Alligators

Lilofan

It’s unusual to go golfing in Florida or South Carolina for that matter and not see a gator or more.
Drive on I-95 from GA to FL and beyond and look closely at all the chain linked fences on the sides of the highway. It is a deterrent for gators to get on the roadway but there are instances that the gators climb the barrier. One driver was killed late night on I-95 in SC when she drove across a gator on the road , crashed her vehicle and she passed away.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Dear community,
Does somebody know good spots near Disney where you can see wildlife gators? We'd love to see some while having a break between Park days, and the Everglades are too far away

Obviously if gators don't appear, they won't appear - it's their environment and their choice to come out. With that out of the way, in my experience, these two are the most likely places to see one in the wild. You'll need a car, but they're not TOO far.

1- Magnolia Park, specifically the Lake Apopka side of it - https://www.orangecountyfl.net/CultureParks/Parks.aspx?m=dtlvw&d=26
I believe Friday-Sunday they allow a driving trail though part of it (2 hours), in which you are almost guaranteed to see Alligators.

2- Orlando Wetlands Park - https://www.orlando.gov/Parks-the-Environment/Directory/Orlando-Wetlands

Laura

Premium Member
I’m a little late to this thread but couldn’t resist. Finding and photographing alligators around the Orlando area is one of my top hobbies. I only care about the ones in the wild and have little interest in captive alligators. I’ve been to both of the places @mkt mentioned and can confirm there are gators at both.

Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive is open 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays through Sundays. I’ve driven through many times and always see *tons* of alligators. Some of them lay right on the road you’re driving along.
IMG_2869.jpeg

Orlando Wetlands Park - not as many alligators as Lake Apopka, but still a beautiful place! Lots of people go there to bird watch. There are *tons* of birds. But I went just to look for gators. Saw maybe 4 or 5.
IMG_2870.jpeg

Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland is a little further out, but an epic spot to get up close to some gators. It involves a few miles of hiking (on shaded flat trails), but soooo worth it. You’ll see hundreds. And sometimes you have to step right around them or over them to get down the path lol.
IMG_2872.jpeg

Lastly, the holy grail of alligators is a haul from Disney, in Gainesville. Depends on how much you love alligators. It’s called Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, specifically the La Chua Trail. I’ve never seen so many alligators in my life in such a small area. They just totally cover the side of the trail. You get quite close to them.

IMG_2873.jpeg

For a quick and easy way to see alligators in captivity, you can visit Lost Caverns Adventure Golf on International Drive and they have plenty behind a fence. You can even feed them for 3 bucks.

IMG_2874.jpeg

Laura

Premium Member
I would probably rather see them behind a fence then stepping OVER them on a trail, to be honest. You never know what could happen with that one.
There’s only been about 30 fatalities caused by alligators in Florida in the last 75 years. It’s more dangerous to walk past someone’s pet dog on a trail. As long as you aren’t on the edge of the water, they aren’t generally in the mood to pull you in. Humans are way too big for them to consider a snack. Usually problems arise when someone is walking a small dog or a small child along the edge of the water. Up on trails on the land, it’s like walking past rocks.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I’m a little late to this thread but couldn’t resist. Finding and photographing alligators around the Orlando area is one of my top hobbies. I only care about the ones in the wild and have little interest in captive alligators. I’ve been to both of the places @mkt mentioned and can confirm there are gators at both.

Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive is open 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays through Sundays. I’ve driven through many times and always see *tons* of alligators. Some of them lay right on the road you’re driving along.
View attachment 773874

Orlando Wetlands Park - not as many alligators as Lake Apopka, but still a beautiful place! Lots of people go there to bird watch. There are *tons* of birds. But I went just to look for gators. Saw maybe 4 or 5.
View attachment 773875

Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland is a little further out, but an epic spot to get up close to some gators. It involves a few miles of hiking (on shaded flat trails), but soooo worth it. You’ll see hundreds. And sometimes you have to step right around them or over them to get down the path lol.
View attachment 773876

Lastly, the holy grail of alligators is a haul from Disney, in Gainesville. Depends on how much you love alligators. It’s called Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, specifically the La Chua Trail. I’ve never seen so many alligators in my life in such a small area. They just totally cover the side of the trail. You get quite close to them.

View attachment 773878

For a quick and easy way to see alligators in captivity, you can visit Lost Caverns Adventure Golf on International Drive and they have plenty behind a fence. You can even feed them for 3 bucks.

View attachment 773879
Great photos!! Thanks for sharing. Nothing is as intimate, though, as the time I came home from the club in an Uber to find a "baby" alligator resting on my front door stoop at 1:30 am 🤪 🤪

Laura

Premium Member
Great photos!! Thanks for sharing. Nothing is as intimate, though, as the time I came home from the club in an Uber to find a "baby" alligator resting on my front door stoop at 1:30 am 🤪 🤪
I would die of happy. But also be scared mom was hiding around the corner. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom