"Aladdin" live action movie remake

Mike S

The big problem for me, and plenty of others I would assume, is the fact that the original was so good. You aren't going to improve on the original so why bother remaking it. Lets just say that will smith isnt a complete fail and he's not too bad. He will NEVER compare to Robin in that role. It will always be a 2nd fiddle performance. Its also just a lazy effort. Instead of coming up with new classics, just rehash the old ones.
Hear, hear.

I’m excited for Lion King though. Love Jon Favreau.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

Lets just say that will smith isnt a complete fail and he's not too bad. He will NEVER compare to Robin in that role. It will always be a 2nd fiddle performance.
I'm not expecting Robin Williams version 2.0, I'm expecting Will Smith's take on the character.

As much as I like Bill Murray as an actor, I never expected him to top the great Phil Harris when it came to voicing Baloo. Yet he did a good job with his take on it, added some differences while staying true to the character's narrative. It was different, it also had similarities, and it worked (imo).

Still too soon and too little shown for me to declare 'failure' on anything I'm seeing from Aladdin.

Last edited:

mf1972

I'm not expecting Robin Williams version 2.0, I'm expecting Will Smith's take on the character.

As much as I like Bill Murray as an actor, I never expected him to top the great Phil Harris when it came to voicing Baloo The Bear. Yet he did a good job with his take on it, added some differences while staying true to the character's narrative. It was different, it also had similarities, and it worked (imo).

Still too soon and too little shown for me to declare 'failure' on anything I'm seeing from Aladdin.
i wondered how murray would’ve been as the genie. comic wise, i’d thought he’d be great. still big shoes to fill though.

Tick Tock

A couple details from the new trailer that stand out as quite interesting.

It appears there will be some sort of dance / ball event held inside the palace, which will be a nice plus from the original. In the animated version, the palace seemed pretty lifeless for the most part, except for the main leads of Sultan, Jafar, Ali, Jasmine, etc.

Another detail that stood out. Watch around 2:02 into the trailer, and you get a brief glimpse of what looks like a giant Iago chasing Aladdin across rooftops. If that is in fact the case, this will most likely occur after Jafar gets hold of the lamp toward the end, and is going all batship crazy with his powers, and using his sidekick as a weapon. Could be a nice change seeing Iago become a more formidable antagonist, even if briefly.

I still like how it will be Jafar as himself who "befriends" Aladdin and introduces him to the Cave of Wonders, rather than going as the old hermit in disguise. Adds a little more depth to their eventual rivalry.

Tick Tock

Character posters released:

Japanese movie poster showing the magic carpet ride scene:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There was a preview of the live-action "The Lion King" shown before Endgame. I asked my wife about it later after we have been home a few hours. Her reaction mirrors mine - Meh. No desire to see it at all. And I have less than no desire to see "Aladdin". Simply not a fan of these "safe" live-action remakes, which I think are going to become Iger's version of Eisner's direct-to-video sequel-itis. All the creative talent within TWDC and they have to rehash animated classics? (Or maybe this is more indicative that most of the creativity has left the building because it was no longer wanted...)

Disney Analyst

Okay so having watched the Prince Ali snippet out today.... YIKES. I've been holding out hope but they really REALLY dropped the ball with Will Smith. The Genie makes or breaks the entire movie. He has no charisma... no joy. You can't ever replace Robin, but they should have given it to James Monroe Iglehart. He would have killed. It never needed to be a big name, just needed someone really good.

Princess Leia

I haven’t watched the Prince Ali clip, but I’ve come across a few others... and no bueno. People might initially go because it’s Aladdin, but if word gets out that it’s bad, then I don’t see it recovering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom