All Epcot F&W Bottle Purchases MUST go through pickup!

jessfriends

Last year during the festival I bought 4 bottles of wine from the festival center and they boxed them up with tissue paper in cardboard boxes. I carried them all out of the park and then back to my resort without any problems (other than my arms were very sore). I wanted to have them with me as I needed to pack them to see what room I had left and I didn't want to wait for hours to pick them up as it was a last minute decision.

DisneyDebRob

This is a good idea in all respects. It would only take one drunk guest buying a bottle and opening it on the way out of the festival center or worse yet smashing the bottle.
They do need signs letting people know this though.

Nubs70

Let's say the purpose of your groups visit is to get liqoured up. You can all pitch in on a bottle then consume in park and achieve your objective. The objective is completed for the margin on said bottle.

If you cannot consume purchased bottle, each must consume purchased single servings at much higher margin.

What makes more money:
  1. 5 people getting hammered on 1 - $50 bottle of tequila.
  2. 5 people getting hammered on 4 margaritas each at $14 a piece?

ArtificialArtist

As recently as 2012, I bought a bottle in the Festival Center, had it signed by the winemaker and took it with me from the building. I've never had to pick one up at the gate.

The reason why you could take it with you in 2012 and why the OP and her family couldn't take any wine with them (through the park) in 2014 is a simple one.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...and-begins-adding-signs-at-park-entrances.htm

They added a 'no glass' policy to their park rules this year (or tightened it?). Most wines are bottled in glass.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

Hope this clears up the confusion! :)

fillerup

The reason why you could take it with you in 2012 and why the OP and her family couldn't take any wine with them (through the park) in 2014 is a simple one.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...and-begins-adding-signs-at-park-entrances.htm

They added a 'no glass' policy to their park rules this year (or tightened it?). Most wines are bottled in glass.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

Hope this clears up the confusion! :)

I posted my 2012 bottle buying experience because someone said this rule had been in effect for 10 years when clearly it has not.

No confusion here at all.

jaklgreen

This is just bad show on Disney's part! If I worked there I would have myself or found someone (maybe a strong guy ;)) to carry them up for you if they did not want to carry them yourself. I have not purchased wine from the festival center but I have from Canada and I was given a bottle one year at the PFTS that I did not finish that they let me walk out with. If this is a new policy then they need signage and ways to help people like you who are on their way out.

Bolt

This is just bad show on Disney's part! If I worked there I would have myself or found someone (maybe a strong guy ;)) to carry them up for you if they did not want to carry them yourself. I have not purchased wine from the festival center but I have from Canada and I was given a bottle one year at the PFTS that I did not finish that they let me walk out with. If this is a new policy then they need signage and ways to help people like you who are on their way out.
There are now signs when you enter the park, so you're in luck.

jaklgreen

I meant there should be signs at the festival center where they sell the wine. The OP said there were no signs by the wine. Nobody stops on their way into the park to read the sign of "rules". LOL

DisneyMom51

Original Poster
Have you told them?
Absolutely! I told the two Castmembers at the register, the Castmember at the Guest Relations booth at the bottom of the entrance ramps inside the Festival Center, and then another Castmember (who looked like a manager-type but wasn't) I saw when exiting the Festival Center on the outside ramp. After speaking with the Castmembers at the register I asked them to summon a manager/supervisor and although they did, during the 15 minutes I spent waiting for one, they never showed--even though they were called several times.

DisneyMom51

Original Poster
I just read the article regarding new signage up at the entrances to the Disney World theme parks. If this is the one you're referring to, the link doesn't mention anything regarding the purchase of bottles of alcohol within the parks. If you or anyone else has a picture of the new signs that reference this, I would appreciate you posting it. Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

You guys are missing the point. I own several liquor bars and know the law. It's not about glass bottles. Disney is required to check ID at each transaction. By allowing someone to wonder through the park with a bottle would make them liable if a person under 21 obtains a bottle and consumes a drink. Sadly enough there are parents out there that would allow the child to "try" the beverage. This is simply a way of controlling an issue before it starts.

How many people on this forum "tried" a drink before you were 21??

DisneyMom51

Original Poster
You guys are missing the point. I own several liquor bars and know the law. It's not about glass bottles. Disney is required to check ID at each transaction. By allowing someone to wonder through the park with a bottle would make them liable if a person under 21 obtains a bottle and consumes a drink. Sadly enough there are parents out there that would allow the child to "try" the beverage. This is simply a way of controlling an issue before it starts.

How many people on this forum "tried" a drink before you were 21??
Have you ever been to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival? If not, there are alcohol beverages in open containers sold at each marketplace kiosk (over 30) and not only were we not carded for any alcohol purchases (I must admit though we are not of the age that one would typically worry about checking one's ID), one is allowed to walk throughout the park with an open alcohol beverage wherever they want. Additionally, one can purchase up to two alcohol drinks per person per transaction and a beer flight of FOUR drinks only counts as ONE.

ArtificialArtist

As a German, i must say it's a little entertaining to read how alcohol in open containers would be such a big thing.
I walked through Epcot with one of those plastic cups they give you and i didn't see any problem with it.
There's no label on it and it's a 'fluid' like an other drink. Needless to say it feels weird just having a drink anywhere in the US.
Our laws on alcohol are very different, though, in terms of usage, people over here in general seem to be more relaxed and mature about consumption. So having tight laws on alcohol does not seem to be very effective, in contrary, it incriminates.

To get back on topic, i like Epcot's policy on alcohol. I can also agree with the 'no glass' policy, as broken glass is more of a hazard to others than any plastic cup.
However, if they offer glass-bottled wine inside the park they should also come up with a convenient way to collect these without making it complicated for the customer. This is where Epcot lacks innovation.

PhotoDave219

FYI. Silver Oak is back in stock and retailing for $55 a bottle.

This normally retails online anywhere between 55 and 65 bottle. Plus shipping.

Bairstow

Let's say the purpose of your groups visit is to get liqoured up. You can all pitch in on a bottle then consume in park and achieve your objective. The objective is completed for the margin on said bottle.

If you cannot consume purchased bottle, each must consume purchased single servings at much higher margin.

What makes more money:
  1. 5 people getting hammered on 1 - $50 bottle of tequila.
  2. 5 people getting hammered on 4 margaritas each at $14 a piece?

It's not just about making money- it's about controlling guest behavior-

Sure, anyone of the legal drinking age COULD get drunk at the festival, but most won't attempt it because of the cost. As you pointed out, most people are looking at a $50 investment just to party.

On the other hand, if I could just buy and open the $26 handle of Vikingsfjord vodka from Norway and a couple large sprites, we're in business for a fraction of the cost.

In fact, that was my plan last April before I learned of the policy.

If it weren't so expensive to get drunk at Disney EPCOT, more people would do it.

I know I would have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom