"Aladdin" live action movie remake

DonaldDoleWhip

From Aladdin's blank expression to Jafar's bland delivery to the uncanny valley that is Iago the ordinary CGI parrot to the setting that looks straight out of a green screen in Georgia (you've been overplaying that card, Disney) or Bollywood (?), this looks like a straight-up pass.

And that's overlooking the Genie for now.

Oh well. Here's hoping The Lion King isn't a trainwreck.

Mike S

From Aladdin's blank expression to Jafar's bland delivery to the uncanny valley that is Iago the ordinary CGI parrot to the setting that looks straight out of a green screen in Georgia (you've been overplaying that card, Disney) or Bollywood (?), this looks like a straight-up pass.

And that's overlooking the Genie for now.

Oh well. Here's hoping The Lion King isn't a trainwreck.
We’ve seen Iago’s face? Must’ve missed it.

Mike S

Yep, he appears around the 0:19 mark.

A lot of Iago's personality was physical, which has seemingly been nerfed in order to have a real, authentic CGI parrot. A perfect companion for a real, authentically bland villain.
You have to pause it when they show Jafar, he's sitting on his shoulder.
So bland I didn’t even notice. That flew right by me.

erasure fan1

So bland I didn’t even notice. That flew right by me.
That's not hard to understand seeing as how terrible this looks. I would think that the first thing you do before the movie goes into production, is see if you can make the genie work. Because if that doesn't land the movies going to have a huge uphill fight. Nothing in that trailer made me want to see this.

DonaldDoleWhip

Following Beauty and the Beast in particular (the trailer was epic! the movie made $$$! but it was eh), I've become more wary of Disney's live action deluge. Most of them aren't that good, and BatB left a particularly bad taste in my mouth.

Had high hopes for all the Renaissance remakes, but if the marketing can't convince me I'll have a good time, that's not a good sign for the film itself. Because unlike with Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia (Disney made a clear effort to undersell and overdeliver), these remakes are being sold on nostalgia and associations with something we already like. In this case, it's not living up. At all.

Mike S

Following Beauty and the Beast in particular (the trailer was epic! the movie made $$$! but it was eh), I've become more wary of Disney's live action deluge. Most of them aren't that good, and BatB left a particularly bad taste in my mouth.

Had high hopes for all the Renaissance remakes, but if the marketing can't convince me I'll have a good time, that's not a good sign for the film itself. Because unlike with Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia (Disney made a clear effort to undersell and overdeliver), these remakes are being sold on nostalgia and associations with something we already like. In this case, it's not living up. At all.
They should stop after Lion King. I have a lot of faith in that due to Jon Favreau.

NateD1226

DonaldDoleWhip

Improving the CGI won't make up for bland acting and poor direction - already learned that from Beauty and the Beast.

I hate to be negative (especially on a day when they actually deserve kudos; the Frozen 2 teaser was brilliant), but I hope this movie doesn't do well at the box office. Doesn't have to bomb, but something below expectations would be nice. With these live action remakes, something's gotta give, as they've become the new direct-to-video sequel.

Just as Solo was a watershed moment for the Star Wars strategy (i.e. milk the cow dry, subvert expectations for no reason, and turn avid fans into jaded cynics), audiences aren't going to embrace these movies solely because Disney makes them. They have to be good, and compared to Marvel, Pixar, or Disney Animation at this point, they're not on the same tier.

erasure fan1

but I hope this movie doesn't do well at the box office. Doesn't have to bomb, but something below expectations would be nice.
I'll say it, I hope it bombs. They need a swift kick in the rump to get them to see the light in my opinion. Unfortunately I see no chance of a bomb just because the rabid Disney fanbase will see it just because it's Aladdin. But underperform is a real possibility. I just don't think underperform will prompt any changes in their direction.

RandySavage

So am I the only one actually looking forward to this?
No. I like Guy Ritchie (I even enjoyed his King Arthur movie), so I think - if he applies his signature style - it will be an unique take. We haven't seen anything of that style in the teasers so far, so it may surprise people.

Being a movie fan is such a nice respite to the often depressing nature of being a theme park fan (i.e., the built-in impermanence of all its aspects). Even with the endless sequels, remakes, reboots or live-action translations, each can be enjoyed or ignored as desired and the original is always safe (with one notable exception - and hopefully the Fox merger will finally fix that).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom