Ale & Compass

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I’d like to check out Ale& Compass, and have generally heard good things, however, I just read a post online about how it might be the worst on property. Has anyone been there recently? How would you rate it? Has anyone tried the short ribs? Thanks!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I’d like to check out Ale& Compass, and have generally heard good things, however, I just read a post online about how it might be the worst on property. Has anyone been there recently? How would you rate it? Has anyone tried the short ribs? Thanks!
We have eaten and Ale & Compass three times. Two of the three times were great and the other, the service was so so. We love the short ribs and get them every time.

MagicRat

The breakfast is popular because of the added buffet you can eat with your meal for a small price but it is all horrible. I have never tried the dinner but the breakfast is just bad and you can have a lot of it!

christine7257

We've always enjoyed the food there and have eaten there quite a bit as we often stay at the Yacht Club. We like the breakfast (usually have the omelet) and think the burger is one of the best on property. Oh and the Parker House rolls appetizer is terrific. What we've found very inconsistent is the overall service operations. Some of it may have to do with conventions or maybe that they're also fulfilling to-go orders. The cast members have all been very nice and well-intentioned but sometimes the seating is running far behind reservation times or food can be very slow out of kitchen. And other times it's all fantastic.

Imhere

The breakfast is popular because of the added buffet you can eat with your meal for a small price but it is all horrible. I have never tried the dinner but the breakfast is just bad and you can have a lot of it!
Yeah, we got talked into this buffet add on too.

Worst collection of buffet food we've experienced on property.

I honestly don't see what Ale & Compass has going for it.

It's kind of like a glorified hotel coffee shop that you only go to if you have to.

WorldExplorer

I've been there a ton. My last time was mid-December.

I've never had anyone in my family say anything bad about the food. Once or twice the service wasn't the best, but not so bad it made me not want to go again. The seafood pot pie they have on the dinner menu has been my default birthday dinner for all the years I've been down here.

I like it a lot.

Fair warning: if you order the burger, it might not actually fit in your mouth.

cbarry26

We've never had a bad meal or bad experience at Ale & Compass. Even went there for Thanksgiving dinner this year.

The seafood pot pie is delicious. So is the flatbread, truffle fries, protein bowl and the delicious rolls! If you're a grown-up drinker, try the Maple Old Fashioned.

Phonedave

We ate dinner there last June (2023). It was good enough that I don't recall anything being bad.

I do recall everybody in our part of 5 (me, my wife, and my 3 mostly-adult kids) liked the rolls a lot. My one daughter is gluten free and they gave her a LOT of GF rolls. Of course they were not the same as the Parker House rolls, but they were pretty good and she was in her glory.

Everybody was happy with their food. I do recall somebody getting short ribs. But short ribs are hard to screw up.

We did have a bit of a wait for our table, past our reservation time, but we all hung out in the lounge for 20 minutes or so, and had a drink. After that service was just fine.

Eric Graham

We ate dinner there last June (2023). It was good enough that I don't recall anything being bad.

I do recall everybody in our part of 5 (me, my wife, and my 3 mostly-adult kids) liked the rolls a lot. My one daughter is gluten free and they gave her a LOT of GF rolls. Of course they were not the same as the Parker House rolls, but they were pretty good and she was in her glory.

Everybody was happy with their food. I do recall somebody getting short ribs. But short ribs are hard to screw up.

We did have a bit of a wait for our table, past our reservation time, but we all hung out in the lounge for 20 minutes or so, and had a drink. After that service was just fine.
Funny, you say it's hard to screw up short ribs. I've had ribs here at Texas Roadhouse, and they did screw them up. They were absolutely awful.

Phonedave

Funny, you say it's hard to screw up short ribs. I've had ribs here at Texas Roadhouse, and they did screw them up. They were absolutely awful.

I am talking about braised beef short ribs. I don't think Texas Roadhouse has those. I looked at their online menu and they just have "slabs of ribs" I assume pork ribs - either spare ribs or back ribs.

Eric Graham

I am talking about braised beef short ribs. I don't think Texas Roadhouse has those. I looked at their online menu and they just have "slabs of ribs" I assume pork ribs - either spare ribs or back ribs.
My wife makes a very delicious recipe for pork ribs in the crock pot...she marinades them overnight....not sure if I exactly know what braised beef short ribs are, only baby back or spare ribs.

Phonedave

My wife makes a very delicious recipe for pork ribs in the crock pot...she marinades them overnight....not sure if I exactly know what braised beef short ribs are, only baby back or spare ribs.

Short ribs are beef ribs. For braised short ribs they are normally individual ribs cut across the bone into roughly 2" long pieces. You can also get a flanken cut, which is multiple ribs, cut across the bone into thinner strips. That is not normally used for a braise (but is very common for Korean BBQ)

For braised short ribs you braise them (or crock pot them) in a flavorful braising liquid. Typical braising liquids have beef stock, red wine, a tomato product, a mirepoix, and seasoning (bay leaf is popular for some unknow reason).

It is common to coat the ribs in flour, and then sear them off in the same pan you will be braising them in. This both sears the ribs as well as creating a sort of roux that thickens the braise.

They are braised until they are fork tender / fall apart.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom