Alladin ??

NadieMasK2

The only Aladdin we have seen (on 2 different occasions) was caucasian and about 35 years old! My girls won't go get his autograph because they say he is creepy - ?

beachclubbasics

That's true..if no one applies for the job who is the "right" race or ethnic background, then why should they have to delete the character from the lineup?

However, if you really want to get technical, Pocahontas would have to be between 10-12 years old if you want to be historically accurate.

OneLuckyMom

The kids dont know the difference, to them they are just aladin and jasmine.

My daughter sure does. She has darker skin herself (she's Asian), so she identifies most closely with Jasmine, Mulan and Pocohontas. She has asked me multiple times why the costumed characters at WDW don't have the dark skin they do in the books and movies, like her. :brick:

Lucky

The kids dont know the difference, to them they are just aladin and jasmine.
My 8 year old daughter has never commented or asked about ethnicity or "race" or even skin tone. Her current favorite is Pocahontas. She has playmates of different ethnicities. I educate her about different countries and cultures, but I'm not going to classify her friends for her because I have no idea what culture they and their parents identify with. Sometimes people with the same skin tone or other physical feature turn out to have absolutely nothing else in common. So what's the point of emphasizing skin tone or some other superficial physical feature?

OneLuckyMom

Sometimes people with the same skin tone or other physical feature turn out to have absolutely nothing else in common. So what's the point of emphasizing skin tone or some other superficial physical feature?

It depends on whether your child is in the majority, or minority, most of the time. If your child is in the minority most of the time, they are much more likely to notice skin color and clue into who's "like them" and who's not. They are also more likely to struggle with issues of self-identity. In that case, it's nice to have childhood icons that are "like them" too.

NadieMasK2

Suposedly Aladdin's look is based on Tom Cruise..so that would be fitting...lol. I wondered where the nose came from..lol.

Well, this Aladdin is NO Tom Cruise. He's a little on the plump side. I think he's the only character they have seen that ruins the magic for them, it's just too far of a stretch.

allabtbrdway

how long ago did you see this aladdin?? my best friend is very good friends with aladdin (if that made any sense). So i am just curious.

NadieMasK2

how long ago did you see this aladdin?? my best friend is very good friends with aladdin (if that made any sense). So i am just curious.

Last October and one year before that. But surely there isn't just one Aladdin? :shrug: He wasn't really big, like fat, just not the young handsome street rat you think of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom