. As we got a little more familiar with the resort we were really intrigued by the AMA AMA restaurant that over looked the beach and ocean. A few days prior to the 12th we had looked to see if we might be able to sneak in another breakfast reservation to enjoy a meal with a view. Turned out we were able to secure one early on the morning of the 12th so it worked out great.

We were up and at it early to make sure we were showered and ready to head to the restaurant. We made the walk from our room down to the pool level to check in for our meal.

4FCCBD6A-61E1-40CA-AC88-9C34FD95D275.jpeg

We were pretty excited as the view looked fantastic. We were taken to our table pretty quickly and right away we could see there were folks out on the lagoon starting their day with paddle board yoga.

D7E4F9D4-25B1-49D9-AAA4-7D9B68A60C4C.jpeg

We were mesmerized for the first few minutes and there were a few pretty vicious wipeouts which looked a little painful from afar but it seemed like the yogis had no issues getting back at it.

Aside from the view, we loved the table accents that helped to set the tone.
3FEB3498-8F85-4A7C-905F-EF7D0055E0C6.jpeg

Our server was quick to to our drink order and there was absolutely no way I was going to pass up the 100% Kona coffee press pot. Like Kona Cafe at WDW, they market this as a pot for two but since Kelly doesn’t drink coffee I had no issue hoarding it all for myself.

1D24F00E-80DF-47D7-B751-FCA95A2D7C5C.jpeg

As soon as the first cup was poured and the first sip taken I knew I was in heaven. No word of a lie, hands down the BEST coffee I’ve ever had. I savoured every single drop throughout the morning.

We were very glad that we ended up making this reservation. We had yet to order food but were already off to a great start to the morning.

4CEC5A4C-C4B3-4D1A-9C4E-5E1EB12014B5.jpeg

CF4B9A34-BBF4-42CF-B541-FE83AA64CFA3.jpeg

Our meals consisted of Mickey pancakes for the kids, hot oatmeal with mixed berries for me, and Kelly opted for the two eggs with Aulani potatoes and bacon.

While we waited for the food the girls couldn’t help but enjoy the view and the paddle board yoga.
3D8CE0C7-9D56-4E28-ADBA-25CC3D3A5C73.jpeg

The food arrived after a short wait and it was just as good as the rest of the experience to this point.
AE0CB5BB-4356-448B-B8E1-C278E979AE77.jpeg

4BB15D39-F3A6-4BD7-82F4-82EF5F41C90A.jpeg
8295A2CF-A3D8-4652-9276-E1486EC8091C.jpeg

We were all very pleased with our meals. The oatmeal was a perfect way for me to start the day. To me, nothing beats a really good bowl of hot oatmeal and the fresh fruit was an excellent topper to the meal. There was not a scrap of food left on any of our plates by the time we were done and i he completely polished off the press pot of coffee. Yes, I was wired at this point!

We enjoyed the view for a few more minutes as we waited for, and paid, our bill before gathering our stuff and getting ready to head over and find some chairs for the day.

It was closing in on 8 am at this point but still plenty of options for chairs in and around the main pool. What a perfect start to what was looking like another perfect day.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
With breakfast done, we made our way back to the pool deck to find chairs for the day. Wouldn’t you know it, the same chairs we’ve sat in all week were once again available so that’s where we hunkered down for the day.

Thankfully, the wind wasn’t quite as crazy on this day as it was the day before so the staff already had the umbrellas open. Kelly was especially thankful as she needed to do everything she could to keep out of the sun after essentially turning into a lobster the day before.

I sat down on the chairs to save them while Kelly and the kids took advantage of a lonely PhotoPass photographer strolling around the pool area.

2E4D25D0-1629-428C-B742-C4782B1452DD.jpeg
47BEE6CE-B338-40AF-B4AE-4A2E27D4E358.jpeg
1B762328-6316-43A8-9F2F-F50DB3A3C0D3.jpeg
B7FD0D19-395D-4B23-B035-363DF1628210.jpeg
8D490013-F355-4F24-BC20-484BC6931DC7.jpeg

With the early morning photo shoot behind them, we made our way over to the towel tent for our daily wristbands and fresh towels.

Upon reaching the front of the line, we handed out room key to the CM who swiped it and did a quick double take at the screen. He asked “are you guys from Edmonton?”

Surprised, we answered yes and his face lit up. Turned out he had an upcoming trip to Edmonton booked to watch a 21 Pilots concert and tour around the city for a week. I was super surprised that someone from Hawaii would willing choose to come to Edmonton in April when the weather can be absolutely unpredictable but he genuinely seemed very excited.

To the chagrin of those waiting in line behind us, we probably carried on a close to ten minute conversation about what his plans were, placed he should check out, places to avoid, good spots to eat and drink and get a good sense of what the city is all about. Finally, we wished him all he best with his upcoming trip and said our goodbyes before returning to our seats.

With the towels on the chairs, the slides were calling. We raced up and down a number of times before grabbing a quick soak in the hot tub as the sun started to peak over the entire building. Once the pools were in full sun the kids were happy to jump in and swim like crazy.

C1331723-7553-45A9-96C3-AE920BF80BF2.jpeg
371C2132-4ACC-47D5-B6B5-8D8263BF4224.jpeg

Of course, Kelly was happy to show off the guns and prove she’s still stronger than I am.

41809743-8E97-40F8-BF05-4F4A41499206.jpeg

That said, lifting Lennon is like lifting a pillowcase full of feathers so not that impressive a feat.

At any rate, we were really enjoying the last full resort day to this point.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
So, I’ve kinda gone MIA again over the last little bit but Kelly and I just got back from a few days away in the mountains with the kids.

We may have ended up bringing back a new member of the family on our way home.

Everyone, we’re pleased to introduce you to Lily!

3B386E02-EB00-4C3C-9A18-C09E28B41D36.jpeg
C5AF08EF-D400-4453-BCAB-F01C04ED2E04.jpeg
DBC1846A-754C-4305-A469-8FFF03B4832F.jpeg

ECF70769-428B-4003-B533-E9DA294CACD5.jpeg
EAA55B82-AFA5-4915-814E-9C4879C06043.jpeg

While she will never replace our beloved Marty, she will most definitely help fill the void that he created when he sadly left us before last Christmas.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, I’ve kinda gone MIA again over the last little bit but Kelly and I just got back from a few days away in the mountains with the kids.

We may have ended up bringing back a new member of the family on our way home.

Everyone, we’re pleased to introduce you to Lily!

View attachment 390788View attachment 390790View attachment 390792
View attachment 390795View attachment 390796

While she will never replace our beloved Marty, she will most definitely help fill the void that he created when he sadly left us before last Christmas.

Lily looks so sweet! Dogs make the best family members!! 🐶

Oh, I was flipping through TV channels tonight and watched a little bit of Wheel of Fortune. Not sure if it was "live" (or a taped repeat), but anyway, they were broadcasting from Hawaii. They referenced Aulani a few times, and I was trying to figure out if they were actually at Aulani, or just advertising the resort.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Lily looks so sweet! Dogs make the best family members!! 🐶

Oh, I was flipping through TV channels tonight and watched a little bit of Wheel of Fortune. Not sure if it was "live" (or a taped repeat), but anyway, they were broadcasting from Hawaii. They referenced Aulani a few times, and I was trying to figure out if they were actually at Aulani, or just advertising the resort.

Thanks! She really is a very sweet pup. We’ve got our work cut out for us to make her comfortable and train her up but we’re super stoked to have a dog again!

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that Wheel episode! I know when we were in Hawaii, they had just aired an episode of American Idol filmed at Aulani. Picture perfect place to host a special tv show

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Congratulations on the new family member! Very sweet!
Congratulations on the newest family member. She is adorable!
Welcome Lily 😃
Congratulations on the newest family member. She is gorgeous!
Congratulations!! She is too cute!! I love her eyes!!

Thank you all so much! First night was fairly successful I'd say. Plenty of work ahead but she's really making herself at home so far.

What a cute pup!! Beagle, Bassett, or mix? Coloring looks beagle to me but that face shape seems more Bassett hound.

Thanks so much! She's a basset. Far more white in her coat then what Marty had, he was pretty much entirely black/brown, but she has those same long ears and droopy eyes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom