Alien Encounter vs. SGE

PagingTomMorrow

Fenway_Josh said:
I have not been to Disney in about 3 years. Last time I went I remember going on Alien Encounter and loving it! Now, to my dismay, I hear that it's been replaced with Stiches Great Escaped and have not read a single positive review about it. My question is this: The Disney Suits must know that the public isn't too happy, so have there been plans to maybe add a bit more scare to it? Or even perhaps dust off the old animatronics and bring back the original Alien Encounter? I always thought that "ride" was worth half the price of addmission.

i was always too scared to go on stuff like that but now that im into stuff like that i find out its gone forever! :cry:

BigNorm

Never cared for AE, but I really enjoyed SGE. Thought the new SIR, Sarge, was a bit corny, but for the most part my g/f and I enjoyed it. My parents on the other hand lamented the loss of AE. They liked it better than SGE, but I never cared for AE and enjoyed SGE much more.

imagineer99

It's really easy to look at something like Alien Encounter, in hindsight, and declare something like "Stich" a complete failure. Sure, we love to remember the good, but I also seem to recall the bad...

I was never a big fan of AE (I know that we have a diehard faithful here), and my reasons are simple. Mainly, I think it was in the wrong park. It would have been MUCH better suited in MGM-Studios, as both a special effects expose and a tribute to sci-fi movies. In the Magic Kingdom, the majority of guests expect fantasy and wonder, so despite the marketing efforts, kids and adults alike would jump on to the attraction. The result? A lot of screaming and crying.

I really appreciate the imagination that went into the original show, however, I feel as if poor planning and bad word of mouth ultimately led to its demise. I honestly never considered it to be anything mindblowing.

So, with the arrival of Stich's Great Escape, my feelings are apathetic. Do I think the show could be better? HECK YES! Do I think it's a horrible attraction? Not really. I've seen better. I've seen worse. The stitch animatronic and the "canons" alone make it worthwile.

I guess my point is this: I think we should recognize reality. Alien Encounter was destroyed not to inflame the Disney faithful. It was done because the MAJORITY of guests just didn't like it all that much. Although, the transition to Stitch has been mostly "miss," it is important to understand that it's hard to balance a show that it is scary and funny at the same time, not to mention entertaining for a wide age group.

In the end, my best advice is to stick it out. We're never getting AE back. PERIOD. :wave:

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
It is important to understand that it's hard to balance a show that it is scary and funny at the same time,

I thought AE balanced that out perfectly. And that's one of the reasons I liked it so much, I know that is really hard to do in all forms of entertainment.

imagineer99 said:
not to mention entertaining for a wide age group.

That's the kicker. I don't think you can have an attraction like that for a wide age group. And that was one of my biggest complains when I heard of the SGE plans. It seemed like Disney knew that the majority of the people who saw AE, IF NOTHING ELSE, were very impressed with the binural sound technology and the other effects used. So they wanted to keep the best parts of AE and add a more family storyline. They tried to have their cake and eat it too. But I knew that it would take a minor miracle for Disney to pull this off. And I think I was right. It would have been much better off if Disney would have started from scratch for a Stitch so, IMO.

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
In the end, my best advice is to stick it out. We're never getting AE back. PERIOD. :wave:

Surely everyone knows this. I think there is just alot of wishful thinking here :lol:

Logan5

ae and stich

It would have been much better off if Disney would have started from scratch for a Stitch so, IMO.

agreed....

stich is awful.....

and i realy dont see it there for longer then a half a decade...

they took an "orginal"attraction.... Not a movie tie in.....

And replaced with a stitch commercial...

The fact is children get scared in snow white children get scared in pirates, children get scared in the haunted mansion....
those have not been changed as drasticly as alien encounter

LSUxStitch

I never really cared for AE besides the first time. SGE the first time I thought wasnt the greatest, but after seeing the tweaked version I enjoy it a lot more. PLUS I get to see the real stitch and not the 5 foot one walking around the park :D

JJHale

We just returned from WDW last week and I saw SGE for the first time. Is it horrible? Not in my opinion. Is it an "E-Ticket" Absolutely not. I found it an amusing diversion type of attraction. Great use of animatronics but it needs a better storyline. The second half of the show seems directionless, just a series of gross out gags and random special effects. The Stitch animatronic is amazing but the show needs more.

And is anyone else tired of the Stitch wake-up calls? PLEEEEASE - bring back the old Mickey wake up!

imagineer boy

Logan5 said:
The fact is children get scared in snow white children get scared in pirates, children get scared in the haunted mansion....
those have not been changed as drasticly as alien encounter

Agreed. I see kids go bezerk on those rides. I don't see what makes AE any different. I personally think that since it was in the MK, thay should've had an age limit. That would've prevented alot of the complaints.

imagineer99

imagineer boy said:
Agreed. I see kids go bezerk on those rides. I don't see what makes AE any different. I personally think that since it was in the MK, thay should've had an age limit. That would've prevented alot of the complaints.

The talk of an "age limit" (for any attraction) is rediculous. How does age define maturity? Moreover, how do you enforce an age limit? Check ID's for all the four year olds? You know, because most kids keep their ID's with them all the time. ;)

How are AE and SGE different than the "Snow Whites" of the Magic Kingdom? The answer I think is pretty clear. The format of the AE show is very unorthodox. Sure a witch may scare little kids. But watching as "restraints" lower on top of you just to watch a show, is not only intimadating for kids, it's even scary for adults. There is an internal fear with binural effects that other dark rides just don't have.

What's more metally frightening for a kid? Having a animatronic ghost pop out? Or having a brutal monster breath hot air down you neck? They are two different types of fears, the latter being much more internal and intense--especially for the younger set. Hence, why I think the attraction would have been much better in MGM studios, a park that with ToT and Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, already caters to a more mature audience.

Connor002

imagineer99 said:
The format of the AE show is very orthodox.

I think you ment to say that the format is very unorthodox.

orthodox- following the established or traditional rules of a political or religious belief, a philosophy, or a way of life

unorthodox- failing to follow conventional or traditional beliefs or practices

hermione48135

SGA was one of the stupidest ride that disney as maded in a long time. I mean i rode the ride and i all most fell a sleep. If this is the best disney can do they have a long way.

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
Hence, why I think the attraction would have been much better in MGM studios, a park that with ToT and Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, already caters to a more mature audience.

In hindsight, I definatley wish it would have been placed at MGM because it still would be up and running right now. But it just fit the theme of the New Tomorrowland so well. It was the centerpiece of the whole land and it was sorta the glue that held the concept together. The attraction by itself might not have fit into the typical Magic Kingdom mold, but it was perfect for the New Tomorrowland, IMO. I wish I could go back to the Magic Kingdom in 1996 for one more day :lol:

imagineer99

Connor002 said:
I think you ment to say that the format is very unorthodox.

orthodox- following the established or traditional rules of a political or religious belief, a philosophy, or a way of life

unorthodox- failing to follow conventional or traditional beliefs or practices

Yes, it's called a typo. My bad.

LSUxStitch

hermione48135 said:
SGA was one of the stupidest ride that disney as maded in a long time. I mean i rode the ride and i all most fell a sleep. If this is the best disney can do they have a long way.

Stupidest ride? I dont think Stupidest is a word nor do I think Stitch is considered a "ride" :animwink: hah.

Long Live Stitch!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom