Aladdin's Magic Carpets Rehab

Deputyjc

Original Poster
Does anyone know the status of the rehab of Aladdin's Magic Carpets? Several sites have a rehab from Feb 26 to Mar 10, but the official Disney site has nothing about a rehab. I would be very disappointed if both Aladdin and Dumbo were closed on our upcomming trip. Any info would be great.

RunnerEd

And then they can just take it down and burn it? Yes please?

That's the sentiment of a lot of people on the forums and I totally get it. However, that is one of my 5 year old's favorite attractions; she asks to ride it every time we go in the MK. There is always a line for it and, in my opinion, for the joy that it brings to the younglings, I'm all for leaving it.

MansionGoer13z

Hopefully though I strongly doubt it, is that this refurb will include the dismantling of the Aladdin's Flying Carpets and maybe something relating to the Pirates of the Carribean theme.

Fractal514

I get that kids might like it, but that isn't a good enough argument (to me) for keeping such an eyesore. It's big, bulky, and blocks up the major artery of Adventureland. I'm all for adding something in for the kids, but not another dumbo clone and not in that location, let's add something in the back, past Pirates, to bridge that dead space between the lands.

MarkTwain

Deputy, it's time you learn the greater and much more elevated joys of the Astro Orbiter. You'll never look back at the Magic Carpets. :lol:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I get that kids might like it, but that isn't a good enough argument (to me) for keeping such an eyesore. It's big, bulky, and blocks up the major artery of Adventureland. I'm all for adding something in for the kids, but not another dumbo clone and not in that location, let's add something in the back, past Pirates, to bridge that dead space between the lands.

I've always thought the carpets were much less of an eyesore than Dumbo. Dumbo had elephants on sticks, with little theming around it (note: FLE seems prepared to rectify this, which is great). The Carpets have camels, jewels in the pavement, rockwork in the queue that tries to fit in with the theme of the ride, etc. Plus, it gives those in the area something to see overhead.

Sure, a desert-set attraction across from the entrance to the Tiki room doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but neither does rounding the bend from the south seas of the tiki room and being in the Caribbean. The land is "Adventure"land, and flying on a carpet is just as much an adventure as sailing with pirates, exploring the jungle, being sung to by birds and flowers, or eating pineapple-flavored soft serve!

I would not be opposed at all if they took out Aladdin's Flying Carpets. Considering once the Fantasyland expansion is complete there are going to be two Dumbo rides...

I certainly think they could use that space and put something in that possibly fits the theming of Adventureland more appropriately. I dont have any suggestions as to what - but I just think after Dumbo is complete, there's no need for it.

RunnerEd

I've always thought the carpets were much less of an eyesore than Dumbo. Dumbo had elephants on sticks, with little theming around it (note: FLE seems prepared to rectify this, which is great). The Carpets have camels, jewels in the pavement, rockwork in the queue that tries to fit in with the theme of the ride, etc. Plus, it gives those in the area something to see overhead.

Sure, a desert-set attraction across from the entrance to the Tiki room doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but neither does rounding the bend from the south seas of the tiki room and being in the Caribbean. The land is "Adventure"land, and flying on a carpet is just as much an adventure as sailing with pirates, exploring the jungle, being sung to by birds and flowers, or eating pineapple-flavored soft serve!

Now you have my mouth watering!!!!

zooey

It's not so much the theme as the placement of the ride.

Rowdy

You guys say replace it. With what? It's in the middle of a walk way and it doesn't take up that much space. If you get rid of it all together that's an awful big space just for people to walk through.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
You guys say replace it. With what? It's in the middle of a walk way and it doesn't take up that much space. If you get rid of it all together that's an awful big space just for people to walk through.

Just as it used to be!!
So much better

Rowdy

There's camels in a place that's supposed to be tropical.. how much worse could it be.

See:

I don't think it's that bad, and I don't think anyone but "experts" would even put two and two together. Kinda how you turn the last corner on Tomorrowland Speedway and there's spinning teacups.

I'd consider just a walk way more of a "bad show" than this attraction.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
There's camels in a place that's supposed to be tropical.. how much worse could it be.

You say it's "supposed" to be tropical. And much of what's around it is. But the land isn't "Tropicland", so I'm not all that troubled by Disney deciding that not all of Adventureland needs to be tropical. I do wish I couldn't so easily have in sight the carpets and the tikis. That's jarring. But no more so than several other area of the park. I'd be happy if they moved the carpets (and DHS needs a spinner anyways), but I'd far rather they spent the money on other things.

Heck, go to DLP, widely accepted as the most beautiful of the MK parks (and for good reason). Adventureland Paris has parts themed to Agrabah, Pirates, Lion King, Indiana Jones, Jungle Book, and several others I'm forgetting. It's all over the world. Eclectic, messy, and nonetheless it works OK (at least for me...maybe not for you).

Show should in many cases trump efficiency...it's just a matter whether we agree this is bad show. I think it's plusses in terms of motion and vistas outweigh the negatives of the juxtaposition in themes. So given a choice of the carpets there or nothing, I choose carpets for show...and, of course, for efficiency.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom