Alien Encounter questions

JEDI1138

Originally posted by mkt
that doesn't mean they follow it. When I was a junior in HS and I worked Tomorrowland Attractions we had shows with like 30 guests in it before... Hell.. I specifically remember 1 show with 7 guests.

They were referring to operational seats vs. non operation seats, not the number of guests that just happen to be available for a show.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Originally posted by JEDI1138
They were referring to operational seats vs. non operation seats, not the number of guests that just happen to be available for a show.

I know this.... I was just stating this as an example to isnet

woofboy111

If you don't want to know how the Skippy effect is done, don't read this post, otherwise I think you'll find this website helpful...

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/propframe.html

It's a halloween website, but It's the same idea. Skippy is in the tube (or above the table on that website). The smoke fills the chamber, and skippy is lowered below out of the tube (or under the table).

As for the cast member/robot with the flash light debate... I'm not 100% sure, but based on people what people have said, I would guess it's a cast member.

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by woofboy111
As for the cast member/robot with the flash light debate... I'm not 100% sure, but based on people what people have said, I would guess it's a cast member.

I can confirm that it's a CM.... for the sole reason that for 4 months.. I was that CM.

Brer Tiger

But..what now is to become of Skippy? and SIR? ::( ...maybe skippy can become another "experimet" and become like...a friend of Stich! haha, if they arn't gonna use the skippy puppet...they can send it to me :)

Sir Hiss527

When the CM is up there, is he talking at all? Or is that part of the ride? Is he following a script at all? Or is that the ride? I really quite new how Skippy worked, I thought they just lowered him, and the other one raised. Btw how much did SIR cost?

funky_shao

Cm doesn't talk, to my knowledge. I've done an immediate consequent ride-through and heard the exact same voice/script. SIR is an A-100 series so he woulda cost one gillion dollars! (mm.... quite a lot ! :slurp: ).
On a serious note, I'm guessing that it's quite expensive because in every attraction containing animatronics, there's really only one A-100. For example, Hopper in Tough to be a Bug, SIR in alien encounter, etc. But hey, I could be wrong!

Have a nice day!

prberk

Originally posted by funky_shao
Cm doesn't talk, to my knowledge. I've done an immediate consequent ride-through and heard the exact same voice/script. SIR is an A-100 series so he woulda cost one gillion dollars! (mm.... quite a lot ! :slurp: ).
On a serious note, I'm guessing that it's quite expensive because in every attraction containing animatronics, there's really only one A-100. For example, Hopper in Tough to be a Bug, SIR in alien encounter, etc. But hey, I could be wrong!

Have a nice day!

What is an "A-100," and what does the phrase mean?

raven

Originally posted by doombuggie
Skippy in fact moves down...there are mirrors underneath the tubes set in an angle such as a box to hide where he goes and to look liike it is only supported by those little tubes. I f tyou look at the water bubbles in the tubes they are exact "in" tyhe mirror.

You are correct! The Mirror is placed at a 45º agle from the other one. This makes you think that you can see under Skippy's tube when in fact you are seeing a relection of another area. Once again the matching bubbles with give it away. The reason you cannot see the the mirror's possition is because there are angles in the platform where the bubble tubes are at the same angle as the mirror. Also you can only get so close to the effect because of the railing. If you were to get closer, you could walk up to the bubble tube and see your reflection.

There are other examples of this at WDW. One of them is in Journey Into Imagination. Look at the bird cage with the butterfly in it. First it isn't there then it is. This is dont the same way except that the mirror's edge is hidden behind the center rail of the cage. The mirror is double sided and you see and empty swing on one side of the mirror and a "half" a butterfly one you pass it. The other half of the butterfly is the reflection. You will notice that the swing has a line right in the middle. This is where the mirror is.

Another one is in the Tower of Terror but this one uses the 'Peppers Ghost" theory. The first stop when the doors open look as if you are seeing down the hallway. If you look at the floor in the hallway you will see a line that runs at a 45º angle. This is a 2-way mirror. The hallway you actually see is off to one side of the mirror but the angle makes it look as if you can see straight down the hall. The reason why it is a 2-way mirror is because the effects are placed behind it. When they light up (people, window, etc) you are seeing their image through the mirror as well as the reflected image of the hallway. This gives the image behind the mirror a ghostly effect.

Other mirror/glass effects similar to this "Pepper's Ghost" theory are the ballroom scene in the Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh's dream scene in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the decent of Spaceship Earth also uses this technique when you see people talking to each other. The reflected image is actually a reflection of something above you.

Glad I could clear this one up. My father is a magician and I am a special effect artist for live theatre so it's easy (and fun) to figure out some of these magical effects.

Look here for an axample of the Pepper's Ghosts.
http://www.rjsoap.com/pepperghost.html

Fantasmic

The two stretching rooms, and the room with the portrait of master gracey (the onw that changes into a skeleton) form a hidden mickey on the blue prints ! :)

GoofyMagic

As a comment for the AE Skippy disappearing method, I guess I was lucky in figuring this out, because I'm a magician, and I knew right away when I saw it where he went, also because it's almost identical to an illusion that I own and perform, but uses a different technique. Disney uses so many magic techniques, but unfortunately has no magic shows or shop anymore :( However, just recently I discovered they're selling Disney Magic Kits with some neat tricks in them! Interesting to know for the magic fans out there...

AJ

donald23

I always thought that the flashlight was kind of like a robot thing hooked on a track. Because when I looked up I noticed little LED lights where the flashlight light was shining from.

mkt

Premium Member
the LED lights were the helmet the CM wore when he was on the catwalk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom