All Monorail service to Epcot is out of service

disney9752

back to the original post, another site stated a car hit a pylon in epcot parking lot somehow, DUH!!!!:brick: not sure of HOW, but seems it did, thus interuppting service while the pylon & beams were inspected to make sure it was fine.....

juniorthomas

Agreed, the buses have been getting replaced in the last few years, but they need to adopt a fleet that can squeeze more out every gallon of fuel. With the amount of land that disney has, they could grow their own fuel.

I'd hate to be the CM charged with working the gas station.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
cost aside, the issue with monorails is they have one route and if something happens to just one train, the entire loop is down. It doesn't have to be mechanical, it could be a guest puking and the train needs to be washed or a guest needing an ambulance and the train can't move until the EMTs get there and get the person off the train. With boats and busses, there are other options. Boats have multiple docking locations in almost every situation. The only exception are the GF and Poly docks.

Even if they expanded the monorails, they can't really cut the number of buses because when something happens, buses come to the rescue. There have been days rails are down and boats are down for wind/lightning and the buses are there to pick up the slack. They can't just put 60 more buses into operation on a moments notice without the staff or fleet to do so. Even as it is now, in the event of major down time, it takes a while to redeploy buses to the affected area.

Also for the poster who claimed he took the ferry with "thousands of others" the capacity of a FB is 600 and we rarely load that many because it's more efficient to under load it and send it on its way when there are 3 in operation. If people would LISTEN to us when we say go upstairs if you don't have a stroller/wheelchair, loading would be much quicker than it is.

Just my .02

flavious27

cost aside, the issue with monorails is they have one route and if something happens to just one train, the entire loop is down. It doesn't have to be mechanical, it could be a guest puking and the train needs to be washed or a guest needing an ambulance and the train can't move until the EMTs get there and get the person off the train. With boats and busses, there are other options. Boats have multiple docking locations in almost every situation. The only exception are the GF and Poly docks.

Even if they expanded the monorails, they can't really cut the number of buses because when something happens, buses come to the rescue. There have been days rails are down and boats are down for wind/lightning and the buses are there to pick up the slack. They can't just put 60 more buses into operation on a moments notice without the staff or fleet to do so. Even as it is now, in the event of major down time, it takes a while to redeploy buses to the affected area.

Also for the poster who claimed he took the ferry with "thousands of others" the capacity of a FB is 600 and we rarely load that many because it's more efficient to under load it and send it on its way when there are 3 in operation. If people would LISTEN to us when we say go upstairs if you don't have a stroller/wheelchair, loading would be much quicker than it is.

Just my .02

Thanks for the insight!

What I think is unique with Disney Transportation is that there are so many different types of transportation that are used. There is really no silver bullet to solve the needs of wdw, but they can expand on what they use right now. It would be cool to have the friendship boats fleet expanded so that they could also service Caribbean Beach and Pop Century resorts. Expanding the monorail line would be a dream for any disney fan, but the cost would be too great. Instead of a monorail, disney can offer PRTs; this option would offer a new experience for guests. The buses will allows exist but disney can update their propulsion systems while also adding new elements that can entertain guests.

jt04

Just my .02

This is a great case for why the busses will never be eliminated and the drivers should not fear moderization. They should embrace it as it would offer many opportunities IMO.

Thanks for the insight!

What I think is unique with Disney Transportation is that there are so many different types of transportation that are used. There is really no silver bullet to solve the needs of wdw, but they can expand on what they use right now. It would be cool to have the friendship boats fleet expanded so that they could also service Caribbean Beach and Pop Century resorts. Expanding the monorail line would be a dream for any disney fan, but the cost would be too great. Instead of a monorail, disney can offer PRTs; this option would offer a new experience for guests. The buses will allows exist but disney can update their propulsion systems while also adding new elements that can entertain guests.

I can't imagine how tough it was not to use the word "edutainment" here. :lol: I don't mind the word but others..... :rolleyes::lol:

I think there is much more at stake though then just entertaining the guests. It really is about a modern and efficient systems that WDW used to be known for. By making transportation more efficient you create a greater guest experience and increase the likelihood of return trips to WDW. Waiting 45 minutes at your resort to get on a crowded and often rather smelly bus can't help create a good long term impression. I would design a system that greatly reduces such occurances while actually saving money and preserving existing jobs.

jt04

This is a great case for why the busses will never be eliminated and the drivers should not fear moderization. They should embrace it as it would offer many opportunities IMO.

I can't imagine how tough it was not to use the word "edutainment" here. :lol: I don't mind the word but others..... :rolleyes::lol:

I think there is much more at stake though then just entertaining the guests. It really is about a modern and efficient systems that WDW used to be known for. By making transportation more efficient you create a greater guest experience and increase the likelihood of return trips to WDW. Waiting 45 minutes at your resort to get on a crowded and often rather smelly bus can't help create a good long term impression. I would design a system that greatly reduces such occurances while actually saving money and preserving existing jobs.

A magical team of magical gas pump attendants

:lol:

PS -- Oops bumped my own posting.:eek:

flavious27

Well if disney has the path of the prts traveling through the woods and forest areas, there is some great chances to educate guests. :lol:

The wait times need to drop, more buses would help but there will be a capacity glut at non peak times. Using PRTs instead will still have a glut, but less staff is needed for peak and non peak times. Disney can also use the PRTs during non peak times to move cargo and staff around the parks.

jt04

Well if disney has the path of the prts traveling through the woods and forest areas, there is some great chances to educate guests. :lol:

The wait times need to drop, more buses would help but there will be a capacity glut at non peak times. Using PRTs instead will still have a glut, but less staff is needed for peak and non peak times. Disney can also use the PRTs during non peak times to move cargo and staff around the parks.

I think I actually dreamed of the PRT system moving silently through the tops of the pines at Fort Widerness because the picture is very vivid in my mind. :lookaroun :lol:

I think they have to keep some resorts on a bus system just to have that capacity but yeah, sooner or later PRT seems to be the future.

s8film40

back to the original post, another site stated a car hit a pylon in epcot parking lot somehow, DUH!!!!:brick: not sure of HOW, but seems it did, thus interuppting service while the pylon & beams were inspected to make sure it was fine.....

This was not the reason for the Epcot line being closed this time. This did happen several months back sounds like the stories might be getting confused.

flavious27

I think I actually dreamed of the PRT system moving silently through the tops of the pines at Fort Widerness because the picture is very vivid in my mind. :lookaroun :lol:

I think they have to keep some resorts on a bus system just to have that capacity but yeah, sooner or later PRT seems to be the future.

I see both systems working in tangent, some people will not like the personal nature of the prts or wait for another one while a bus is sitting still. Also, the buses will probably be slightly faster. But the PRTs can offer some great views, be quieter, and just have that cool factor.

parkgoer

I really don't know if I would be surprised if in another 20 years there is no monorail in WDW.

Eventually the Mark VI's will need to either be completely replaced or go through a serious overhaul. I'm not sure what the per train cost would be now to completely replace the fleet, but I believe the Mark VI was somewhere around 6 million per train. That was over 20 years ago. I just don't know if i see TDO paying 72 million for a new fleet in this day and age, let alone however much it would cost now.

Being a HUGE monorail fan, I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that when the time comes, if WDW can get away with just using buses and boats exclusively and if it would be cheaper than buying a new monorail fleet, they'll just tear it down. All they would need is more buses and boats to make up for the lost monorail capacity. Then again, I'm sure Disney loves the fact that they can charge more for hotels on the monorail line, but I'm sure they'd still be able to justify those prices with just boat service and proximity to MK alone.

Also, those concrete beams aren't going to last forever. If there is ever a situation where they would need to be replaced, I doubt they would want to spend that money to replace or fix the beams if they can get away with using another, cheaper, mode of transportation.

I really never thought eliminating the monorail at WDW was a possibly, but with the way the company operates these days, I just don't know where they draw the line. Like I said, I hope I'm just being crazy and overreacting and that I'm way wrong on this one. Please let that be the case....haha.

edwardtc, what are your thoughts? You seem to have a pretty good handle on stuff like this, especially with regard to concrete, more specifically the lifespan of something like a monorail beam.

they are undergoing major overhauls, with orange and lime being complete. on a side note, the "train 12" cars are currently undergoing refabrication and one of the "new" cabs is now in the paint room sitting on the beam in the Magic in Motion shop behind the magic kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom