All Stars and Pop Century fans unite!

jlsHouston

POP was or first stay at the world, we LOVED it, we will be BACK one day after I try a few more of the properties and there is nothing tacky about it, it is classy in a cheesy sort of way:p

Mr.Skunkape

Once again WDW was built as a family vacation spot so somthing that a 5 year old thinks is neat or fun may not be the same as a 30 year old who wants to sample items at the F&W festival. They have to have a great deal of give and take from all ages personal tastes. Go to Vegas they marked to a mostly all adult crowd and they have some tacky stuff.

YoungNY

My first on site stay was at All Star Sports for my senior class trip in high school, so yes I get what he's saying. It was ok, nothing special and the decorations were entertaining. My second stay was at the POP then Coronado Springs. Of course I loved CS the best, but I really liked the POP. If I had kids I'd choose that one first cause it has a great atmosphere for kids and the price is right. As long as I can afford it, I'd choose a mod or deluxe but the values are great if you just need to get there. Some people just don't realize not everybody was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

mollydtt

There are fun things at the value resorts that might not be so obvious to an adult without kids.
One afternoon, when a big storm was on the way, I talked my daughter (cast member on her day off) into leaving the park and coming back to my room at Sports for a rest and break.
We arrived just as housekeeping was vacuuming my room, so we stayed out and watched a father sitting by the "tennis courts" watching his little son having the time of his life putting his dad's cap on Hughy, then Dewey, running back to his dad in between.

I just hadn't appreciated the possibilities from a 3-year-old's perspective.

The Empress Lilly

I think it is a great top ten. I thoroughly dislike that 90's 'oversized everyday objects' craze. It's not an attack against the absense of taste of budget travellers. It is a protest against peculiar aesthetical preferences that seem limited to Disney designers in a brief period of time. It's not about the hotels, it is about the entire Disney parks imperium - the Anaheim and WDW theme parks just as much as the hotels.

Taking a known object and oversizing it is a shortcut to amazed looks. People invariably stop and stare. But isn't the wonder fleeting? Personally, I think a giant yo-yo is fun once, as are giant country boots, and giant telephone. But I never grow tired of looking at a magical castle or New Orleans balconies.

There is alspo the question of taste. to each his own, but to me giant oversiazed object belongs to the cheap roadside attraction, not a premium resort that sells thematic immersion.

Objects are decoration, not placemaking.

A value resort need to be build and maintained with a lower budget than a luxury resort. But was 'big oversized objects' the best they could come up with? I think Art of Animation and the concept art for Universal's Cabana show what you can do with the same limited budget but more creativity.

TylerFG

I only stayed at POP, and personally, I like it. I'm all for nostalgia really and I like the hotel in general. ESPECIALLY the lobby. :p

kapeman

I think it is a great top ten. I thoroughly dislike that 90's 'oversized everyday objects' craze. It's not an attack against the absense of taste of budget travellers. It is a protest against peculiar aesthetical preferences that seem limited to Disney designers in a brief period of time. It's not about the hotels, it is about the entire Disney parks imperium - the Anaheim and WDW theme parks just as much as the hotels.

Taking a known object and oversizing it is a shortcut to amazed looks. People invariably stop and stare. But isn't the wonder fleeting? Personally, I think a giant yo-yo is fun once, as are giant country boots, and giant telephone. But I never grow tired of looking at a magical castle or New Orleans balconies.

There is alspo the question of taste. to each his own, but to me giant oversiazed object belongs to the cheap roadside attraction, not a premium resort that sells thematic immersion.

A value resort need to be build and maintained with a lower budget than a luxury resort. But was 'big oversized objects' the best they could come up with? I think Art of Animation and the concept art for Universal's Cabana show what you can do with the same limited budget but more creativity.

Hear, hear!!!

Florida_is_hot

I love Pop Century, yes I stay there because it is only $79 a night.

I found that you stay outside to the park you often pay $79 anyway and do not get the free parking (extra $15), magical hours.

Taste.... I am sure I will not lose any sleep if somebody thinks these value resorts a tacky.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Exactly. I have nothing against Pop Century- the rooms are fine and clean, but there is no denying that large, plastic objects are tacky, no matter where they are. There's no way around that.

koryadams

I came across an interesting article about the "big and tacky" era of Disney parks. Giving his top ten worst offenders of this.
http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2010/3/5/the-era-of-big-and-tacky.html
Now for the most part I agreed with this. Especially on the castle cake and Disneyland Tomorrowland. However, he added the All-Star and Pop Century resorts saying;

All-Star Resorts

Pop Century Resorts

and I left a comment saying;

This hit me hard because honestly, while everyone is entitled to their opinions and I'm sure giant coke bottles isn't everyone's thing, how he worded this felt very snobby and demeaning. As if he (and even some of the other comments) were not only offended by this design, but by the very existence of "cheap-o" Disney hotel rooms. Like as if people who can't afford the $200 a night rooms don't deserve to stay on property or something.
Maybe I'm looking too deep into this, but as a man who would much rather stay at the so-called "big and tacky eye sores" that are Pop Century and All-Stars rather than the big, expensive moderate and deluxe hotels, I felt almost like I'm not a real Disney fan for liking these things.
Anyone here agree? Sorry for the rant ^^;
HA! I have stayed at both of these resorts and LOVED seeing the huge icons and it was colorful and FUN! I wonder what he will say about Art of Animation Resort?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom