Aloha, Aulani! Aug. 2021 Trip Report

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Donald wants to go on the lazy river. I had to tell him that we are about to leave.
BD441D66-A40A-4CB3-A57E-B0AE51829784.jpeg

4D0843A7-9752-4D5B-984F-2A86E4F677C4.jpeg

KellBelle

I enjoyed this so much! I have been to Hawaii many times, but never to Aulani. It is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your vacation with us!! Safe travels home!

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone.

We just got home. We are tired, but exhilarated from the trip.

Now I have to sort out all the crap... er, stuff that we bought and download all the photos and videos that we took. It'll probably take me a few days to do all this and recover from the trip. I'll post more photos and a few videos of our adventure in Oahu.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Nothing beats like being just in time at the very last minute.

Throughout our stay at Aulani, we kept hearing this music in the elevator of various Disney classic tunes, but sang in Hawaiian. It almost became a game that all of us in the elevator will try to guess what popular tune was playing.

We asked at the store of they carry a CD of those tunes. At the beginning of our stay, we were told that they did, but the CDs sold out very quickly. We were told to look online, which we did. Amazon had no CD in stock, and only had MP3 version of the CD. Nothing else showed up. Even iTunes didn't have it when I tried to search for "Aulani" at that time. (I later found it when I typed in "Mele from Aunty's Beach House", but there was no need to buy it anymore by then.) Besides, I wanted a physical CD to keep as a souvenir.

Dial forward to the very last day that we were there. We had checked out of our room, had our luggage in the car, and just spending the morning and early afternoon at Aulani before we have to leave for the airport. One last visit to one of the gift store and what did we see? The CDs were back in stock! I said that I was looking for this all week. The cast member told us that it came in the day before, and yes, they do get sold out very quickly. So I snapped one!

aulani cd1.jpg

aulani cd2.jpg

So I've been playing this throughout the day since I got back just to prolong the wonderful memories of being at Aulani and on Oahu in general.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I am giving the title of this post as "The Aulani Lobby".

The Auliani Resort is definitely impressive, especially if you pay attention to the details. The lobby is no exception in terms of the design and details, but for me, it wasn't the same awe-impressive feeling that I felt when I walked into the lobby at, say, AKL for the first time. While the Aulani lobby is beautiful, it felt rather small and "short".

When we walked in the first time, there was no sign on where the registration desk was. It is not obvious as to which side of the lobby it is located. Oh sure, you'll get distracted by the view of the open balcony right in front of you, but if you're lugging your bags and looking to check in, it would be nice that there are clear signs to indicate which way you should go. I saw many guests that took the wrong turn and went left, instead of right, to find the registration desk.

So when you first walk in from the main entrance, your eyes are drawn to the open area the overlooks the center of the Aulani grounds.
aulani6.JPG

aulani7.JPG

aulani2.JPG

There was distinctly lack of seats and areas to congregate. I'm guessing that this was due to the pandemic situation. Still, it makes it not conducive as a place to wait for your room to get ready, especially if the weather was hot. The center part of the lobby area, since it was opened to the element, doesn't get the full brunt of any air conditioning.

The lateral direction of the lobby was more impressive, especially if you look up. So this is the side-to-side view of the lobby.
aulani3.JPG

aulani4.JPG

aulani5.JPG

Like I said, there are a lot of amazing designs to the lobby, especially if you look up.
aulani8.JPG

aulani9.JPG

This is the view looking back at the lobby/balcony area from the center grounds (or the koi pond to be exact).
aulani1.JPG

So yeah, it terms of size, it is on par with a typical DVC resort lobby area such as Kidani. But I've been spoiled by the majestic DAK Jambo House lobby and was expecting to be blown away like that. The lack of places to congregate was definitely an issue, and I'm hoping that this is a temporary situation due social distancing, etc.

Zz.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The lack of places to congregate was definitely an issue, and I'm hoping that this is a temporary situation due social distancing, etc.
I'm not an architect, but I think that's an intentional design choice. The expectation is that most people will congregate outside, since the weather is typically much more pleasant than what you get in Orlando.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I'm not an architect, but I think that's an intentional design choice. The expectation is that most people will congregate outside, since the weather is typically much more pleasant than what you get in Orlando.

You're probably correct because I sorta remember an interview with Joe Rohde where he mentioned something to the effect that the outdoor area is the main focus of the building, and that this open air concept is consistent with the way Hawaiian used to live.

I just wish the area was more spacious.

Zz.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You're probably correct because I sorta remember an interview with Joe Rohde where he mentioned something to the effect that the outdoor area is the main focus of the building, and that this open air concept is consistent with the way Hawaiian used to live.

I just wish the area was more spacious.

Zz.
I'm curious, did you find yourself going through the lobby often? We would take our tower's elevator all the way down to the ground floor (for people who haven't been, this is below the lobby level) to go out to the pool/beach/Ulu. The only time we were in the lobby other than check-in and check-out was on our way to the valet stand.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I'm curious, did you find yourself going through the lobby often? We would take our tower's elevator all the way down to the ground floor (for people who haven't been, this is below the lobby level) to go out to the pool/beach/Ulu. The only time we were in the lobby other than check-in and check-out was on our way to the valet stand.

We actually did. We checked the gift stores almost every day, and when we stayed at the 2-bdrm villa, it was in the Ewa tower. When we wanted to get to our vehicle, we had to get to the lobby floor and walked through the lobby to get to the parking ramp.

Zz.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We actually did. We checked the gift stores almost every day, and when we stayed at the 2-bdrm villa, it was in the Ewa tower. When we wanted to get to our vehicle, we had to get to the lobby floor and walked through the lobby to get to the parking ramp.

Zz.
Valet parking is one of the main features I'm keeping my eye on for our trip next year. For cash guests, valet parking and self-parking cost the same, so you might as well do it if you're not staying DVC. I doubt I'd pay for it if I were staying on points, but it's a really well-run service when it's operating.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Valet parking is one of the main features I'm keeping my eye on for our trip next year. For cash guests, valet parking and self-parking cost the same, so you might as well do it if you're not staying DVC. I doubt I'd pay for it if I were staying on points, but it's a really well-run service when it's operating.

We are DVC members and prefer to self-park since it is free. And the route to the shops/strip mall across the street is quicker if you go through the parking ramp (walk all the way down to Level 1 of the parking structure and go out via the street between Aulani and the 4 Seasons).

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom