All By Myself (Sort of…) – A Solo Summer Trip Report

A Little Background Info

I just got back from the World last week and as the title of this report suggests, it was my first ever solo trip. I had a work conference from July 23rd to 29th in Orlando so I decided that I may as well stay a couple extra days to enjoy WDW. My work was paying for my flights to and from Orlando so it would be stupid of me not to extend my trip, right?! I also have an annual pass this year so it was like my park admission was free! Hahaha Well, it’s not really free but it sure feels like it when I can come and go as much as I please with an AP! I asked my husband, Wes, if he wanted to go with me but he said that twice a year was enough for him so he would pass. See, we were just in WDW in February for the Princess Half Marathon and we are going back in November with my family. So my solo trip makes 3 trips for me this year! As much as I love Disney, I realize that 3 times is a little much so I was okay with the hubby not joining me.

I wasn’t sure about going alone so I tried to talk my friend who went with me in September 2010 but she is in Grad school so she couldn’t come. Then I asked my Mom if she would want to join me but she wasn’t interested in fighting off the summer crowds and heat. So it looked like I was flying solo for this one.

Now all of my co-workers know how much I love WDW so when I told them that I was going to extend my stay after conference to go to WDW and that I would be available as a tour guide, one co-worker said she would love for me to show her family around. So the (Sort of…) in the title refers to the fact that one day of my trip, I was not solo but I was a tour guide to a family of 4!

The Details

Who: Just me, Ashley, 26

IMG_2585.jpg

That’s me, behind the gorilla, on my Feb 2012 trip

When: July 30 – August 1

Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

Now enough with introductions and on with the trip report!

Monday July 23rd to Sunday July 29th – Work Conference Pre-Disney

As I mentioned, the main reason for this trip was because of a work conference that would require me being in Orlando from July 23rd through the 29th. I packed up my luggage and was ready to head to Orlando!

IMG_0309.jpg

I flew down to Orlando with 3 other co-workers which was nicer than flying alone. We arrived in Orlando and I led the way through the airport. I was so sad not to be going straight to the DME counter like I usually do. Instead, we had to go to baggage claim and actually pick up our own bags. Boo.

I won’t share all the details of my work conference but there are a few Disney related things worth mentioning so just stick with me on this. :) I checked in to my room and was very impressed with the view.

IMG_0311.jpg

Our conference was at the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes and it was a beautiful hotel. My first night at the hotel I went to bed really early since I was so exhausted from the day's activities. It was a little after 10pm and I thought the room felt really hot so I got up to check the balcony door to make sure that I had shut it all the way earlier that day. I know that sometimes the air conditioning doesn’t work properly if that door isn’t shut. So when I went to go check the door, I saw fireworks off in the distance. Could it be Disney’s fireworks?! I got on my phone and checked TouringPlans.com and sure enough the MK was scheduled to show Wishes at 10pm. I was pretty sure these must be them but I still wasn’t sure since I didn’t even know which direction I was looking. So I looked at Google Maps and WDW was directly to my west. I then used my Compass app and, sure enough, I was looking right at WDW! The next morning I looked out my window in the direction where I saw the fireworks and I could see Bay Lake Tower, the Contemporary and Space Mountain. A little to the left, I could also see Spaceship Earth! I was beyond thrilled of this new found view!

IMG_3212.jpg

BLT_Cont_SM.jpg

zoomed in on BLT, Contemporary and Space Mountain

SSE.jpg

zoomed in on Spaceship Earth

Two other nights during the conference portion of my trip I was able to be in my room at 10pm and watch Wishes from my room! I played the Wishes soundtrack while I watched and I actually did a pretty good job of syncing up the music to the fireworks! It was such a nice little touch of Disney while I was away from home, without my husband and so close to my mini-vaca at WDW.

You can see the un-zoomed view from my room of the fireworks off in the distance. The picture does not do them justice. They didn’t seem as far away in real life.

IMG_3219.jpg

flipadeeflop

thanks! hahaha i am excited to take some more peeking out pictures in nov. i am the same way about doing things alone. i much prefer to have company so traveling to wdw alone was a huge milestone for me. i am so proud of myself for my solo trip since i never would have thought that i would be able to enjoy wdw by myself. the thing i was most worried about was meals since i feel kind of weird eating alone but it really wasn't bad. i actually really enjoyed my solo meal at casey's corner. i wouldn't recommend a solo trip over a trip with family or friends but it was a good experience! and if i can do it, you can do it! :D

Yes! Peeking-out-pictures will have to be your "trashcan" objective next trip! I would feel weird about eating alone, too. And I was thinking about when you said you went to TTA and it was closed and I was thinking "OMG what would I do... just STAND there!? Turn around awkwardly?! Quickly find a place to sit down and try to figure out where to go next!? AHHH" It stressed me out even though it didn't happen to me haha!

Blueskyze

I'm not sure how I missed your TR before, but I had a great time reading it this morning! I loved that you spent time walking around and taking pics at AK, that is the perfect park for that! I also just noticed those cool lanterns on my last trip! :)

Major props to you for being such a great tour guide! I'm not sure I would have held it together so well. Thanks for the laughs, and for all the great pics!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Yes! Peeking-out-pictures will have to be your "trashcan" objective next trip! I would feel weird about eating alone, too. And I was thinking about when you said you went to TTA and it was closed and I was thinking "OMG what would I do... just STAND there!? Turn around awkwardly?! Quickly find a place to sit down and try to figure out where to go next!? AHHH" It stressed me out even though it didn't happen to me haha!

i'm really excited to take more peeking out pictures. we just started taking those pictures on our february trip so i was sad when i couldn't take them this trip. but its now 86 days until i am back in wdw and can start taking some of those pictures! :D

Your pictures are amazing and I love your report, thanks for sharing it.

thanks! i'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm not sure how I missed your TR before, but I had a great time reading it this morning! I loved that you spent time walking around and taking pics at AK, that is the perfect park for that! I also just noticed those cool lanterns on my last trip! :)

Major props to you for being such a great tour guide! I'm not sure I would have held it together so well. Thanks for the laughs, and for all the great pics!

thanks! it was nice to get to spend some more time in ak taking pictures. i normally don't spend much time in ak and am running from one attraction to the next so getting to walk through at a leisurley pace was really nice.

thank you! it was a challenge but it was fun. thanks for reading!

ctosh

i just got caught up.. It's a great report..I know what you mean a being a tour guide.. I planned our trip last year.. We had 16 people in all.. I did it all from booking the rooms, ADR's to tickets. I was worried that someone was going to hate it but It was a blast. Would I do it again ...NO!!!
Our next trip will be 2wks and I have desided to spend one day taking photos.
So what was on you list that you left at home??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom