"Aladdin" live action movie remake

Tony Perkis

There’s a few people I’ve seen say that the parts of Aladdin and Jasmine should’ve gone to the leads of Slumdog Millionaire. After looking them up they definitely look the part and while I don’t really remember the movie I bet they’re great actors too.

For Jafar, even though he was already in Jungle Book, Ben Kingsley would’ve been a great choice imo.
Dev Patel looks too old for the role. He’s a late 20s who looks mid 30’s. I may be biased on this assessment since I watched him from Slumdog through the Newsroom, which only seems like an eternity.

The actress from Power Rangers was a good casting choice.

MrMcDuck

It's a better trailer, but the movie still looks like hot garbage to me.

The CGI is very obvious in this film, especially in the Cave of Wonders and A Whole New World scenes, and therefore it fails at its job.

They've gone for a very Bollywood approach with the crowd scenes in Agrabah. The original film was a mixture of "over there, somewhere" influences, so that's OK even though India and Arabia aren't exactly next to each other, and I like the colors, but based on what little we see, there is something that is a little off. Agrabah doesn't feel like a real place.

Jafar still sounds like a pussy. Jasmine and Aladdin are blah. Obviously these are just impressions based on a few seconds, but only Will Smith seems like a good pick at this point.

Speaking of Will, he looks great in his costume and most of the effects look OK-ish, but the facial animations are weird when he's blue. There would have been an outcry, but they should have nixed his blue form (or just gone for simple makeup with some subtle tweaking).

And, of course, there is still the overall issue that this movie is entirely unnecessary, unoriginal, and an example of everything that is wrong with modern Disney. Pfft!

erasure fan1

And, of course, there is still the overall issue that this movie is entirely unnecessary, unoriginal, and an example of everything that is wrong with modern Disney. Pfft!
That and if you are going to do it, it needs to improve upon the original. So far everything that has been seen so far, looks like a bad imitation of the original.

RandySavage

The Studio's strategy has become routine. They release about 10-12 big movies annually.
2-3 Marvels
2-3 Live Action Remakes of Dis Classics
1 Pixar
1 WD Animation
1 Lucasfilm (mostly Star Wars)
1 DisneyNature
2-3 "original" movies, either adapted or original screenplays (e.g. BFG or Nutcracker).

The originals tend to be the lower earners.

Aladdin looks safe and par for the course (similar to B&B). I find them to be a kind of interesting exercise, and if they didn't make them, they'd probably try to squeeze in 2 more Marvel movies, which is too much.

This trailer makes me think a new live action Sinbad franchise could be a good stand-in for Pirates of the Caribbean, though Prince of Persia may have nixed that.

Princess Leia

Alan Tudyk to voice Iago
Well that alone just got me to see the movie (probably). I’m still not sold on the new trailer but I love Alan Tudyk.

Tony Perkis

The most recent trailer looks much, much better than the teaser, and while I’m still convinced it’s a thankless job, the directorial decision to switch from floating genie in blue real person genie in when just wandering is a great decision.

Which begs the question: how did Disney marketing not know that the original teaser would be met with hostility?

Tick Tock

I get that these live-action remakes aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'm just not getting the HATE this one is receiving. So far it seems pretty loyal to the animated classic. But then, so did BaTB, which was a disappointment in my book.

I'll remain optimistic about Aladdin and see what the final product delivers. Will it be a Jungle Book 👍 or a BaTB 👎. Time will tell. From everything shown so far, I'm still on board.

erasure fan1

I get that these live-action remakes aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'm just not getting the HATE this one is receiving. So far it seems pretty loyal to the animated classic. But then, so did BaTB, which was a disappointment in my book.

I'll remain optimistic about Aladdin and see what the final product delivers. Will it be a Jungle Book 👍 or a BaTB 👎. Time will tell. From everything shown so far, I'm still on board.
The big problem for me, and plenty of others I would assume, is the fact that the original was so good. You aren't going to improve on the original so why bother remaking it. Lets just say that will smith isnt a complete fail and he's not too bad. He will NEVER compare to Robin in that role. It will always be a 2nd fiddle performance. Its also just a lazy effort. Instead of coming up with new classics, just rehash the old ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom